[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Regular servers or stay at reboot?

Keats145Keats145
in General Chat
Hey y'all as the title suggests im trying to decide between regular servers and reboot. Been on reboot since it came out and ive had a great time but lately ive thought about finally returning to the regular servers.

I have a ton of old characters on Elysium but i know that server isnt as popular. Im willing to start fresh.

My main concerns is will i have to spend a ton of real life money to get strong. I know you have to buy black/red/green bonus in the cash shop and im worried ill spend too much. Also it would be hard coming back without knowing anyone so if i do rejoin would anyone be there to chat with me? Or still mostly a solo do your own thing like in the olden days.

What else should i know about regular servers over reboot?

Ty all!! Hope to see y'all soon

Comments

• BlasterMasterBlasterMaster
    Reactions: 1,395
    edited December 2020
    Let me let you in on a little secret.

Nexon created the Reboot servers because they were sick of players calling them greedy crooks with a "free to play, pay to win" game (even though the Cash Shop is their only means of actual profit and the reason you can play for free in the first place), and released Reboot to teach them a lesson.

Even if that isn't true, Reboot is seriously NOT for beginners. If you really want a challenge, maybe, but IMOHO, it's not worth the effort.
  • YoshumariYoshumari
    Reactions: 2,075
    edited December 2020
    Going to have to go with what BladeMaster said...

If you're wanting to get back on the regular servers but have ANY modicum of power, you HAVE to spend money, there is no way around it. Or be a absolute GOD in the Auction house, or grind your soul away with Drop skills/Link Skills/Event coupons that boost drop rates to get Meso and buy the more powerful equipment IN the auction house no body is using/wants anymore.

You CAN get power if you don't want to spend money... but it will take literal YEARS of playing to get there. Heck, I've been playing for a long time myself (grandfathered in from Broa to Elysium) and I'm pretty underpowered myself even with the little bit of money I've spent over the years. The best you can hope for in regular servers is to get hooked up with a guild that has a few powerful players to carry you through bosses and it will speed up the process to get the equips, but you still have to the put in the work yourself to cube/star/flame.

But if you manage to get enough players together that have been using what drops and using in game tools like fusion/spell traces/star power to get a tiny bit of power, you could equal one really powerful player, though you'd need like 10-15 of them.

TL;DR: No/little real money = no significant power

Y.K.
  • Penguinz0Penguinz0
    Reactions: 3,220
    edited December 2020
    Keats145 wrote: »
    Hey y'all as the title suggests im trying to decide between regular servers and reboot. Been on reboot since it came out and ive had a great time but lately ive thought about finally returning to the regular servers.

I have a ton of old characters on Elysium but i know that server isnt as popular. Im willing to start fresh.

My main concerns is will i have to spend a ton of real life money to get strong. I know you have to buy black/red/green bonus in the cash shop and im worried ill spend too much. Also it would be hard coming back without knowing anyone so if i do rejoin would anyone be there to chat with me? Or still mostly a solo do your own thing like in the olden days.

What else should i know about regular servers over reboot?

Ty all!! Hope to see y'all soon

ehh I honestly don't think "You have to spend money to get strong in regular server" is not so true anymore, and I DEFNITELY believe that regular server is much easier than reboot server. They changed a lot of things that allowed better f2p style in regular servers. For one, my guildies and I have noticed significant drop increase in meister and master craftsman cube from bossing (weekly and dailies). Getting your gear to unique is not all that difficult anymore. Another big thing is that price of meso has significantly increased over the years. It used to be that ~1 billion meso was worth ~$1, now 1 billion meso is worth around $14-16. Once you really settle in regular server, you can save up meso to buy yourself good amount of R/B cubes during sales. Price of stuffs in AH, such as unique tier items, nodestones, cra gears, boss accessory and misc such as cubic blades have significantly dropped. If you max level your craftsman skill, you can churn out master craftsman cubes yourself, which makes unique tier easier to achieve. Combined with a lot of coin shop events that brings in a lot of goods like flames, cubes and star force scrolls, it's much easier to get your main to at least c vel solo range than reboot server.

Other things that I like in regular server over reboot is that making legion/link characters are much easier in regular. You can make tradable pensalir mule gears (epic 2 lines, 70% scroll, and 10 star) and rotate them around to raise your legion/link characters, as opposed to reboot where you have to start mule character's gear from scratch. Plus, you can enjoy perks like Burning World if you're playing regular server.

All in all, you will most likely spend a few bucks in regular server, but I'm saying that it doesn't have to be huge to enjoy the game. I've spent around $200-250 since I rejoined 5 years ago, and I'm currently 31k stat.

Also, with future update where they're deleting exp loss system and increasing max meso capacity, regular server is gonna be even more better than reboot. You'll no longer be able to suicide and grind until you have enough meso to make your gear good enough for next mob field in reboot. And max meso capcity increase will get better gears that were only traded with real money into auction house for you to buy in regular server.