[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Add European Characters

JqnsonJqnson
Reactions: 820
Member, Private Tester
edited November 2016 in Suggestions, Feedback, and Requests
Hey since europe recently got merge into global i would think that its fair characters like æøå for danish and åäö for swedish and probably a whole lot more became available in the chat ingame (leave comments with other languages that are restricted guys)

i was told that these are removed due to being used to avoid the chat filter which is understandable but that was before europe had access to gms now that we do its restricting alot of different languages so a change like this would be a nice way to welcome europe to gms :)

1. Frustrated by this? (only if your affected)24 votes
    1. Yes
       75% (18 votes)
    2. No
       25% (6 votes)

Comments

• DoughnyDoughny
    Reactions: 320
    edited November 2016
    I agree, it is quite frustrating to type in swedish to my friends in-game.
    MakeMapleGreatAgain
  • GimoGimo
    Reactions: 1,100
    edited November 2016
    Our chat system is borked in so many ways. If they were to add even more ways to break it, it would probably collapse on itself.
    Aramy
  • AramyAramy
    Reactions: 1,190
    Member, Private Tester
    edited November 2016
    Gimo
    Gimo said:

Our chat system is borked in so many ways. If they were to add even more ways to break it, it would probably collapse on itself.
    only love the irony the cursing on other laguages usually is censored but on english works 100%
    the europe got way + symbols like latin origin laguages hav ç õ ã á à é è í ì ó ò ú ù â ô

always thought ems chat censor was anoying but compared to gms char censor was way better, really way better. At least the sender and receiver knew where censor was and there were tricks to avoid it (while on gms only receiver usually see's making comunication harder, censor are unavoiable wich doesnt make any sence since english cursing words mostly are uncensored)

best would be remove censor, let those special symbols needed to comunicate on other languages that aren't english and enable people to report when needed...
    making gms be even + global
    SlicedTime
  • JqnsonJqnson
    Member, Private Tester
    edited November 2016
    honestly i think its fine that they add censored words but it would be logical to add an option to turn it off maybe with a warning or something for kids playing this game :)
  • ASoggyRatASoggyRat
    Reactions: 740
    edited November 2016
    I'm guessing part of the reason these characters don't work in game is because using them in words might allow you to bypass the chat filter. It'd be nice though. I only speak English myself, but I can understand why it would bother you, and I'd like to see this implemented. I wouldn't expect this to be done soon though but it would be nice to at least know that Nexon are aware that people want this.
  • JqnsonJqnson
    Member, Private Tester
    edited March 2017
    20uqqo1.jpg
    we cant use æ but bugs are allowed too hows that fair? :(
    Shippou
  • NeospectorNeospector
    Reactions: 9,760
    Volunteer Forum Moderator
    edited March 2017
    Jqnson wrote: »
    20uqqo1.jpg
    we cant use æ but bugs are allowed too hows that fair? :(

???
    M8BFaP3.png
    The font is slightly weird, but all characters in this thread are working fine for me.
  • FennekinFennekin
    Reactions: 2,941
    Member, Private Tester
    edited March 2017
    On some of my laptops, the special characters don't work for some reason (they show up as random regular characters). Wondering if it's cuz I have the locale set to Japan lol. Might be related, but on that particular laptop I also remember apostrophes showing up as f's in dialogue boxes.
  • HHG1HHG1
    Reactions: 5,986
    Member, Private Tester
    edited March 2017
    @Neospector Did you copy-paste the characters into the game to demonstrate it? If so, yes they get entered and display. But entering them through a foreign keyboard/locale doesn't get registered by the client.
    Source: I'm Swedish.
    SlicedTime
  • StéphyStéphy
    Reactions: 1,440
    edited March 2017
    Yep totally agreed.
    My real name Stéphanie can't even be typed in this game.
    Also i had to waste 15 euro on a name change cause nobody was able to 'party invite, whisper, chat, .. ' whatever without having to go trough all the lists to do those stuff. So to make it easier for my friends and myself (them complains/me who had to poke them all the time for a simple invite etc) i dropped the é out of my ign by paying for something nexon should actually not block in the first place.
    -yup i went from Stéphy to Stephy- lolz.

If you merge with another part of your nexon company where such things were allowed, you should either accept it aswell in this game or come up with a solution where the player isn't benefit on negative point.

Belgium-
    SlicedTime
  • NeospectorNeospector
    Reactions: 9,760
    Volunteer Forum Moderator
    edited March 2017
    SadVirgin wrote: »
    @Neospector Did you copy-paste the characters into the game to demonstrate it? If so, yes they get entered and display. But entering them through a foreign keyboard/locale doesn't get registered by the client.

In that case that's a completely different issue. I can double-check alt codes to see if they work too, but if there's a problem with foreign keyboards I won't be able to replicate it myself.
    The game does render the characters, there's just a problem with the keyboards submitting them. Maple is coded rather weirdly for keys (hence why we only recently got to move our screenshot key off of Scroll Lock). For now, copy-paste might be your best friend for character creation/shop naming/etc.
  • HHG1HHG1
    Reactions: 5,986
    Member, Private Tester
    edited March 2017
    Entering ´ and e does not result in é, etc. I have ä as a key on my keyboard because Sweden and that doesn't get registered, neither does ¨ and a in combination though.

They made it work in the EMS client so I don't see why it can't be done for GMS now that accented characters are available and being used by pretty much everyone. It's a real hassle for things like whispering/invites and for people who prefer chatting with friends in their first language.
    Shippou
  • JqnsonJqnson
    Member, Private Tester
    edited March 2017
    Ah didnt know you could actually copy paste them in but yeah nothing happens when you use the keys on a danish keyboard :)
  • AKradianAKradian
    Reactions: 40,310
    Member, Private Tester
    edited March 2017
    Neospector wrote: »
    SadVirgin wrote: »

In that case that's a completely different issue. I can double-check alt codes to see if they work too, but if there's a problem with foreign keyboards I won't be able to replicate it myself.
    The game does render the characters, there's just a problem with the keyboards submitting them. Maple is coded rather weirdly for keys (hence why we only recently got to move our screenshot key off of Scroll Lock). For now, copy-paste might be your best friend for character creation/shop naming/etc.

Copy-paste is not a solution if you're trying to chat with your friends in a foreign language.

Then again, what with the absurd chat censor and the chat window being full of spam all the time, more and more people are moving to Discord anyway.