[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Server Time still in UTC?

TubaTuba
Reactions: 3,175
edited November 2016 in General Chat
Title basically says all... Thought it would have been changed in this maintenance lol.

Comments

• PhoenixKumoPhoenixKumo
    Reactions: 2,730
    edited November 2016
    It's sticking that way. They even indirectly announced as much here in the paragraph after the first set of bullet points:

http://maplestory.nexon.net/news/18598/maple-memo-global-migration-complete
  • TubaTuba
    edited November 2016
    PhoenixKumo

It's sticking that way. They even indirectly announced as much here in the paragraph after the first set of bullet points:

If it's sticking that way I'm not sure why they would then make a poll on the forums asking us what time zone we want after a lot of people got mad at them for changing the time zone to a UTC time zone out of the blue. And the option on the poll that got the most votes was,
    "Use PST for the North American server and Central European Time (CET) for the European server."
    47% (250 votes)
    , as this should have been done in the first place as adjusting the time zones to each region makes more sense than putting the Europe AND North American server in UTC time. So since they asked us how we want the time zones and majority of the players wants this change, I'm not so sure why the changes haven't been made in the maintenance today.

deadend5193
  • PhoenixKumoPhoenixKumo
    edited November 2016
    Tuba
    Tuba said:

PhoenixKumo

If it's sticking that way I'm not sure why they would then make a poll on the forums asking us what time zone we want after a lot of people got mad at them for changing the time zone to a UTC time zone out of the blue. And the option on the poll that got the most votes was,
    "Use PST for the North American server and Central European Time (CET) for the European server."
    47% (250 votes)
    , as this should have been done in the first place as adjusting the time zones to each region makes more sense than putting the Europe AND North American server in UTC time. So since they asked us how we want the time zones and majority of the players wants this change, I'm not so sure why the changes haven't been made in the maintenance today.

Yeah, I'm not too happy about this either, but since I know Nexon isn't going to do jack for player comfort, I'm just trying to roll with it. Putting out a poll when they were going to ignore players anyway does piss me off though.
  • XariappaXariappa
    Reactions: 655
    edited November 2016
    Yeah, I was hoping that we would go back to PST for GMS too. Not too happy about still being on UTC either. Makes things so much more complicated, like doing my farms. Nurture counts get reset in the middle of the afternoon. Guild supplies can be obtained from Sunday afternoon till Monday afternoon, instead of during Monday. So have to make sure I get my guild supplies before Monday 4PM PST, at which time I still am at work. Not happy, Nexon! And what is the use of the poll????? Or are they going to change it in the near future????????
    TubaLilyflower
  • Mallow256Mallow256
    Reactions: 1,060
    edited November 2016
    The poll doesn't mention anything along the lines of "we will change the timezone to whatever option wins", so it can be taken as a public opinion poll meant to gather some data. Nothing I can possibly type can express how ridiculous of a change I think this was, especially how it was just dropped on us during a patch notes revision. But whatever, they did it, and now we have to #dealwithit because... well because. And now that we have a 2x coming up we can see what they decided to do with that... "Pacific: 12:00 AM – 3:00 AM & 10:00 AM – 1:00 PM & 6:00 PM – 9:00 PM" three periods of 3 hrs instead of 2 periods of 4 hrs. So yeah, if you're gonna buy a 2x cash shop coupon for the event, then be prepared to only get 3 hrs of the combined exp boost. On the bright side, the 1 day coupon becomes slightly more valuable, but then again, how many of us are really open for all 2x periods with that large time spread? I, for one, can pretty much never hit up the 12am-3am one nowadays, and might be able to make use of the final 40-30 minutes of 10am-1pm depending on my work schedule, which leaves 6pm-9pm mostly open for me, but its also during dinner, so theres an interruption there.

And if you're gonna talk about the poll results you might as well combine the lines "change back to pst" and "change back to pst, use cet for europe server" because both of them ask for pst back for the NA servers. So its more like 73% of votes for pst back.
  • XariappaXariappa
    edited November 2016
    Snippet from their maintenance completion notes: "we understand that players are upset that this shift in times has made some content more inconvenient for some players". So the NA population constitutes only a small fraction of the GMS player base????? 73 % of the voters wants to go back to PST for GMS so I would say that it is inconvenient for a lot of players. But that is my humble opinion :-(
  • Mallow256Mallow256
    edited November 2016
    Xariappa
    Xariappa said:

73 % of the voters wants to go back to PST for GMS so I would say that it is inconvenient for a lot of players. But that is my humble opinion :-(
    As much as I'd love to go back to pst (really convenient having the server time be your time), the poll isn't the best basis for them reverting the change. There are only 528 votes in that poll as of right now, which does seem pretty large for this forum yeah? But I imagine the maple population is quite larger than that... I have no idea where to start a guess for the population of unique players in maplestory currently, so I'm just going to go with what I think is a super conservative guess and say there are 10k unique players, meaning that 528 votes is representative of 5.28% of the population, and only 73% of that 5.28% favors going back to pst. But then again, it can be really difficult to get people to vote in polls, so I think the turnout is actually pretty good all things considered.
  • PhoenixKumoPhoenixKumo
    edited November 2016
    Mallow256
    Mallow256 said:

The poll doesn't mention anything along the lines of "we will change the timezone to whatever option wins", so it can be taken as a public opinion poll meant to gather some data. Nothing I can possibly type can express how ridiculous of a change I think this was, especially how it was just dropped on us during a patch notes revision. But whatever, they did it, and now we have to #dealwithit because... well because. And now that we have a 2x coming up we can see what they decided to do with that... "Pacific: 12:00 AM – 3:00 AM & 10:00 AM – 1:00 PM & 6:00 PM – 9:00 PM" three periods of 3 hrs instead of 2 periods of 4 hrs. So yeah, if you're gonna buy a 2x cash shop coupon for the event, then be prepared to only get 3 hrs of the combined exp boost. On the bright side, the 1 day coupon becomes slightly more valuable, but then again, how many of us are really open for all 2x periods with that large time spread? I, for one, can pretty much never hit up the 12am-3am one nowadays, and might be able to make use of the final 40-30 minutes of 10am-1pm depending on my work schedule, which leaves 6pm-9pm mostly open for me, but its also during dinner, so theres an interruption there.

And if you're gonna talk about the poll results you might as well combine the lines "change back to pst" and "change back to pst, use cet for europe server" because both of them ask for pst back for the NA servers. So its more like 73% of votes for pst back.
    This thread is slightly different in that it's not asking to change the standard time to something else, just a thread expressing disbelief that UTC is still a thing.

So if they didn't open that poll to gather player opinions in order to consider change, what the hell are they using that data for? Purely to see how many players they've screwed over? To see just how many people they've pissed off? Maybe it's because I have a small brain, but I cannot think of any conceivable reason why you would put up this poll if you're not even going to change anything. It just misleads people.
    Tuba
  • AKradianAKradian
    Reactions: 40,310
    Member, Private Tester
    edited November 2016
    PhoenixKumo

So if they didn't open that poll to gather player opinions in order to consider change, what the hell are they using that data for? Purely to see how many players they've screwed over? To see just how many people they've pissed off? Maybe it's because I have a small brain, but I cannot think of any conceivable reason why you would put up this poll if you're not even going to change anything. It just misleads people.
    You need to remember that the person who put the poll up is not the person who has the authority to decide what the server time will be.
    It may be that KThxBaiNao created the poll in order to have some numbers to show his superiors when asking them to change the server time back.
    Hopefully he can convince them.
    TubaLilyflower
  • PhoenixKumoPhoenixKumo
    edited November 2016
    AKradian
    AKradian said:

PhoenixKumo

You need to remember that the person who put the poll up is not the person who has the authority to decide what the server time will be.
    It may be that KThxBaiNao created the poll in order to have some numbers to show his superiors when asking them to change the server time back.
    Something tells me that if they're not going to change it now, they're never going to change it because once V update hits, they'll be too busy with that to even think about changing server times, not to mention that doing so would mess with the load of major events they have in line and release dates. After, it'll be too settled and by then, it'll be moot point to bring it up again. Maybe they're lowkey hoping that we'll all just forget about it after V.
  • EliseElise
    Reactions: 1,750
    edited November 2016
    Darn, I was hoping they would have changed it back in this maintenance. It is super inconvenient for me for the game to be on UTC. I had friends on other sites that went off of UTC, and it was always really hard to get to talk live because they were on at like 3 am, and left at my 5 pm or so, before I could talk to them (I was sleeping or at school/gone). Meaning a lot of Maple's events will be like them. >_<. Hard to catch. And since when is America a small percentage of users? I had always thought gMS is larger than ems.
    Why did they do that poll if it doesn't count? I mean, even Pacific time is bad for me (I'm in Central time.. two hours difference is even annoying.), but at least it didn't mean everything happens during my sleeping or work hours.
    Tuba
  • TubaTuba
    edited November 2016
    AKradian
    AKradian said:

PhoenixKumo

Good point. I really hope they can change the time zones back because I couldn't think of any other reason why the poll would be made.
  • SorrowSorrow
    Reactions: 2,780
    Member, Private Tester
    edited November 2016
    From what i understand some things are still in PST but the server are in UTC? I'm confused ;-;
    CS specials/micro-site updates and other things seem to still be at the 12pm PST
  • Mallow256Mallow256
    edited November 2016
    PhoenixKumo

This thread is slightly different in that it's not asking to change the standard time to something else, just a thread expressing disbelief that UTC is still a thing.
    You should be asking for a revert. They changed something important to many of us without asking for any input from us. But no wait! they put up a poll after the fact, so its all good right? totally. :/
    Tuba
  • BIackbeanBIackbean
    Reactions: 3,450
    edited November 2016
    i like UTC, not really effecting me
  • XariappaXariappa
    edited November 2016
    As for the total number of votes, probably only a small population of the players actually follows/participates in the forums so the poll shows the results of the people active in the forums. Whether that is a valid representation of the total population? I don't know, but the majority of the people active in the forums wants to go back to PST so that still would make it a strong argument to go back, in my opinion.
    Tuba
  • TubaTuba
    edited November 2016
    Xariappa
    Xariappa said:

As for the total number of votes, probably only a small population of the players actually follows/participates in the forums so the poll shows the results of the people active in the forums. Whether that is a valid representation of the total population? I don't know, but the majority of the people active in the forums wants to go back to PST so that still would make it a strong argument to go back, in my opinion.
    True not every player uses the forums, but I don't think it would make the results too different. I honestly feel like a majority of people don't like UTC time. On a side note my buddies have been mad about the time change as well and they have told me they don't use the forums. But I still don't understand why they would put the North American server in a UTC time zone because I feel like it's so inconvenient for people who have to work or go to school, not to mention everyone is so used to the PST time zone and having the time zone changed is just really annoying. And I never really heard anyone saying the PST time zone is inconvenient for them.
    deadend5193
  • PetalmagicPetalmagic
    Reactions: 7,660
    edited November 2016
    Tuba
    Tuba said:

Xariappa
    Xariappa said:

True not every player uses the forums, but I don't think it would make the results too different. I honestly feel like a majority of people don't like UTC time. On a side note my buddies have been mad about the time change as well and they have told me they don't use the forums. But I still don't understand why they would put the North American server in a UTC time zone because I feel like it's so inconvenient for people who have to work or go to school, not to mention everyone is so used to the PST time zone and having the time zone changed is just really annoying. And I never really heard anyone saying the PST time zone is inconvenient for them.
    Unfortunately for me...being a student with classes in the afternoons...I just don't have enough time to do all of my dailies due to this reset...If I do dailies mainly in the evening, I get burnt out and go to bed...but then I have to try and cram all of my daily bosses in the morning...which I cannot do. I really want the server time back to PST...
    Tubadeadend5193
  • XariappaXariappa
    edited November 2016
    And changing it back to PST would most likely be just changing the timezone of the servers. I don't think they changed anything in the game itself for this change to UTC.
  • TubaTuba
    edited November 2016
    Petalmagic

Tuba
    Tuba said:

Xariappa
    Xariappa said:

Unfortunately for me...being a student with classes in the afternoons...I just don't have enough time to do all of my dailies due to this reset...If I do dailies mainly in the evening, I get burnt out and go to bed...but then I have to try and cram all of my daily bosses in the morning...which I cannot do. I really want the server time back to PST...
    Ahh I'm sorry. :/ I totally understand though because I'm in a central time zone so for me the reset is at 8:00pm which is really sucks because I have a lot of stuff to do during the day and I usually miss my resets. So when I do manage to get on it's literally like 9:00pm or 10:00pm but the reset has already happened by then. I've played the game since the beta release on and off but I'm really considering quitting. Not just because of the horrid time change that happened out of the blue, but so many other things that have been going on that I just don't agree with.