[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts
Closed

Guild Names

PorterPorter
Reactions: 1,135
edited December 2016 in Suggestions, Feedback, and Requests
This suggestion is quite simple.

Just as how Maple did the Name Change event about a year ago, this should be possible for guilds. Not to change their names again and again, but make old guild names taken by players who have not logged on since a certain time frame, available again. It is unfair to other players who are surely to play the game and be active, who want certain guild names, to be unable to make or join them! (But with guilds, it is a bit more tricky to do that for, possibly.)
So my afterthought is, to help with this, make the guild salvageable by the Guild Master/a Junior by having a guild message pop up for a certain length of time and having them accept the message in order to keep the guild's name from being changed to the same "#set-of-numbers" as the name changes were.
I used to play in Nova server with some friends but when we all quit and I came back, the server alliances had taken place and my guild's name was changed into a sub guild to make up for the other servers' guilds that had the same guild name: "Example_3". When I opened my guild tab, I was prompted with a message that made me change my guild's name into something else. This same thing could be applied to the guilds that were changed into "#set-of-numbers" in case these players ever do return to the game.
Note: "In case they do return to the game" could be a reasoning with being against this idea, however, Name Change still took place and I've met a decent amount of returning players with the # IGNs.

P.S. I'd like to find that master-post on a Guild Revamp from the old forums. I really liked the ideas that were on it. Especially in terms of having more than one guild master in case the original one quits or something happens and they cannot transfer the guild over. If anyone knows if a new one was created, or if it had been moved over to the new forum, please let me know! (If you don't agree with this idea, please do not comment with unnecessary feedback such as "lol I don't think that's gonna work" because I'm well aware of the chances of this happening! But if you feel that you could add on or alter the idea in a way that would be more plausible, please do!)
  1. Would you like to see this?1 vote
    1. Yes, give us the chance to make cool guild names that have been taken by people who don't log on!
       100% (1 vote)
    2. No. First come, first served. Leave the guild names alone!
       0% (0 votes)

Comments

• TempWindiaTempWindia
    Reactions: 740
    edited December 2016
    I think it's a good idea but at the same time unlike igns, a lot of guild names are very old and known, so I don't see any popular guilds wanting to change their guild names. That's just my opinion if I could change my guild name I wouldn't as that's the guild I'm defined by and don't want to reset my reputation again
  • JaridavinJaridavin
    Reactions: 435
    edited December 2016
    TempWindia

I think it's a good idea but at the same time unlike igns, a lot of guild names are very old and known, so I don't see any popular guilds wanting to change their guild names. That's just my opinion if I could change my guild name I wouldn't as that's the guild I'm defined by and don't want to reset my reputation again
    It's for those that just haven't been here for a long time. It's hard for guilds to be "known" when nobody logs in with them.
    Porter
  • CuckCuck
    Reactions: 745
    edited December 2016
    Maybe you should try being creative when naming a guild. I'm sure the one you have in mind is a generic forgettable single word. Comparing a guild name to player igns is a terrible comparison because nobody creates a guild name for each character they own.
  • PorterPorter
    edited December 2016
    Cuck
    Cuck said:

Maybe you should try being creative when naming a guild. I'm sure the one you have in mind is a generic forgettable single word. Comparing a guild name to player igns is a terrible comparison because nobody creates a guild name for each character they own.
    You're right, but it's not about trying to make it generic or anything. Say you and your friends have this undying insider that happens to be generic but it's taken so you can't make it together. Aside from being taken, say you guys wouldn't mind joining it under whoever leads it, but they've quit and won't come back to the game...
    What it's about is allowing players who will actually make use of the guild name (because they are actually active and play) to be in it. A lot of guilds make their own name based off of its members, but I think some of us would be lying if we said the name of the guild did not matter to us.
  • AramyAramy
    Reactions: 1,190
    Member, Private Tester
    edited December 2016
    Porter
    Porter said:

Cuck
    Cuck said:

You're right, but it's not about trying to make it generic or anything. Say you and your friends have this undying insider that happens to be generic but it's taken so you can't make it together. Aside from being taken, say you guys wouldn't mind joining it under whoever leads it, but they've quit and won't come back to the game...
    What it's about is allowing players who will actually make use of the guild name (because they are actually active and play) to be in it. A lot of guilds make their own name based off of its members, but I think some of us would be lying if we said the name of the guild did not matter to us.
    an idea i could suggest you is try write the guild name u want on another language like for example leaf/hoja/folha (all means same just on a different language)
    personally i dun think it would be a good idea since some ppl could take as advange of rly old guild names reputation
  • PorterPorter
    edited December 2016
    Aramy
    Aramy said:

an idea i could suggest you is try write the guild name u want on another language like for example leaf/hoja/folha (all means same just on a different language)
    personally i dun think it would be a good idea since some ppl could take as advange of rly old guild names reputation
    I've considered the different languages, but not everyone would understand the name of the guild without an explanation, which would make recruiting a bit difficult, and limiting the guild to not really having diversity among players. But I haven't considered that others would take advantage of old guild names. Although the same easily applied to Name Change. Old big-time maplers (with the exception of making it to Lv200) could've had their IGNs changed, thus making it available again for newer players to create and even pretend to be. [Although many decent, yes generic, names were taken by botters/greedy players who only wish to sell the IGN to profit off the game, which once again leaves us with unfairness] -- Guilds are different. People pay more attention to guild names and its members and alliances, so old reputations will not matter. It would be obvious to the player base whether or not the guild is the same. (Is it offensive to old guilds that once left a good name if their name is recycled by newer generations and a bad reputation was made of it..? Probably. But are these players still around? No.) Maple keeps evolving and the newer generations of the player base immensely differs from the old. These guild names should be renewed or made "new" again for the newer generations. Whether or not they make or break the guild name, that has nothing to do with us who are not a part of that guild.

E.g. I'm sure someone had "Porter" as their forum name in the old forum, but here I am with this name now, in the new forum.

Maple already turned the tables with the argument of originality when they did Name Change. I don't quite see the harm or ultimate difference with a Guild Name Change.
    Cuck's argument was that "Comparing a guild name to player igns is a terrible comparison because nobody creates a guild name for each character they own." but that's not what my comparison implies. I used the Name Change as an example solely for the purpose of bringing to attention that Name Change happened regardless of arguments similar to the ones being made.

We have a rather stingy player-base: Holding IGNs and not using them and only doing so for the purpose of not allowing others to use it -- or because they wish to sell it. I'd say the same applies to many guild names even (possibly not with the selling guild names, although holding guild names for the purpose of not wanting others to use it is definite). Why allow quitters to keep them? I'm especially talking about guilds that haven't had a single member log in since 3+ years ago; guilds with leaders and juniors whose IGNs were changed into the "#set-of-numbers" because they also have not logged into the game for a long time and probably will not return to the game. Reputation or not, the fact is the members of the old guilds no longer play and therefore these decent guild names are taken up for what? Any guild created before 2013 should be looked over for renewal. That's my ultimate suggestion. But yes, I also do suggest that this apply to newer guilds as well since players could come in and take the guild name 'just because' and never log back into the server.

P.S. I apologize for writing such a lengthy reply, but as I've said, I'm aware of the chances of this not working, as well as I have thought out many different possibilities and counter-arguments for anything that could go wrong with this.
  • PorterPorter
    edited June 2020
    Bringing this back because I still think this would be good for GMS's regular servers. Reboot doesn't seem to have this problem. I'm also not as passionate about this since I've been able to make/join guilds I find relevant to me (such as names of shows I like or things I like in general)
This discussion has been closed.