[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

A question about the TOS and custom content

ManaAriaManaAria
Reactions: 1,000
edited December 2016 in General Chat
Hi there,

The short of this question is: would creating something like custom skill animations and plugging them in client-side (meaning they would only effect myself or someone else who had the same files) be against the Terms of Service?

I've been futzing around with the idea of doing this for a while, especially after seeing this a few years back, and would love to try my hand at something similar now that I'm somewhat confident in what I can create. The problem with this being that I'm unsure if I would be able to do something like this without it being bannable, which would kind of kill the point.

As clarification, I'm talking about a purely cosmetic change to the skills. Nothing that would change how anything works in the game, nothing that changes any numbers or be considered 'hacking' by most. I just want to try to make pretty things for a game that has really inspired me art-wise.

Comments

• NeospectorNeospector
    Reactions: 9,760
    Volunteer Forum Moderator
    edited December 2016
    Since the skill animations are stored inside the game files, I wouldn't risk it.

That being said, there has been at least three separate games that I know of using Maple sprites with custom animations (FinalStory, the Learn Japanese game, and that one guy who made a game to propose to his girlfriend) and numerous animations, so you're not the only one who's been inspired to create their own stuff. If you want to show off any work you've done, you can do so in the fan creations forum and on the subreddit. But I wouldn't suggest modifying the game files themselves.
    ManaAria
  • ManaAriaManaAria
    Reactions: 1,000
    edited December 2016
    Alright, thanks for the quick reply! It's a bit disappointing, but I may still try my hand at making them!