[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Chat Censor/Filter Option

CobainCobain
Reactions: 780
edited January 2017 in Suggestions, Feedback, and Requests
I feel the chat censor is outdated and useless now. I started playing Maple back in '07 when Mardia was a new server and I think the chat filter is the same as it was back then. We used to experiment to find out which combination of words would get Filtered. I'm posting this requesting an option to disable the chat filter as per Client side only. So if I disable the filter, when someone says something that would normally be censored out, I can still see their original message.
I think this would actually be a much better implement then actually getting rid of the filter all together. I know some kids that know more curse words then I do and I'm 31 years old. Also, some of the things that are censored out, aren't even curse words. Like cc8 is censored out, but there is nothing innapropriate there. Even in slang, or 1337 speak, that still means nothing. It would be nice to understand what ppl in my guild/alliance/game chat were trying to say without having to ask them to repeat themselves in seperate lines as their chat was censored.
KisjSinDitBRGoldAdventurer
  1. Would you like this feature?17 votes
    1. Yes
       94% (16 votes)
    2. No
       0% (0 votes)
    3. Don't care
       6% (1 vote)

Comments

• KisjKisj
    Reactions: 1,100
    edited January 2017
    Let's make this happen people!
    Cobain
  • PetalmagicPetalmagic
    Reactions: 7,660
    edited January 2017
    ...and some of us remember when they did remove the filter...the community quickly had shown how "mature" they could be with it :T
    NeospectorKlara
  • UzumeUzume
    Reactions: 2,525
    edited January 2017
    @Petalmagic
    Eeh, I've played games without a filter and they weren't that bad honestly. I think Maple's problem was that it was a new thing, not to mention mostly everyone knew it was a bug, so they all abused it. Give it a week or two and things would've settled down. Never judge something based on initial reaction, because that's when things are the most hyped up.

Though, since the filter will most likely never be removed, I think it'd be best for Maple to just create a new censorship system. Because theirs is terrible. Maybe something like Mabinogi, where you can actually see your message censored instead of having to be told and going through a hard time trying to figure out the problem (which could teach people new "bad words" anyway lol.)
    DreamWeaver
  • IvangoldIvangold
    Reactions: 2,985
    edited January 2017
    I guess we will have to wait KMS do it, and i don't know when it will happen, they problably care for their image and there should be children playing there...so parents wouldn't like a off filter, same can go to here. For someone who don't only speak englesh wold surely help, but as @PetalMagic sayed our last atitude made they take a step back on this one.
  • CobainCobain
    edited January 2017
    I'm not saying that if we toggle it off for ourselves, then everyone can see what we say without a filter. I mean to just disable on our side. So like, I could disable the filter on my end, and nothing I see, would be censored.
  • FennekinFennekin
    Reactions: 2,941
    Member, Private Tester
    edited January 2017
    Petalmagic

...and some of us remember when they did remove the filter...the community quickly had shown how "mature" they could be with it :T
    I'd honestly prefer living in a community of potty mouths over the hoops we have to jump through to carry a normal conversation lol. The worst part is that what we type isn't censored on our side. So I'm always worried that something I say could be misinterpreted without me knowing until it's too late.
  • SinDitBRSinDitBR
    Reactions: 1,335
    edited January 2017
    the filter did change a little bit. Nowadays you don't see the *** as others and it's a good indication of a client-side filter. Perhaps they're planning to implement this soon.
  • CobainCobain
    edited February 2017
    I was hoping more people would vote on this. Guess not a lot of people really care about the filter. lol
  • IvangoldIvangold
    Reactions: 2,985
    edited February 2017
    Honestly i doubt that nexon would do such thing, since last time things didn't go so well(even tought people would stop spammimg bad words), i honestly prefer they fix the lag in the game.
  • Its2Sharp4UIts2Sharp4U
    Reactions: 6,020
    edited February 2017
    Ivangold wrote: »
    Honestly i doubt that nexon would do such thing, since last time things didn't go so well(even tought people would stop spammimg bad words), i honestly prefer they fix the lag in the game.

Just because one has a priority, doesn't invalidate it as a suggestion. Eventually it'll make it on to the list, unless people oppose to very ideas with reasons why it is a bad idea.

I honestly believe that censorship is doing more harm than it is doing good in it's current state, and that needs to be changed. Maybe not today, tomorrow, or next week. But the filtering needs to be looked into for a better update such as a white list or better algorithm to actually censor what needs to be.

And in the meanwhile have a toggle on/off which can be enabled/disabled in system options. We already have language barriers. It's time to loosen up on the false flagged, or inability to toggle the word filter.
    Cobain
  • CatoooloooCatooolooo
    Reactions: 5,625
    edited February 2017
    I've learned more swears from all sorts of languages just from playing maple than I have anywhere else