[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.250 - Mayple Island Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Nexon Launcher destroyed my game client

AsoredricAsoredric
Reactions: 310
edited February 2017 in Bug Reporting
So I've been launching my maplestory game client just fine (and by fine I mean it will launch but after a couple of tries and with some bugs) but it was running!
but now that I've seen Nexon's post about not allowing that anymore, I used the nexon launcher to try and launch the game. but it just updated the game, I don't know what exactly it did, my client was up to date.

But now it won't load at all. I will reach the screen where I choose a character then the game crashes. and the direct launcher doesn't even work anymore.

What should I do?

Comments

• AKradianAKradian
    Reactions: 40,310
    Member, Private Tester
    edited February 2017
    Call live chat and refuse to close the chat until they get it working for you.

If Nexon insists on making us use their Nexon Launcher, they should stand behind it.

(Of course, the first thing they'll tell you will be to uninstall Vindictus - er, MapleStory - and reinstall through Nexon Launcher, but keep them on the line and make them hold your hand through the entire process)
    Asoredric
  • NeospectorNeospector
    Reactions: 9,760
    Volunteer Forum Moderator
    edited February 2017
    The direct launcher should still be working for another month.

The game crashing at the character select screen is about the same as the GameLauncher crashing (as you said, you got it to work after a few bugs). Try it a few times and it should get through.
    It may also help to do general computer cleaning things; perform a full shutdown via the command prompt ("shutdown /s") and such, just to be on the safe side.
  • AsoredricAsoredric
    edited February 2017
    Neospector wrote: »
    The direct launcher should still be working for another month.

The game crashing at the character select screen is about the same as the GameLauncher crashing (as you said, you got it to work after a few bugs). Try it a few times and it should get through.
    It may also help to do general computer cleaning things; perform a full shutdown via the command prompt ("shutdown /s") and such, just to be on the safe side.

When I used to use the direct launcher for my client, the first time it wouldn't work then the second time it works almost ALWAYS, and I don't crash either at the character selection screen or in-game.

Now I tried many many times to login using the direct launch and it won't even load the login page let ALONE the character selection screen. The game launcher doesn't work as well. I haven't been able to login to my account since yesterday and I'm very upset. Even if I got the direct launcher to work, after they disable that, what next? My account will be lost and I won't be able to play again.
  • NeospectorNeospector
    Reactions: 9,760
    Volunteer Forum Moderator
    edited February 2017
    Asoredric wrote: »
    When I used to use the direct launcher for my client, the first time it wouldn't work then the second time it works almost ALWAYS, and I don't crash either at the character selection screen or in-game.

Now I tried many many times to login using the direct launch and it won't even load the login page let ALONE the character selection screen. The game launcher doesn't work as well. I haven't been able to login to my account since yesterday and I'm very upset. Even if I got the direct launcher to work, after they disable that, what next? My account will be lost and I won't be able to play again.

You can log in through Steam and through the Nexon launcher still. But the direct launcher shouldn't be disabled yet, which probably indicates a stability issue present regardless of what launcher you use.
    I can try my best to help walk you though tech support, but your problems wouldn't necessarily be solved if they keep the direct launcher around.

For what it's worth, how did you run GameLauncher prior? Did you use a shortcut to the file? Mind you that I think when the launcher changed the game's directory to the library folder, previous GameLauncher.exe files might not work (it's linked to a different directory), but this is just speculation.
  • AsoredricAsoredric
    edited February 2017
    Neospector wrote: »
    Asoredric wrote: »

You can log in through Steam and through the Nexon launcher still. But the direct launcher shouldn't be disabled yet, which probably indicates a stability issue present regardless of what launcher you use.
    I can try my best to help walk you though tech support, but your problems wouldn't necessarily be solved if they keep the direct launcher around.

For what it's worth, how did you run GameLauncher prior? Did you use a shortcut to the file? Mind you that I think when the launcher changed the game's directory to the library folder, previous GameLauncher.exe files might not work (it's linked to a different directory), but this is just speculation.

I did make a shortcut to the desktop of the GameLauncher, I changed the compatibility mode to Windows 7, I run it as an administrator, I open up the task manager and wait on the region selection screen until it load to up about 300Mbs, the first time it always crashes and I'm used to it, and the second time it always works.

Now when I use the Nexon Launcher, I get a lot of errors, like the launcher trying unsuccessfully to update the game, when obviously it doesn't need updating. Then after that it won't show the "Play" button, it just shows the update button and when I click it shows a repeated cycle of "Verifying, then update, then it tries to download something then Play then Verifying" again without me doing anything.

Anyway, When I close it and open it again, it shows play, and when I click it does work and the game loads until the character selection screen. I still use the task manager to monitor when it loads and I still wait until it reaches around 300Mbs. But until now, I've been unsuccessful to login to my characters. It always crashes.

• AKradianAKradian
    Reactions: 40,310
    Member, Private Tester
    edited February 2017
    If you're reaching the character selection screen, you need to wait for it to reach 600MB (I think? check that video again) before selecting a character. The 300MB is just for region selection. The reason GameLauncher worked for you was because in the time it took you to enter user id and password and wait for login and select your world and channel, the loading process reached those 600 or 700MB on its own.