[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Wow, that live stream was a complete waste of time

AKradianAKradian
Reactions: 40,310
Member, Private Tester
edited March 2017 in Suggestions, Feedback, and Requests
Not a single "answer" was given that hadn't been given before.
And I put "answer" in quotes because nothing was actually answered, just parroting the same lines over and over despite all the arguments we have given against them.

And sooooo muuuuuuuch filler. Started late, ended on the dot, kept talking about "how do we stretch the time between serious questions as long as we possibly can". Couldn't wait to get away from us.

Look, CM Arwoo, with all due respect: what the players want from you is information, not entertainment. You know, the whole "flow of communication" you promised?
I do hope that now that the stream is over, you'll start responding to threads on the forums. The threads you've been reading for weeks, you know?

Suggestion:
I suggest you re-read my last post in your Introduction/AMA thread.
Lilyflower
  1. Did you like the Twitch.TV/Maplestory live stream today?32 votes
    1. Loved it! Just what I wanted to see!
       16% (5 votes)
    2. Meh.
       19% (6 votes)
    3. Didn't enjoy it one bit.
       25% (8 votes)
    4. Didn't watch, and not planning to, either.
       41% (13 votes)

Comments

• TwizzzlersTwizzzlers
    Reactions: 2,235
    Member, Private Tester
    edited March 2017
    He answered my question with the food Question. He liked Sushi!!
    JettLuvsU
  • LilyflowerLilyflower
    Reactions: 4,030
    edited March 2017
    I agree with you 100% I wish the cm would take it more seriously we players don't want entertainment we want information! where's the promise that the cm would communicate with the players
  • MegaScienceMegaScience
    Reactions: 3,795
    Volunteer Forum Moderator
    edited March 2017
    I'd personally note the discussion on Maple VVorld Record event and their decision of individuals holding multiple records, as they diverged from my expectation on that matter. And despite some of what was said mimicking public notice, between the lines I felt it more fleshed out. Just my personal feelings on the stream - I liked it for what it was.
  • JettLuvsUJettLuvsU
    Reactions: 2,526
    Member, Private Tester
    edited March 2017
    I think it was meant to be a welcome stream.
    I mostly went for Arwoo, but it was nice that they tried to have discussion on important things.
    I just hope someone took some notes on comments said in the chat.
    I really like these types of streams and hope that more like this one can happen in the future.
    Maybe next time they can do a pre-stream question thread so they can divide the fun questions from serious questions.
    MegaScience
  • MegaScienceMegaScience
    Reactions: 3,795
    Volunteer Forum Moderator
    edited March 2017
    I mean, it was exactly what MapleSea said, except it took them 3 weeks less (isH? Might be 2) to give the same exact answer. It shouldn't be so hard that one must "read between the lines" to get answers. It was sad, I felt it, many people felt it. It was a 1hour conversation about his hair.

They differentiated on at least one point verses MapleSEA: MapleSEA restricted rewards to one per account, whereas in GMS an account may obtain multiple rewards. I'd surmise this is due to the fact they mentioned accounts were checked for legitimacy, as well as - due to runners up not being maintained - the rewards would otherwise be forfeit.
    JettLuvsU
  • FennekinFennekin
    Reactions: 2,941
    Member, Private Tester
    edited March 2017
    I found it pretty entertaining at least lol. I didn't really come in expecting any great revelations or anything. And it was still cool to see them actually acknowledging some of the hot issues rather than just hearing "I forwarded it" from the forum mods (not that I'm ungrateful for that).

I really dislike how little notice they gave of it though. I literally only knew it was today because of that snow post in the off-topic section. And even then, I thought I had the wrong date/time cuz I didn't see anything on the forums, reddit, facebook, or even twitter on it... Were they purposely being low-key about this? o_o
  • KThxBaiNaoKThxBaiNao
    Reactions: 11,690
    edited March 2017
    Fennekin wrote: »
    Were they purposely being low-key about this? o_o

Probably wanted to ease him into things. He isn't a regular player and is trying to learn the ropes. They were most likely trying to avoid him getting bombarded with real questions.
  • AKradianAKradian
    Member, Private Tester
    edited March 2017
    KThxBaiNao wrote: »
    Fennekin wrote: »
    Were they purposely being low-key about this? o_o

Probably wanted to ease him into things. He isn't a regular player and is trying to learn the ropes. They were most likely trying to avoid him getting bombarded with real questions.

Yet he did ask for questions in his introductory thread http://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/10968/ahoys-from-cm-arwoo and kept teasing with "I'll answer this on stream" - so he was trying to generate viewership for the stream, and at the same time not?
  • BooberpuppyBooberpuppy
    Reactions: 3,415
    edited March 2017
    Ok. It was nice to meet the CM and see the face behind the forum name. I'm glad they gave the scoop on the big exploit and addressed the situation with the rewards. Fantastic and thanks for that.

However, I was disappointed that they did not spend more time addressing the more important/serious questions. Also, what is it with the "we're looking on to it" brand dismissals (groan) A lot of this stream looked like intentional dodging and time wasting. Some were too vague of answers to the questions that they actually did bring up, and not very satisfactory. I wouldn't be so down about what they presented except that, as has been pointed out already, for the past week or so, Arwoo has been suggesting asking questions about our concerns on the livestream. More Q&A was being expected.

It just felt lackluster because of this. Guys, we just want to know some details and see more communication on the topics we REALLY care about. What's the purpose of having a CM after all? Many parts of this game are still in a broken state, and we want some reassurance that they are actually doing something about it this time around, and in a timely fashion instead of blowing more smoke up our butts with all this pretending to care about player's concerns. I give them credit for the fixes they have been doing lately and I appreciate them, but they still have a looooong road ahead.

Now that the 'meet & greet' part is out of the way... I will make the suggestion right here and now that they do another stream specifically for the purpose of answering the laundry list of questions that have been floating around unanswered for weeks or even months. No beating around the bush allowed! I have a feeling this is what most of us players really want out of these Maplestory Twitch streams, especially since we receive so little in the way of interactive communication from this company otherwise.
  • forumsareannoyingforumsareannoying
    Reactions: 2,815
    edited March 2017
    I didn't watch the live stream and will not bother to watch it either. I read the highlights on Reddit ( https://www.reddit.com/r/Maplestory/comments/5znuj7/ama_stream_highlights/?st=J0CCXY9M&sh=e5152864 ) and I too was disappointed. I'm taking AKRadian's word in that he (the CM) didn't answer a single question due to his credibility. And it's a shame because I had hope that Maple will start heading in the right direction now that we have a CM again. Granted, it's only been about a week, but he has supposedly been reading threads for weeks and should have been prepared by now to answer questions that have been asked weeks/months ago.

Why was it called an AMA Stream if nothing was really answered? Nexon, AMA stands for "Ask Me Anything", not "Ask Me About Things That Are Not Broken or Bugged or Unfair or Suggested". And most of the times the questions that get asked receive an answer. I know they're not selling anything anything time to watch and play their game/streabut "False Advertising" is what I'd call the stream.

^ This concerns me very much. Why would they hire someone who is not even familiar with the game? What does Nexon think the players will be talking about if not Maplestory??

I can't even
  • AKradianAKradian
    Member, Private Tester
    edited March 2017
    I didn't watch the live stream and will not bother to watch it either. I read the highlights on Reddit ( https://www.reddit.com/r/Maplestory/comments/5znuj7/ama_stream_highlights/?st=J0CCXY9M&sh=e5152864 ) and I too was disappointed. I'm taking AKRadian's word in that he (the CM) didn't answer a single question due to his credibility. And it's a shame because I had hope that Maple will start heading in the right direction now that we have a CM again. Granted, it's only been about a week, but he has supposedly been reading threads for weeks and should have been prepared by now to answer questions that have been asked weeks/months ago.

If you read the highlights then you read the kind of "answers" they gave. SavageAce did the "answering", but only repeated things he's said before (some of these questions were asked in their previous stream, three months ago...) or things that have been posted before. It's true that the VVorld Record thing was actually new info - but we would have found out about it today anyway.
    Why was it called an AMA Stream if nothing was really answered? Nexon, AMA stands for "Ask Me Anything", not "Ask Me About Things That Are Not Broken or Bugged or Unfair or Suggested". And most of the times the questions that get asked receive an answer. I know they're not selling anything anything time to watch and play their game/streabut "False Advertising" is what I'd call the stream.

Well, maybe they intended it to be "ask me anything about myself", but they forgot that bit. Arwoo did answer what food he likes and there was discussion at great length about his hairstyle (irl, not in-game) and whether or not he's a weeaboo... If you check the timestamps on that reddit post, you'll see most of the time was not spent on game questions, but rather other fluff.
    ^ This concerns me very much. Why would they hire someone who is not even familiar with the game? What does Nexon think the players will be talking about if not Maplestory??

I can't even

All our CM's except for KThxBaiNao were not players. I guess Nexon did not like how emotionally involved KThxBaiNao was and how much he cared about player issues (both individuals, like falsely banned people, and in general, like the Magnus drop restrictions). So they tried to get someone who is generally familiar with the game (Arwoo used to play, until 2012) but no longer passionate about it. He did start over and has a level 187 Angelic Buster in Reboot, FWIW.
    Personally I think this is a mistake, because having played the game a long time ago doesn't really give one more familiarity with current issues than someone completely new who just started. Arwoo doesn't even seem particularly nostalgic. He told of his past, running CWKPQ, but never commented on when the PQ might return, revamped or otherwise, despite the twitch chat asking about it.

In general, Arwoo made it quite plain that what he took the job for is to "create content" (like the memes he's been Tweeting for a while, and both he and SavageAce were disappointed nobody asked "who's coming up with this stuff?"), not to be a channel of communications between players and Nexon. I hope to be proven wrong, but right now it looks like we're in for a really bad ride with this one. At least those of us who care more about the game itself than about "community activities."
  • AKradianAKradian
    Member, Private Tester
    edited March 2017
    On another note, its hard to care about community events when they take 2-3 months for the rewards to be given out.

ie. the cake contest, and other V events that happened, the World Record event, the Big Spender events, etc.[/s]

To be fair, due to KThxBaiNao being fired, the V events had to be judged by people who have full time jobs unrelated to Maplestory, which is probably why they were so delayed. I'm glad they gave these contests proper consideration, instead of giving up and turning them into raffles (handing out the prizes randomly).

The VVorld Record and Big Spender events were in-game, not community, so that's another issue altogether.
    edited March 2017
    AKradian wrote: »
    If you read the highlights then you read the kind of "answers" they gave. SavageAce did the "answering", but only repeated things he's said before (some of these questions were asked in their previous stream, three months ago...) or things that have been posted before. It's true that the VVorld Record thing was actually new info - but we would have found out about it today anyway.

The world record event was broken from the get-go when they allowed hackers to continue to raise their score and discourage others throughout the whole event. I didn't even bother with it and I don't care what the results turn out to be for that event, so even though they answered that one question, I'm sure many others feel the same way as I do. Not to mention they decided to reward players with multiple rewards which seems really stupid but whatever. I don't expect much from Nexon events anymore.

Well, maybe they intended it to be "ask me anything about myself", but they forgot that bit. Arwoo did answer what food he likes and there was discussion at great length about his hairstyle (irl, not in-game) and whether or not he's a weeaboo... If you check the timestamps on that reddit post, you'll see most of the time was not spent on game questions, but rather other fluff.

Not to sound rude, but I really don't care about his personally life and likes. I care about Maplestory and only Maplestory. If the game was in better condition, I would spend less time and energy complaining and trying to bring about change and maybethen I'll care about what his hair looks like or whatever a weeaboo is lol. I get maybe he's just trying to show us who he is so we can familiarize ourselves but after having read our threads for the past few weeks, he should know what we really want.
    All our CM's except for KThxBaiNao were not players. I guess Nexon did not like how emotionally involved KThxBaiNao was and how much he cared about player issues (both individuals, like falsely banned people, and in general, like the Magnus drop restrictions). So they tried to get someone who is generally familiar with the game (Arwoo used to play, until 2012) but no longer passionate about it. He did start over and has a level 187 Angelic Buster in Reboot, FWIW.
    Personally I think this is a mistake, because having played the game a long time ago doesn't really give one more familiarity with current issues than someone completely new who just started. Arwoo doesn't even seem particularly nostalgic. He told of his past, running CWKPQ, but never commented on when the PQ might return, revamped or otherwise, despite the twitch chat asking about it.

In general, Arwoo made it quite plain that what he took the job for is to "create content" (like the memes he's been Tweeting for a while, and both he and SavageAce were disappointed nobody asked "who's coming up with this stuff?"), not to be a channel of communications between players and Nexon. I hope to be proven wrong, but right now it looks like we're in for a really bad ride with this one. At least those of us who care more about the game itself than about "community activities."

I suppose it makes perfect sense why they decided to not hire another CM who maples, since said CM would really want to make a difference and push for certain issues to be addressed rather than be thrown under the rug or resolved with "we will look into this" or "we are aware of this issue and are working on a fix".

It's getting to the point where it just about confirms that Nexon does not wish to improve their communication with players or improve their transparency regarding... anything really. Yes, maple has improved a plethora since it started but it's supposed to or else it would have died out a long time ago. So I don't want to have to read and argue with people about how Nexon has been doing a great job with the make Maple a better place system blah blah.... we have been complaining about communication and transparency along with countless numbers of suggestions and concerns and all to no avail.
    They hired a CM who was great! KThxBaiNao truly cared and tried to help us out tremendously but it seems obvious (though not confirmed) that Nexon was not ok with the pace he was taking us at. I'm pretty sure he was let go but I guess that's just something we don't talk about right? Now after 2months+ we get another CM and this happens.

There goes my hope.
  • HHG1HHG1
    Reactions: 5,986
    Member, Private Tester
    edited March 2017
    To be fair, Arwoo seemed to do his best to bring up the tough topics among all the introductory stuff but yes, the answers were extremely lackluster. I'm hoping the next stream/official posts won't be as "watered down".
  • AKradianAKradian
    Member, Private Tester
    edited March 2017
    SadVirgin wrote: »
    To be fair, Arwoo seemed to do his best to bring up the tough topics among all the introductory stuff but yes, the answers were extremely lackluster. I'm hoping the next stream/official posts won't be as "watered down".

He did his best to bring them up? He's the one who led the stream and was constantly procrastinating on bringing up the game questions.
    And it's not like he and SavageAce didn't know which questions mattered and which were fluff, they even referred to them as "serious" or "important" questions. They just chose to space them out a lot, for no good reason.

As for the next official posts... I've been waiting for him to post on anything since his introductory thread (which was locked because people were apparently asking too many questions?), and he posted on exactly one topic here (the hacked Arcane weapons) and one topic on reddit (Breath of Divinity) in the five days since. Despite presumably reading the forum for weeks and knowing that we yearn for answers on dozens of topics. I'm not optimistic.
  • PetalmagicPetalmagic
    Reactions: 7,660
    edited March 2017
    Man...reading this makes me wonder if my Maple experience is why I got dissed when I applied e-e"
  • HHG1HHG1
    Reactions: 5,986
    Member, Private Tester
    edited March 2017

He did his best to bring them up? He's the one who led the stream and was constantly procrastinating on bringing up the game questions.
    And it's not like he and SavageAce didn't know which questions mattered and which were fluff, they even referred to them as "serious" or "important" questions. They just chose to space them out a lot, for no good reason.

I didn't get that impression, he tried to get into the questions from the start because he said he figured that's what we were all there for (true), but SavageAce kept insisting on introductions and misc info.
    edited March 2017

I didn't get that impression, he tried to get into the questions from the start because he said he figured that's what we were all there for (true), but SavageAce kept insisting on introductions and misc info.

I think they should just keep SavageAce doing whatever he does that ISN'T maplestory. He might be a cool person, sure, but we don't need his 2 cents if he barely(if at all) plays Maplestory. I've said this many times before but I never get tired of saying it, I really don't think Nexon cares to make the changes we want. Or to answer the questions we want answers to. From what it seems(since I didn't watch the stream and I don't plan to) they had SavageAce there to make sure Arwoo doesn't do/say something Nexon doesn't want him to do/say.

So yeah that's great. Thanks Nexon.
  • ArwooArwoo
    Reactions: 17,755
    edited March 2017
    Ahoy, everyone! Before I get into the bulk of my response, I'd like to thank you guys for tuning into my first livestream for MapleStory!
    Now then, lets shine some light on some of the speculations mixed in with this feedback:
    Started late, ended on the dot, kept talking about "how do we stretch the time between serious questions as long as we possibly can". Couldn't wait to get away from us.
    Yet he did ask for questions in his introductory thread http://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/10968/ahoys-from-cm-arwoo and kept teasing with "I'll answer this on stream" - so he was trying to generate viewership for the stream, and at the same time not?

We wanted to keep the livestream relevant for the players tuning in. It wouldn't have made sense to promote the livestream on our social platforms as those communities were not a part of the AMA introduction thread. Viewership wasn't the intention behind the livestream. Instead, I strongly believed it would be a great idea to let you guys know that a lot of the hot issues aren't being ignored while being a fun way to introduce myself... real self!

It's tough to address speculations such as this since these are conclusions players have drawn from what they perceive, however, I will try my best!

In the distant past, I was a player emotionally attached to the game I was a Community Manager for. That commitment to the game was a powerful tool when it came to finding all the issues affecting our vocal player base. Making claims that this emotional attachment is something that isn't desirable within any publishing/developing company is difficult for me to accept. Making speculations that I'm no longer passionate is also difficult for me to accept.

For the past weeks I've dedicated all of my free time towards leveling my character to reach endgame content. This isn't to drive a point across to the community. I said it on the livestream, but I really do enjoy large scale boss fights and want to run them with players as a player in the future. Perhaps players may think my progression is slow, but as a returning player, I want to experience the story, explore each new area, and meet new people *coughtoadmiretheirpixelscough*

I apologize if certain issues did not receive the attention that it deserved, but the intention behind the livestream was to introduce myself to the players in a more fun way while letting you guys know we're not sweeping issues under the rug.

Thank you guys again!

• DetrivanceDetrivance
    Reactions: 2,405
    Member, Volunteer Forum Moderator
    edited March 2017
    Arwoo wrote: »
    I apologize if certain issues did not receive the attention that it deserved, but the intention behind the live stream was to introduce myself to the players in a more fun way while letting you guys know we're not sweeping issues under the rug.

I came into the live stream as it was ending so I had to watch the past broadcast.

It was nice to get to put a face to the new CM as well as to learn a bit about you. It would have been nice to at least hint at what other games you worked for in the past instead of saying that some of us might recognize you.

While watching the past broadcast and removing messages of people who were being offensive during stream, I noticed a lot of major concerns addressed were recent ones (Recent bans, Anti-afk mobs, Breath of divinity, WR event distribution, UTC, and Nexon launcher).

However, there are still some issues that we as a community would still want to be addressed.

Some of these issues would be:

Crimsonwood Keep PQ still not being open after a year when it was promised to be re-opened sometime last year. This PQ was a lot of fun to do with friends and guild mates but also it gave items that players loved to use for their appearances or for training gear.

December Cube exploits which were said to be under investigation. A lot of legit players got banned for having or coming in contact with an exploited item, kind of like what is happening now with the Arcane Umbra Weapons.

Reboot rankings being differed from normal server rankings. A lot of people feel frustrated with this because Reboot, although still part of GMS, has very different experience rates compared to normal servers. The exp difference is supposedly around 2.3x greater than normal servers. I, along with other players, understand there are other key differences about reboot and normal servers. Yet it is still unfair to compare the two on rankings solely upon exp and level due to both Reboot and normal servers requiring the same amount of exp to get to a specific level. The only argument that reboot players tend to make is that those who play in normal servers can "buy their levels" because we have access to CS 2x coupons. This just is merely another convenience for those who choose to spend money on the game. Players, such as I, who don't have extra money to spend on such items just get lumped together with those that have the convenience to do so.

forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/10224/separate-reboot-rankings-from-main-server-rankings
    forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/4129/reboot-and-rankings

Also while discussing rankings, can we try to work towards getting the avatars showing on the rankings again?

In all, I'm sure we all can say it is nice to have a community manager again so that we can have our voices heard.
    JulyHHG1