[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Ditch the Forums, Update Ticket System

AK712AK712
Reactions: 1,840
edited March 2017 in Suggestions, Feedback, and Requests
With the recent mob screaming their heads off about sub-sections and all their comments becoming "obscure" and "too hard to find", it's pretty obvious that the only things most forum users care about now is popularity. It's all about how many "likes", comments, etc. they can get. And it's barely ever constructive - mostly just bashing GMs, CMs, forum mods, Nexon employees, other players... Or it's those "back in MY day" or "the good old days" posts that basically show they'd rather be stuck in time than enjoy new content. Or it might even be the """""suggestions""""" of "this is the best way to do it" and "everyone wants this" and "this game is terrible because it doesn't have this".

In all reality, this forum has nearly zero point, and has made almost zero contribution to the game. As most game forums have become, it's just a sit-in-the-corner-and-throw-a-tantrum area. The only things useful are the updates from the staff about what will be in the game, which is already included in the Nexon Launcher. So the best thing to do would be to simply ditch the forums and instead just have the ticketing system upgraded to be far easier to use. It would be more like an IT Help Desk ticketing system, where users are required to put in the information needed to fix the issue. No more "this broke so fix it"; instead, the required fields would force the users to think about their issues, and therefore provide far more information and lead to quicker fix times.

Then the staff could spend their time answering tickets and fixing issues, instead of responding to poorly put-together demands or smear campaigns. And a lot of people would be far happier.

Of course, I'm just going to barricade the doors from the angry mob approaching my castle.
  1. What do you think Nexon should do?14 votes
    1. Keep the forums and ticket system the way it is.
       7% (1 vote)
    2. Get rid of the forums completely, don't update the ticket system
       0% (0 votes)
    3. Keep the Updates section, get rid of the rest, don't update the ticket system
       7% (1 vote)
    4. Get rid of the forums completely, update the ticket system
       7% (1 vote)
    5. Keep the forums the way they are, update the ticket system
       57% (8 votes)
    6. Bacon
       21% (3 votes)

Comments

• UzumeUzume
    Reactions: 2,525
    edited March 2017
    The forums offer up lots of good criticism and when Nexon does follow the criticism, it improves the game and everyone is happy. Communication with the company like this is grand, and lets the community come together to share their ideas and experiences and even just interact with each other casually.
    It also allows the company to see how many people care about a certain thing. I could write more but eh...

Overall, removing the forums would be a big misstep. Sure, there's a lot of needless complaining but removing everything, even the good criticism, is not a solution. It's just creating another problem.

(By the way, the Community Manager, the person who rules over these forums, does not need to answer tickets and fix issues. Their job is to relay information from community outlets to the higher ups. It is quite literally their job to "respond to poorly put-together demands.")
    AlexFIts2Sharp4UIvangoldJettLuvsUTorippi
  • Its2Sharp4UIts2Sharp4U
    Reactions: 6,020
    edited March 2017
    Uzume wrote: »
    The forums offer up lots of good criticism and when Nexon does follow the criticism, it improves the game and everyone is happy. Communication with the company like this is grand, and lets the community come together to share their ideas and experiences and even just interact with each other casually.
    It also allows the company to see how many people care about a certain thing. I could write more but eh...

Overall, removing the forums would be a big misstep. Sure, there's a lot of needless complaining but removing everything, even the good criticism, is not a solution. It's just creating another problem.

(By the way, the Community Manager, the person who rules over these forums, does not need to answer tickets and fix issues. Their job is to relay information from community outlets to the higher ups. It is quite literally their job to "respond to poorly put-together demands.")

This is pretty much agreeable. One of my problems is that higher-ups never get back to us about ideas relayed and it seems that those suggestions or bugs are trapped within an endless loop or discarded without noticed.

I would love that communications be strengthened between community and company. Many great things can become a reality, but without the lack of co-operation is where we are right now.

Many players are enraged for so many underhanded ninja changes that we never agreed to, or beyond the point of too broken to absolute trash. Along with real problems almost never being resolved.

It has been echoed out so many times as a broken record from multiple forum members. From the recently freshly locked threads I can only assume that the Community Manager cannot take criticism. No warnings, just immediate thread lock without anyone able to respond to an official reply. It's like being the last post for a "last post wins thread" then locking it. I consider that cheating and unfair, and a false sense of resolution.

In the past we've been through worse but there was proper criticism and being closely watched by moderators. Now if you take a single shot at a certain individual or group based on their ideas and thoughts it's an immediate thread lock.
    UzumeBahamut_X
  • AKradianAKradian
    Reactions: 40,310
    Member, Private Tester
    edited March 2017
    Here's an idea, AK712: If you find the forums so useless, leave. Nobody is forcing you to spend even a second of your valuable time here.

The ticket system, and Nexon's entire bug handling procedure, need a revamp, it's true. But that's unrelated to the forums, which the new CM sees as a place to "build a community."
    AlexFBahamut_XIvangold
  • CorruptingCorrupting
    Reactions: 500
    edited March 2017
    sometimes threads gets locked before i even have chance to respond..... theres gotta be a time limit or something
  • TanyaTanya
    Reactions: 1,230
    edited March 2017
    I love the forums. As someone who took an extended leave of maple and then came back to a revamped game, the forums really helped me learn the ropes. Its a valuable resource for players who need clarification of things or need to discuss the game in general.

The forums don't need help but perhaps Nexon's presence & views of the forum need to be changed. I agree that Nexon should be answering tickets (and I haven't had a ticket go unanswered since my return) - but removing the forums would make players go straight to a Nexon ticket about every issue that they have - creating more tickets and more workload - thus making them answer tickets slower. If anything, Nexon employees answering tickets should be encouraged to check the forums more to see if there is a collective amount of players with the same issue - to be able to provide the ticket issuer with a more accurate response (ie. don't tell a player the gameplay issue they are having is "working as intended" when there are 30+ other people posting about having the same issue on the forum)

The in game ticket system definitely needs a revamp as well- We should be able to see our past in game reports and if they have actually been read or received (if there is a way to do this please let me know!) But as far as the actual tickets, they do get answered. Whether you get an answer that makes sense or not is kind of hit or miss.
  • IvangoldIvangold
    Reactions: 2,985
    edited March 2017
    AK712 wrote: »
    where users are required to put in the information needed to fix the issue.
    I'm confused here, i need to tell them what is required to fix a issue? But i have no idea how to fix it, isn't the people who mess with the codes that should try to fix it.

Also your idea seens weird, if it's not already hard to talk to nexon with a forum, imagine without it, would be chaos of us players, changes that aren't asked, and real problems puted aside....oh wait.

Also they need to change the costume service, but more for quality instead of quanitity, this way false bans wouldn't be so much problem being revised, or just stuff/bugs, as long people don't spam and try to be constructive would help for sure.

There will always be the sorta of post where they just think about themselves and are closed people who don't listen, but you seens to only focus on that, there are other posts that are really good(as a discussion or a suggestion).
  • BXLBXL
    Reactions: 870
    edited March 2017
    AK712 wrote: »
    With the recent mob screaming their heads off about sub-sections and all their comments becoming "obscure" and "too hard to find", it's pretty obvious that the only things most forum users care about now is popularity. It's all about how many "likes", comments, etc. they can get. And it's barely ever constructive - mostly just bashing GMs, CMs, forum mods, Nexon employees, other players... Or it's those "back in MY day" or "the good old days" posts that basically show they'd rather be stuck in time than enjoy new content. Or it might even be the """""suggestions""""" of "this is the best way to do it" and "everyone wants this" and "this game is terrible because it doesn't have this".

In all reality, this forum has nearly zero point, and has made almost zero contribution to the game. As most game forums have become, it's just a sit-in-the-corner-and-throw-a-tantrum area. The only things useful are the updates from the staff about what will be in the game, which is already included in the Nexon Launcher. So the best thing to do would be to simply ditch the forums and instead just have the ticketing system upgraded to be far easier to use. It would be more like an IT Help Desk ticketing system, where users are required to put in the information needed to fix the issue. No more "this broke so fix it"; instead, the required fields would force the users to think about their issues, and therefore provide far more information and lead to quicker fix times.

Then the staff could spend their time answering tickets and fixing issues, instead of responding to poorly put-together demands or smear campaigns. And a lot of people would be far happier.

Of course, I'm just going to barricade the doors from the angry mob approaching my castle.

A bit confused... I don't see players targeting specific people? Relating to "mostly just bashing GMs, CMs, forum mods, Nexon employees, other players..." but maybe I'm looking in the wrong place. And what you said about "this forum has nearly zero point, and has made almost zero contribution to the game", that's not really true. But it is true that players complain here. However, on the flip side, why we complain here is because they give us bad response in the tickets so ehhh... Overall they just need to fix the tickets, since if they do the complaints would be less on here, which is what you brought up... I think... at least xd Fix ticket responses = less complaints = no need to get rid of forum. c: