[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

[Request] Information About Updates

forumsareannoyingforumsareannoying
Reactions: 2,815
edited May 2017 in Suggestions, Feedback, and Requests
I would genuinely like to know why we have to wait so long to receive the update notes before a patch is rolled out. I assume that developers, as well as most Nexon staff, are made aware of what will be in the patch weeks/months in advance. That being said, why wait until 1 day prior to the update to release the update notes to the community?

I understand that changes happen often and Nexon does not want us to get angry or be confused but.... they can just make a disclaimer stating that changes are not final and adjustments can be made at any time. I honestly would not mind at all if we get the update notes 1 week in advance and several changes are made before the patch is completed(unless they are drastic negative changes which I don't think will be a common thing).

To the community: I created a poll to see what you all think about this.

To Nexon/Arwoo: would you be able to explain why this process is the way it is and could it be changed to releasing the updates notes sooner?

Thanks for reading.

1. Should Nexon release update notes 5-7 days in advance?12 votes
    1. Yes.
       92% (11 votes)
    2. No.
       8% (1 vote)
    3. I don't know/care.
       0% (0 votes)

Comments

• AKradianAKradian
    Reactions: 40,310
    Member, Private Tester
    edited May 2017
    And even though they released the update notes late, they still contain errors and are missing information.
    Hopefully as part of the better communication, etc, we could get better quality update notes, and earlier.
    Yonax
  • forumsareannoyingforumsareannoying
    edited May 2017
    AKradian wrote: »
    And even though they released the update notes late, they still contain errors and are missing information.
    Hopefully as part of the better communication, etc, we could get better quality update notes, and earlier.

Hopefully. And hopefully they'll acknowledge this thread and let us know what their thoughts on this issue are. I haven't been posting lately but if they are serious about improving their transparency + communication, I'd be more than happy to contribute in a decent manner.
    edited May 2017
    AlexF wrote: »
    I understand that changes happen often and Nexon does not want us to get angry or be confused but.... they can just make a disclaimer stating that changes are not final and adjustments can be made at any time. I honestly would not mind at all if we get the update notes 1 week in advance and several changes are made before the patch is completed(unless they are drastic negative changes which I don't think will be a common thing).

This would just cause people to get upset - no matter how little the change that doesn't make it into the final build/live client. I think it's best that they don't jump the gun and wait until everything is finalized. Most games/clients that don't have a beta server don't release information way ahead of time either.

Nexon provides the update preview - giving highlights of the content to come and the full notes for the day the patch comes out. I think this is fine.

Well, I can't really "flame" you for inputting your opinion, so thanks for that. But it's 6 For and 1 Against so far.

I don't see why it would be a problem for them though. People get upset almost every single time a maintenance/patch gets extended and Nexon puts a disclaimer stating that they can do that whenever they want. So they have their bases covered. The issue you mentioned just means our community is toxic in that regard and we should be ashamed of ourselves for that.
  • RollsRolls
    Reactions: 3,220
    edited May 2017
    Releasing information earlier creates an opportunity for more community feedback, and subsequently the improvement of event and update content, should it be considered.
    Aside from that, it'd be nice to know more than 2 days before miracle time that it's about to happen so players can prepare if needed, as opposed to going off the unclear "they always do it around this time of the year".
    Well, I can't really "flame" you for inputting your opinion, so thanks for that. But it's 6 For and 1 Against so far.

I don't see why it would be a problem for them though. People get upset almost every single time a maintenance/patch gets extended and Nexon puts a disclaimer stating that they can do that whenever they want. So they have their bases covered. The issue you mentioned just means our community is toxic in that regard and we should be ashamed of ourselves for that.

It's the lack of consideration of the community's input that makes them toxic. And at least that "toxicity" isn't directed against other people in the community like League.
    (also good on you for that username)
    edited May 2017
    Rolls wrote: »
    Releasing information earlier creates an opportunity for more community feedback, and subsequently the improvement of event and update content, should it be considered.
    Aside from that, it'd be nice to know more than 2 days before miracle time that it's about to happen so players can prepare if needed, as opposed to going off the unclear "they always do it around this time of the year".
    Yes. Agree 100%

Rolls wrote: »
    It's the lack of consideration of the community's input that makes them toxic. And at least that "toxicity" isn't directed against other people in the community like League.
    (also good on you for that username)

Nah... not too long ago people would just always post negative comments/feedback all the time, myself included. There was just no communication from Nexon and they would just blatantly ignore/disregard hot topics so it seemed like the only option. Which is why I left for a while. Supposedly they're trying to make changes so we'll see how this goes.

Anyways, so I spent my day at work, did my dailies and it's almost about time to call it a night. I'll wake up tomorrow to patch notes but won't have time to do anything to prepare since I have work the next day. Thanks Nexon.

Oh and thanks :p forums are indeed annoying hehe