[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

What's your opinion on character dialogue?

Jesus1254789Jesus1254789
Reactions: 610
edited June 2017 in Suggestions, Feedback, and Requests
Just coming back after a few years and I love what they did with MapleStory, for the most part. It seems way less "grindy" and there's alot more options (which may be confusing for some), but I don't mind, personally.

Growing up with MapleStory, I liked the idea of being able to insert myself into the character I created by making it look like myself and such. Now, I'm noticing that it seems that that's taken away when the character you play has a their own dialogue when interacting with an npc for a majority of quests. It seems awkward or breaks the immersion when it comes up.

For example, you're talking with an npc and the character you're playing says something you would never say or ask feels awkward and sometimes silly.
I feel it fits when playing characters in the "hero" category since those characters have their own background story and stuff. So, it's understandable for them to talk and not be a "silent-protagonist" and it adds character. Explorers or Cygnus Knights, on the other hand aren't the same.

It's a little nit-pick of mine, but it really does make MapleStory lose part of it's charm because a major aspect of the game was that it was "your story" and I feel like you lose that. Can Nexon NA fix this or nah?

So, what's your opinion on the matter?
Thanks!

Comments

• DarkPassengerDarkPassenger
    Reactions: 8,980
    edited June 2017
    We dont really make the characters look like us, most of the time the cash sop items are part of a theme.

Adventurers dont really have a storyline, maybe just that book. It really isnt our story when everyone that plays the class we play go through it the same. Adding text to the character we play wont change much if everyone else also gets the same text.
  • NeospectorNeospector
    Reactions: 9,760
    Volunteer Forum Moderator
    edited June 2017
    We dont really make the characters look like us, most of the time the cash sop items are part of a theme.

Adventurers dont really have a storyline, maybe just that book. It really isnt our story when everyone that plays the class we play go through it the same. Adding text to the character we play wont change much if everyone else also gets the same text.

Adventurers have had a storyline involving the Black Mage and the Seal Stones since the RED update. In fact, despite their liberties in terms of how the lore plays out, Explorers have the biggest interaction with the Black Mage since the heroes; Explorers actually speak with the Black Mage himself and play a hand in the Black Mage breaking his seal. In addition, the Explorer character can be considered Kao canonically, given that Tess (Kyrin's brother) recognizes you as Kao on the boat ride to Victoria Island.
    DarkPassengerAlexF
  • DarkPassengerDarkPassenger
    Reactions: 8,980
    edited June 2017
    Neospector wrote: »

Adventurers have had a storyline involving the Black Mage and the Seal Stones since the RED update. In fact, despite their liberties in terms of how the lore plays out, Explorers have the biggest interaction with the Black Mage since the heroes; Explorers actually speak with the Black Mage himself and play a hand in the Black Mage breaking his seal. In addition, the Explorer character can be considered Kao canonically, given that Tess (Kyrin's brother) recognizes you as Kao on the boat ride to Victoria Island.

thats what i get for skipping everything and going straight to grinding
  • ChingTheMonkeyChingTheMonkey
    Reactions: 1,165
    edited June 2017
    Meh, I enjoy reading all those silly dialogues. I get a good laugh out of them. It doesn't stop me from imprinting myself onto my characters though. I just think of all the dialogues as seperate from when I'm playing.