[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

EU and US the same?

MarkEijndenMarkEijnden
Reactions: 100
edited June 2017 in Suggestions, Feedback, and Requests
Since i'm from the EU (Netherlands, to be specific), I'm playing from the EU server when you have to pick one. It has only one world and since the reboot update it has no Reboot world. So I checked the North America server. It has way more worlds and the reboot world.
I wanted the reboot benefits, so I created a char in the Reboot world. I found more differences between the US server and the EU server.
For example. The EU server still has Tot's know how. While the US server doesn't.
Can't the two servers be made the same? And why is there no Reboot world in the EU server?

Comments

• AKradianAKradian
    Reactions: 40,310
    Member, Private Tester
    edited June 2017
    The differences you are seeing are the differences between Reboot and non-Reboot, not between US and EU.
    American non-Reboot servers have Tot's knowhow, too.
    DiscordOfColors
  • JoannaNLJoannaNL
    Reactions: 1,120
    edited June 2017
    Besides mentioning the materialistic benefits i think it's also good to turn MapleStory into one huge community. Not only on the forums but also in-game. Currently the community is split in 2, while creating 1 big, strong community where you can have friends from all over the world would make the game more loved, known and so on. I currently don't see the sense in inviting any of my friends that do not live inside Europe, because the most fun part, which is playing together, will not be like it is in other communities. Honestly for the reason I just stated i'd like to see it all turn into 1 community.
  • AKradianAKradian
    Member, Private Tester
    edited June 2017
    JoannaNL wrote: »
    Besides mentioning the materialistic benefits i think it's also good to turn MapleStory into one huge community. Not only on the forums but also in-game. Currently the community is split in 2, while creating 1 big, strong community where you can have friends from all over the world would make the game more loved, known and so on. I currently don't see the sense in inviting any of my friends that do not live inside Europe, because the most fun part, which is playing together, will not be like it is in other communities. Honestly for the reason I just stated i'd like to see it all turn into 1 community.

I don't understand what you mean by one community. One big server?
  • InvulgoInvulgo
    Reactions: 4,620
    edited June 2017
    The US server does have Tot's know how :)

The EU region doesn't have a Reboot server, this has been suggested many times in the past. We have forwarded the suggestion. The EU server doesn't have a Reboot server because Reboot was implemented before the migration between EU and NA, meaning the content was already there. I don't have any status updates on the forwarded suggestion.

Edit: I didn't see the other posts before refreshing this topic

• JoannaNLJoannaNL
    edited June 2017
    AKradian wrote: »

Basically instead of splitting EU and everything else making everyone connect to the same point, and not needing to click on EU or US. You'll just pick a channel and that's it.
    DiscordOfColors
  • PeepPeep
    Reactions: 3,950
    edited June 2017
    They can't as the server locations are different. Not just that but latency is different too.
  • AKradianAKradian
    Member, Private Tester
    edited June 2017

Basically instead of splitting EU and everything else making everyone connect to the same point, and not needing to click on EU or US. You'll just pick a channel and that's it.

If you "just pick a channel" then that's one big server.
    Which would have three big problems:
    1. Way too crowded.
    2. Is it Reboot or non-Reboot? i.e., is trading allowed? Can you pay real money for in-game advantage?
    3. Is it physically located in North America or in Europe? Some classes are really hard to play with high latency due to long physical distance. Others are just less fun. You should be glad you're able to play a server near you.

There are multiple worlds in NA, and people in Scania are as separated from people in Windia as they are separated from people in Luna.
    The shared community is outside the game: here in the forums, in the official Discord, and in the fansites (primarily r/Maplestory on reddit, and their Discord).
  • JoannaNLJoannaNL
    edited June 2017

If you "just pick a channel" then that's one big server.
    Which would have three big problems:
    1. Way too crowded.
    2. Is it Reboot or non-Reboot? i.e., is trading allowed? Can you pay real money for in-game advantage?
    3. Is it physically located in North America or in Europe? Some classes are really hard to play with high latency due to long physical distance. Others are just less fun. You should be glad you're able to play a server near you.

There are multiple worlds in NA, and people in Scania are as separated from people in Windia as they are separated from people in Luna.
    The shared community is outside the game: here in the forums, in the official Discord, and in the fansites (primarily r/Maplestory on reddit, and their Discord).

Giving my opinion on the 3 points you mentioned ;
    1. No, it's definetly not too crowded. Since the 'pick a channel' system would stay you can always change your channel to improve your FPS or anything, else I can't really see why having many players, and thus seeing a big community, near you would harm. The more people you meet, the more friends you will make and the bigger the chance of someone to stay since many would stay for the community of a game.
    2. Trading can always be restricted to certain requirements to make sure there can not be abused, else there is no reason to disable trading. The ability to pay real money to get in-game advantages is just logic. 'Donations' are needed to keep a game alive, most likely. Besides that it also improves the economy of MapleStory since players can buy multiple things with real money and sell it for in-game money. Makes the people who don't/can't spend real money on the game happy, and makes the sellers happy.
    3. I've seen many games having 1 location of their server (which was mostly France) and there never really were big problems. Ofcourse, the person who lives closer has a lower ping than the person who lives a bit further away but that shouldn't be a reason to not make it 1 community.

I have done a survey on 3 different games a few years ago, i concluded one thing (it was just way too obvious) which is that people really see co-op as a priority in their gameplay. I.e. having co-op will make a person stay (not saying they wouldn't without but still). Ofcourse, in the current system where everything is seperated you can still meet nice people but providing a bigger community is more positive feedback, in every case.

If i'm not wrong MapleStory just had 1 server where you just had to pick a channel many years ago, when i started playing for the very first time. Not sure tho as it's a long time ago. Back then I never really had problems, not with my ping or FPS.
  • RisingRainRisingRain
    Reactions: 450
    edited June 2017
    Giving my opinion on the 3 points you mentioned ;
    1. No, it's definetly not too crowded. Since the 'pick a channel' system would stay you can always change your channel to improve your FPS or anything, else I can't really see why having many players, and thus seeing a big community, near you would harm. The more people you meet, the more friends you will make and the bigger the chance of someone to stay since many would stay for the community of a game.
    2. Trading can always be restricted to certain requirements to make sure there can not be abused, else there is no reason to disable trading. The ability to pay real money to get in-game advantages is just logic. 'Donations' are needed to keep a game alive, most likely. Besides that it also improves the economy of MapleStory since players can buy multiple things with real money and sell it for in-game money. Makes the people who don't/can't spend real money on the game happy, and makes the sellers happy.
    3. I've seen many games having 1 location of their server (which was mostly France) and there never really were big problems. Ofcourse, the person who lives closer has a lower ping than the person who lives a bit further away but that shouldn't be a reason to not make it 1 community.

I have done a survey on 3 different games a few years ago, i concluded one thing (it was just way too obvious) which is that people really see co-op as a priority in their gameplay. I.e. having co-op will make a person stay (not saying they wouldn't without but still). Ofcourse, in the current system where everything is seperated you can still meet nice people but providing a bigger community is more positive feedback, in every case.

If i'm not wrong MapleStory just had 1 server where you just had to pick a channel many years ago, when i started playing for the very first time. Not sure tho as it's a long time ago. Back then I never really had problems, not with my ping or FPS.
    EU and NA servers can't mix because EU has items NA never had and will never receive (flamed items, special EMS-exclusive items). The only way for the servers to merge is if all of those items were deleted with a complete merge, which won't happen.

MapleStory had just 1 server (Scania) for less than 4 months after release. After the release of Broa 4 months after the official open date, MapleStory always had more than 1 server. Unless you played when the game just came out of beta or earlier, there was always more than 1 world.

http://www.basilmarket.com/General-What-Came-When-in-GMS-Wiki-2907
  • ZepaisZepais
    Reactions: 610
    edited June 2017

it would be amazing if it wasnt for the terrible lags in NA servers or the other way around