[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

SOLUTIONS to reduce hackers

Roni777Roni777
Reactions: 1,180
Member, Private Tester
edited July 2017 in Suggestions, Feedback, and Requests
- The current problem that cause the amount of hacker increasing day by day is because they can conviniently hunting mesos drops, exp or gears from monsters just by standing in 1 spot and hack. They can just stand there in the map and hacking all day while leaving their computer on while gain the advantage. This cause a skyrocket price on the market and also several lag isues on the server.

- Solutions :

1 . Make monsters no more dropping mesos. Change the way to farming mesos from monster drops to repeatable quests. Players have to accept certain quests and errands to gain mesos. (possibly a chain of quests). The quests is repeatable so players can do it as many times as they want. to farm mesos.

You can also make it so the mesos farming quests itself will promote of teaming up with other players. Example, the quests will requires players to kill 500 enemies to gain 1 mill mesos. Killing is shared among the party members. So if the players teaming up with another 5 players, they can done the quests faster and thus gain more mesos. This will push players to party and play together to finish the quests faster.

You can also combine it with looting etc items. The etc items can also be made individual drops/instanced so that if another players in their team kill monsters, the other members will also get their own drops which noone can loot. So it will promote partying for faster mesos farming. The quests will be made repeatable so players who want to farm, can do as many times as they want. In the future, you can also makes a lot more creative quests which will rewards a higher mesos gain.

The farmin quests is reccomended to be a chain quests so hacker hardly can get advantage of it. Coz they have to move to different places to accept the quests and cannot just standing in 1 spot and hack all the mesos.

You can also makes so that on 2x exp and mesos event, players will also gain 2x mesos from these quests. Also mesos increase coupons from legions will also increase the mesos gain from the quests

Increase the mesos gain for this farming quests so players can earn a lot

In short, change the way on earning mesos by doing repeatable quests. Not simply by killing monsters.

2. Reduce exp from monsters, but increase the exp gain from doing repeatable quests. You have to provide quests that can be done as many times as player wants. This quests can invoilve killing, picking up etc drops or any other tasks. The quests will also give a huge exp as rewards.

The quests will have similar mechanism to the number 1 solution which encourage players to interact with others and partying up in order to gain more exp rewards. If possible, drop coupons and also exp buff will also work when they turning in the quests.

3. In case some hack manage to get a hack to allow players to run here and there doing quests, you can also make the quests above to be several chain quests like 5-7 quests but it has 20-30 random quests.

It can also be made into Party Quests like Dragon Rider PQ, Chuchu PQ or any other PQ. So inside the PQ , party members will get several random quests to do. So even if someone trying to create a hack, they won't be able to guess which quests the players will get coz it has like 20-30 quests to be picked in random manner.

If you are making it not in the form of Party Quests, you can also do it as a random quests. Don't make it a fix quests, so hacker cannot guess which one they will get.

4. If it is hard to code that makes exp or mesos gain from the chain quests to get affected by events or coupon, you can also change it so in the end of the quests, players will get a chest that when they hit it, it will drop mesos to be picked. similar like those chests from Root Abyss bosses. So when looting it, players will get affected by events or coupon

5. I know hacker might still get a bit of advantage over this system, but they still can't just stand in 1 spot to farm a huge amount of mesos or huge amount of exp. You will also be able to modify it because it is simply not just killing mobs to farm mesos or exp.

Cheers

Comments

• PetalmagicPetalmagic
    Reactions: 7,660
    edited July 2017
    Uhm....Im kinda against this. I just don't like the idea of it.
    CigraeDividedFlow
  • DaxiDaxi
    Reactions: 1,800
    Member, Private Tester
    edited July 2017
    I don't think a good way to deal with hackers is to punish legitimate players, which an update like this would certainly do. I don't want to have to rely on a party of people to do anything in the game, group content for the most part just annoys me.

That said, I don't see why the hackers would have any issue automating all 30 quests, considering they've already automated job advancement quests as well as character creation. :(
    PetalmagicRollsSlicedTimePirateIzzyIts2Sharp4UArgentZeroBluxCigraeBooberpuppyDividedFlow
  • Roni777Roni777
    Member, Private Tester
    edited July 2017
    No reason? well, let the Gm decide. And i don't like the idea that maple has so many hackers around hacking their way getting billions of mesos and levelling to 250 without effort or actually playing the game. in the end , it also troubles GM to go all over the map banning hackers.
  • DaxiDaxi
    Member, Private Tester
    edited July 2017
    But your suggested update wouldn't stop hackers, they're already able to accept and complete quests.
  • Roni777Roni777
    Member, Private Tester
    edited July 2017
    @ Daxi . It is not punish legitimate players. This is punishing hackers who relies on hack. it is just switching it to the form of not getting immediate mesos or exp just by killing monsters. But has to hand it in to NPC. Well, players can also gain from soloing. it doesn't have to be in party. Similar as the current system, if someone partying, they can gain exp +50% bonus. still can solo but it support partying.

The issue about automation, i provide the solution on number 3. Create the chain quests to be random. Have it 30 quests in total which player will get 5 or 7 out of 30 randomly. Not a fix quests. I don't know about the hack in depth. But if there really is a hack that can make players complete job advancement, it is because it is not a random quests, instead a fix one. So this one, has to be random tasks
  • HoneyWaterHoneyWater
    Reactions: 2,245
    Member, Private Tester
    edited July 2017
    Doesnt that mean Players have to go to different Areas . _. to get Mesos?

Like Lets say i put my Mesos in a storage and gave it to a different char in my Account, then Lets say i forgot to store another item, and of course im gonna need Mesos for it.... and since i can't just get 500 Mesos by killing like a monster or two i would have to kill like 200, just to get like 2 mil or something :/ (after accepting the quest)
  • foussiremixfoussiremix
    Reactions: 2,335
    Member, Private Tester
    edited July 2017
    I have an idea.

Reporting an hacker or botter causes them to not gain any meso or exp.
    Like it they dont recieve mesos or exp.

Cigrae
  • PetalmagicPetalmagic
    edited July 2017
    I have an idea.

Reporting an hacker or botter causes them to not gain any meso or exp.
    Like it they dont recieve mesos or exp.

except if you report a legitimate player (like some trolls tend to do) that would basically lock them from training.
    SlicedTimePirateIzzyIts2Sharp4UIvangold
  • DaxiDaxi
    Member, Private Tester
    edited July 2017
    Roni777 wrote: »
    @ Daxi . It is not punish legitimate players.. it is just switching it to the form of not getting immediate mesos or exp just by killing monsters. But has to hadn it in to NPC. Well, players can also gain from soloing. it doesn't have to be in party. Similar as the current system, if someone partying, they can gain exp +50% bonus. still can solo.

You can claim it's not to punish legitimate players, but it would absolutely be a punishment to me.

It is not more efficient to party with people currently, you do not gain +50% xp for being in a party. You get the most efficient xp solo, which is exactly how I want to play Maplestory.
    @ Daxi . This is punishing hackers who relies on hack.

The issue about automation, i provide the solution on number 3. Create the chain quests to be random. Have it 30 quests in total which player will get 5 or 7 out of 30 randomly. Not a fix quests

There's 2 different types of cheaters I think it's important to differentiate:

People using simple repetitive actions (like walking from side to side with an aura on for days at a time) are already being eliminated with the upcoming rune change (you will have to activate runes on maps or the map will become cursed and stop giving xp/drops).

People using a more advanced hack client already have the means to identify the quest they've been given and then complete that quest automatically. As in, even if you randomize the quests from a pool of however many you want as a part of whatever number of chains you want, they are still able to identify the quest they've been given and then complete that specific quest (and then automatically get a new one). Do you really think that a hack client able to move people to different maps as they level would not be able to take people to different maps based on the quest ID they've been given?
  • Roni777Roni777
    Member, Private Tester
    edited July 2017
    My suggestions above is just the basic ideas for GM/ developers. Hackers has been flourishing mostly because they can just idle in 1 place, hacking and gain huge advantage while leaving their computer on 24/7.
  • DaxiDaxi
    Member, Private Tester
    edited July 2017
    It's a basic idea that punishes legitimate players and wouldn't do anything to stop hackers though. :(
  • Roni777Roni777
    Member, Private Tester
    edited July 2017
    Daxi , As far as i know. partying with another players will give you exp bonus. Last time i checked it still give exp bonus upon partying. It will not give bonus exp if the other members is afk tho, it is the new system.

Well, having players to farming mesos hours and farming exp hours is also punishing. why not making it so players can get to level 250 in 1 hour ;o So yeah, it is not punishing. It is just changing the system so players have to turn in quests in order to get exp or mesos.

Based on Daxi comment, hackers do the quests automatically because there is ID quests numbers. So are there any ways to prevent so that hackers cannot read that ID quests? Is it 1 ID for whole chain quests? or every quests in a chain quests will have different IDs? This is a good input for GM/ Developers. Your IDquests numbers is used for hacking trace. Maybe you should hide those.
  • PetalmagicPetalmagic
    edited July 2017
    Daxi , As far as i know. partying with another players will give you exp bonus. Last time i checked it still give exp bonus upon partying. It will not give bonus exp if the other members is afk tho, it is the new system.

Well, having players to farming mesos hours and farming exp hours is also punishing. why not making it so players can get to level 250 in 1 hour ;o So yeah, it is not punishing. It is just changing the system so players have to turn in quests in order to get exp or mesos.

Based on Daxi comment, hackers do the quests automatically because there is ID quests numbers. So are there any ways to prevent so that hackers cannot read that ID quests? Is it 1 ID for whole chain quests? or every quests in a chain quests will have different IDs? This is a good input for GM/ Developers. Your IDquests numbers is used for hacking trace. Maybe you should hide those.

It also cuts exp that you get...I have tested this extensively with various exp modifiers. While you get a "bonus" the base EXP is cut down...therefore you get less exp in general vs training solo. And hackers can currently get into the game files SO easily its not even funny.
    SlicedTime
  • DarkPassengerDarkPassenger
    Reactions: 8,980
    edited July 2017
    How about a meso cap for the day.
  • CatoooloooCatooolooo
    Reactions: 5,625
    edited July 2017
    removing meso from monsters is a terrible idea, so is putting a cap on the amount of meso used/ traded/ gained.
    reducing the exp gained is also terrible.

all of OP's ideas are terrible cause in the end the only ones that have to deal with the problem /inconvenience of the "Solution" is legit players.

hackers already have ways that make all those things not have much effect on them (Vac hack and automated scripts)

you do not punish the hackers with any of these "solutions", all it does is punish the legit players and merly causes hackers to write up a slightly different automation sequence, while also ensuring more people either quit or go the way of the black market, That is not what I call a solution.

also if you seriously don't think hackers/botters will have the ability to automate or auto open these chests, then you really do not understand the hacking hydra we are up against or what they have at their disposal.
    PirateIzzy
    edited July 2017
    what they need to do is changed the mchanics or tweak around the classes that are used by hackers. classes that have skills that bypass the hack detection system. the basis of the hacking problem and botting is that they arent detected by the system.

the classes are: blaze wizard, kinesis, blaster kanna and few more. like luminous etc blaster is in here because of the animation cancel. although it is legal to use but it is so similar to the movements of botters/hackers that thats why it isnt detected.

the reason they bypass the hack shield is because these classes have skills or mechanics that move mobs around or move themselves around the map, or they have skills that move (hit box eg orbital flame) or skills that hit full map.

the reason hack shield doesnt detect the hacks is because hack shield is set up to detect irregular patterns from the classes. If a class that doesnt have the stated above tries to use the illicit programs, the hack shield will in fact detect them and kick them out the game
    SlicedTime
  • DaxiDaxi
    Member, Private Tester
    edited July 2017

You gain bonus party experience, but it cuts your base xp. The total xp is significantly less.

I would also be against players being able to get 250 in 1 hour, what point are you trying to make exactly?

No, they couldn't. The quest IDs are kept client sided.

I'm against this because I want people to be rewarded for playing more then someone else. There's no point in me playing if the progress I can make is arbitrarily capped and allows more casual people to keep up with me.

Also what about those who are unable to play every day of the week but can play a lot of certain days (weekend for example), should their progress be that much slower then someone able to play every day of the week (but for less total time).

What would be a better solution (in my opinion, obviously) is buff the rewards/mesos from bosses significantly and nerf the mesos from mobs significantly. That way people can gear alt characters to boss on if they want to get ahead and also hinder the progress of hackers. To be clear, I wouldn't want mobs to drop no mesos at all, just for bossing to be a decently more efficient use of time.
    edited July 2017
    Daxi wrote: »

You gain bonus party experience, but it cuts your base xp. The total xp is significantly less.

I would also be against players being able to get 250 in 1 hour, what point are you trying to make exactly?

No, they couldn't. The quest IDs are kept client sided.

I'm against this because I want people to be rewarded for playing more then someone else. There's no point in me playing if the progress I can make is arbitrarily capped and allows more casual people to keep up with me.

What would be a better solution (in my opinion, obviously) is buff the rewards/mesos from bosses significantly and nerf the mesos from mobs significantly. That way people can gear alt characters to boss on if they want to get ahead and also hinder the progress of hackers. To be clear, I wouldn't want mobs to drop no mesos at all, just for bossing to be a decently more efficient use of time.

I can agree with this, but that wont stop hackers from bossing, while it will just make bots be on longer. Since my income is mainly from bossing. wont stop the grinding bots.
  • DaxiDaxi
    Member, Private Tester
    edited July 2017
    I can agree with this, but that wont stop hackers from bossing, while it will just make bots be on longer. Since my income is mainly from bossing. wont stop the grinding bots.

I guess that just comes down to 'how much to nerf' argument, not much value in talking specifics but personally I would want bossing at around 400m-600m/hr and meso making at around 100m-150m/hr (with all the non-KMS maps made to work the same as KMS maps).
    edited July 2017
    Daxi wrote: »

I guess that just comes down to 'how much to nerf' argument, not much value in talking specifics but personally I would want bossing at around 400m-600m/hr and meso making at around 100m-150m/hr (with all the non-KMS maps made to work the same as KMS maps).

something to think about