[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Push/Pull skills fail when others are in the map

AKradianAKradian
Reactions: 40,310
Member, Private Tester
edited September 2016 in Bug Reporting
Bug type: Gameplay

Brief bug summary: Skills, that push or pull monsters, sometimes fail to do so when there are other characters in the map.

More details:
Many classes have skills that can push monsters away or pull them towards the character. Most (if not all) of these skills supposedly have 100% chance to push or pull the monsters (up to the count specified by the skill).
These skills do indeed work "as advertised" when the character is alone in the map.
However, if other characters are present in the map, even if they are far away and not moving, the push or pull skills randomly fail, leaving some monsters behind.

I believe this is due to the way the server resolves the conflict between what each character's client is telling it about the monster movement.
This resolution needs to be changed, so that movement due to a skill will take precedence over random movement.

Video:
See in particular:
- 1:12, 1:46 Rush leaves enemies behind, including ones that are seen to have taken damage from the skill
- 1:22, 1:26 Combo Fury leaves enemies behind, even though they took damage and became stunned, so the skill obviously affected them - just didn't move it

Steps to reproduce:
1. Be a character with a Push or Pull skill. I will use a Hero for this example. Their push skill is Rush and their pull skill is Combo Fury.
2. Go to a map with enemies that you can't 1-hit, and no other character. Activate Combo Attack. Attack some enemies until you have several Combo orbs spinning around you.
3. Stand on a platform with multiple enemies.
4. Activate Rush. Observe that all enemies in the direction you are facing on the same platform are pushed and move along with you, stopping where you stop.
5. Move a little away from the enemies. Turn to face them. Activate Combo Fury. Observe that all enemies in range of the animation are pulled to you.

6. Have another character enter the map and stand still on a different platform than the one you are on, or hang on a rope.
7. Repeat step 4. Observe that not all enemies are pushed, even though all are hit (display a partial HP bar over their heads).
8. Repeat step 5. Observe that not all enemies are pulled, even though all are hit.

Old forums Bug Report thread (which links to more detailed discussion of the history of this bug, if that's of any interest to anyone).
MidnightKing15

Comments

• MakazeKibaMakazeKiba
    Reactions: 1,800
    edited September 2016
    Not sure if it's related, but I believe pushing or pulling monsters already sustaining damage (outside of DoTs) will resist all push and pull sources.
  • AggraphineAggraphine
    Reactions: 19,415
    edited September 2016
    MakazeKiba

Not sure if it's related, but I believe pushing or pulling monsters already sustaining damage (outside of DoTs) will resist all push and pull sources.
    No, this is a complete failure of the skill to push or pull mobs, simply by merit of another player being present in the map, or at least within view distance of your own character on the minimap.

Would also like to throw Shade's Blade Imp skills into the hat for skills that fall flat on their faces when others are present.
  • bumbertyrbumbertyr
    Reactions: 6,610
    Nexon
    edited September 2016
    i feel that more often than not this issue is attributed to server side lag possibly not being able to register the skills pull effect causing it to just cancel out.
  • AKradianAKradian
    Member, Private Tester
    edited September 2016
    bumbertyr
    bumbertyr said:

i feel that more often than not this issue is attributed to server side lag possibly not being able to register the skills pull effect causing it to just cancel out.
    And the lag just happens to happen whenever there's someone else in the map? Even if they're just hanging on a rope at the other end of the map?

Why would every other effect of the skill (damage, stun) work regardless of lag, but the push/pull doesn't?

Edit: added a video to the opening post.
  • KThxBaiNaoKThxBaiNao
    Reactions: 11,690
    edited September 2016
    Thank you for the detailed report. :)
  • BIackbeanBIackbean
    Reactions: 3,450
    edited October 2016
    they removed monster magnet and a lot of other pull skills
  • AKradianAKradian
    Member, Private Tester
    edited October 2016
    BIackbean
    BIackbean said:

they removed monster magnet and a lot of other pull skills
    In the case of Heroes, Monster Magnet became Combo Fury (utterly meaningless name, but whatever) and was moved to 2nd job.
    I don't know what happened with the other explorer warriors.
    A lot of other classes have push and/or pull skills, though.
  • AggraphineAggraphine
    Reactions: 19,415
    edited October 2016
    Can add Evan's Wind Circle to the list. It fails to push mobs back if anyone else is present in the map.
  • KerBansotKerBansot
    Reactions: 1,635
    edited October 2016
    I just tested this bug on a drk.

Push skill - rush
    pull skill - spear sweep
    Map: scrapyard entrance

First alone, then invited guildie, then made guildie leave. The bug applies to drk too. It also applied to guildie who is a wind archer w/ their push skill fairy spiral.

I'll see if I can test it on a bam, bucc and db later if it helps.

Edit:
    DB's flying asssaulter doesn't really say it's supposed to push in the skill description so I scrapped that.
    For bam the pull skill (dark chain) worked fine, push skill doesn't say it's supposed to push either.
    For bucc, bug applied to corkscrew blow.
  • BIackbeanBIackbean
    Reactions: 3,450
    edited October 2016
    ahh i probably never really noticed that since only times when i use rush and spear sweep is during gollux to clear mobs and never really use em for bosses, but i remember rushing ark > so that the all map attack wont kill my guildie and it worked.. hmm.. maybe only for monsters???
  • GeminiaGeminia
    Reactions: 2,370
    edited October 2016
    This has been an issue even before 4th job existed.
  • AKradianAKradian
    Member, Private Tester
    edited October 2016
    Geminia
    Geminia said:

This has been an issue even before 4th job existed.
    Interesting statement.
    As far as I know, the "original" push and pull skills - Rush and Monster Magnet - were 4th-job warrior skills.
    What push/pull skills existed before that?

Also, your statement is wrong.

Back before Big Bang, we could count on Rush to move Bigfoot where we wanted him, even if there were other people in the map, and even if those other people were shooting at it. Nothing more satisfying than rushing Bigfoot onto a Nightlord trying to KS.
    As far as non-bosses: back then, the standard way to train at 4th job was to share a skeles map with a Bishop. I've spent countless hours at the bottom of that map while a Bishop was casting Genesis on the top. Rush never failed me then.

Later, Rush started not working right if people were attacking the same mob. At Scarlion/Targa, we had to ask people to not attack until we had pushed the boss to the corner. However, as long they weren't attacking, Rush worked fine. At LKC, I could train in a party, but could only use Rush on enemies my party-mates were not attacking at the moment. I most hated I/L's because their chain-lightning would randomly hit a mob on my platform and that one mob would resist Rush.

Now, though... as I said in the opening post, if there's anyone in the map, even afk on a rope somewhere far away, push and pull skills randomly fail.
  • Relic118Relic118
    Reactions: 725
    edited October 2016
    Returning player, reboot server, level 130 Shade.
    I can attest to this cause and effect.
    When I use one of my many pull attacks with another player nearby, I see a distinct drop in the skill's performance. A player entered the map that I was grinding in, it was someplace in Gold Beach. There were three platforms, and I was relying heavily on my overhead pulls, but once he occupied that same space I would fail to bring more than one or two out of large groups of five or more.

Once he left, it resumed normal operation.

The map was relatively small, so he was always on my mini-map and most of the time within sight.
  • AKradianAKradian
    Member, Private Tester
    edited May 2017
    Bumping this because apparently "workflow has improved". Maybe this will get looked at?
    MidnightKing15
  • AKradianAKradian
    Member, Private Tester
    edited November 2017
    Does Cadena have a skill for pulling monsters to her with her chain?
    Is it as bugged as every other class's push/pull skills?
  • DFDFDDFDFD
    Reactions: 2,160
    edited September 2018
    This is still very much a problem. Trying to level a Jett with a Kanna in the map is extremely annoying, only half the mobs are being teleported.
  • MidnightKing15MidnightKing15
    Reactions: 520
    edited October 2018
    STILL a problem, this affects sooo many characters skills, how has this not been addressed yet? its been years, but they fix stuff like a problem with a mount that like 3 people in the game has, this is very much a problem still, please fix it...