[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Server Event Time Change - UTC

Comments

• IvangoldIvangold
    Reactions: 2,985
    edited June 2017
    Yeah, it's kind annyoing how they made UTC, Luna is bigger than before, but certanly not bigger than the rest of GMS, they should make either two time zones or just one for the majority.

I prefer we have one time zone for events than two, it was kind confusing to know when some events ended and other started, besides the mixing up the time zones(start UTC end PST...).
  • BfortbattleBfortbattle
    Reactions: 1,325
    edited June 2017
    EMS player here,

honestly we're all used to the PST time now and whenever i attend an event i always look at the mainpage for the time since they keep changing it. You're saying the maintenances are bad for you and the event times as well, we've been dealing with this for a long time. For example the weekly maintanance starts at 4 PM for us and ends at 8-10 PM most of the time given that we sleep at night and work during the day a maintanance day is basically a day you can't play at all.
    Now NA people cry because the maintenance starts in the morning when they have to be at work (which is bad why?). now maintanance in the morning is bad, but if they do 2x exp in the moring instead it isnt good either because then all of a sudden you do have to work? make up your mind.

They tried having multiple timezones but a lot went wrong with the events being bugged etc.

till this day maintanance is still RIP EU and they're never gonna solve that issue since it's normal US working times and that's understandable.
    And they're probably just gonna change the times exp events etc. run on now too so i don't get why people are so upset about it.
  • RollsRolls
    Reactions: 3,220
    edited June 2017
    Its not an active attempt to screw over americans or cater to Europeans, but rather because UTC is as close to neutral as it gets.
    If anything has to run the same across the globe, UTC is the answer.
    Every time zone uses UTC as a reference point, any global affair ought to run on UTC so as to not cater to anyone specifically.

There is no universal or "neutral" timezone.
    It's physically impossible. No matter how much UTC claims to be "universal," it is still based in Europe. There is no one timezone that can satisfy or be completely fair to everyone. UTC absolutely caters to the European players. Whether or not that was the intent has nothing to do with that. They haven't even actually merged servers. Europe is still sectioned off into Luna, their own server. Why can't they go by UTC and American servers PST, EST, etc?

And the whole player outrage over UTC isn't even about universality. It's that the majority of players are in America. Not Europe. If it were physically possible for there to be a universal timezone, there'd be absolutely no problem with this change, but that's not how it works. Because it is impossible, the next best thing is to satisfy as much people as possible, and that means a timezone based in America.

Setting aside languages, imagine if EMS had to merge into KMS instead. Imagine how similarly the Koreans would've reacted to UTC and how differently Nexon Korea would've handled it. It wouldn't last more than a few days.

And with the recent hot time event, this promise of "consistency" has already been broken. They can't even deliver on the month they promised to create consistency. So now that we know Nexon won't keep this promise now, and more than likely not in the future, the only solution left is to change back to an American timezone.
    UTC is cancer.
    PirateIzzy
  • EfficientlyLazyEfficientlyLazy
    Reactions: 815
    edited August 2017
    Please have consistency with UTC please.

The expiration dates/time-stamps are not adjusted for UTC. i.e. Events that happen Saturday, start @ 5:00pm on a Friday yet the information given doesn't adjust towards "UTC" whatever UTC is.

So we have to figure out how our time zones correspond to UTC when the in-game dates should list it properly instead.

• NeospectorNeospector
    Reactions: 9,760
    Volunteer Forum Moderator
    edited August 2017

The expiration dates/time-stamps are not adjusted for UTC. i.e. Events that happen Saturday, start @ 5:00pm on a Friday yet the information given doesn't adjust towards "UTC" whatever UTC is.

So we have to figure out how our time zones correspond to UTC when the in-game dates should list it properly instead.

That is adjusted for UTC. UTC is Coordinated Universal Time, the modern equivalent of Greenwich Mean Time (GMT); +00 hours on the Prime Meridian, and the standard by which all other time zones are measured.
    Pacific Daylight Time (what the west coast of the United States is currently on) is currently UTC-7 hours, meaning 12:00 AM Saturday UTC is 5:00 PM Friday PDT.
    In-game expiration dates are currently accurate to server time. Except for the issue with the All-in-One box recently, there shouldn't be any inconsistency in in-game time-stamps. If you find one, you should report it as a bug.

This thread is almost a month old. Please don't necro threads.
  • RollsRolls
    Reactions: 3,220
    edited August 2017
    Neospector wrote: »

"We already have a thread for that, don't go making new ones."
    This is exactly what I hate about forums. Make up your damn mind.
    EfficientlyLazyPirateIzzyAtiruhYinYangXLilyflower
    edited September 2017

That is adjusted for UTC. UTC is Coordinated Universal Time, the modern equivalent of Greenwich Mean Time (GMT); +00 hours on the Prime Meridian, and the standard by which all other time zones are measured.
    Pacific Daylight Time (what the west coast of the United States is currently on) is currently UTC-7 hours, meaning 12:00 AM Saturday UTC is 5:00 PM Friday PDT.
    In-game expiration dates are currently accurate to server time. Except for the issue with the All-in-One box recently, there shouldn't be any inconsistency in in-game time-stamps. If you find one, you should report it as a bug.

It is not adjusted for UTC. If I have an item that expires at 00:00 at the next day, half the time it will expire at 5:00pm PST on the previous day but not always.

This means that I just end up using items as fast as possible but it doesn't excuse the inconsistency when it comes to using UTC and then not changing the expiration dates for items to correspond correctly for UTC.

Yes, I know that 12:00am UTC is 7 hours ahead of PST however it shouldn't be up to us to do extra work in figuring out when an item might or might not expire.
    It is more effective & clearer to have every expiration-time-stamp in UTC format instead. If you can explain why this wouldn't be simpler to understand, please do so.

Don't necro threads? Don't use my searchbar? Don't make sure that I post a question/problem that hasn't been posted or resolved before?
    Your attempt to repeat my "please" statement has backfired. What a silly contradictory piece of advice. Why are you the forum moderator again? Don't make up rules in order to sooth your own ego. Some of you mods take things way too damn personally and our complaints that are directed towards Nexon you end up redirecting towards yourself.
    edited September 2017
    Rolls wrote: »

"We already have a thread for that, don't go making new ones."
    This is exactly what I hate about forums. Make up your damn mind.

Nah, it's what I hate about forum moderators who care more about their own ego rather than dealing with the problems presented.
    HakufurroajCaughtByLoveNightcrawl3rRolls