[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts
Closed

In regards to NeoTokyoDude's now-locked thread

SparkzSparkz
Reactions: 1,070
edited October 2016 in Rants and Raves
Source: http://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/670/lessons-i-have-learned-from-the-forums#latest

He is not entirely wrong and I actually find it hilarious that 3/4 of the known toxic people from the old forums liked Invulgo's post. Now only missing you AKradian :)
hint: Evan, Night Lord, Dual Blade avatars

"Harassment is ok if enough people are doing it."
Harassment is ok because Nexon moderators don't seem to care. Should just bring the old block feature back so we can ignore those toxic trolls.

And to Invulgo, it only takes a few seconds to realize who I am talking about considering they seem to post on every single thread bashing OP's idea / post. (By OP I do not mean specifically NeoTokyoDude. In general they seem to leave nasty comments simply because someone has a different idea or something along those lines)

Someone needed to call them out sooner or later.
inb4 I get rip'd by Nexon xD It was worth it I tell you that much.

And, can you really call this sub-forum Rants and Raves if we're not allowed to you know.. rant and rave? :^) We're not not 10 year old kids ffs.
VekiloLilyflowerDeathmobs

Comments

• UzumeUzume
    Reactions: 2,525
    edited October 2016
    I did bring up how if people disliked his threads, they shouldn't post in them like they do every single time. But I was ignored, as usual.
    I don't agree with either side, personally, and I wouldn't call those people toxic, there are areas where they contribute a lot. Both parties should just move on with their lives and not get involved with each other.
    Fennekin
  • SparkzSparkz
    Reactions: 1,070
    edited October 2016
    Uzume
    Uzume said:

I did bring up how if people disliked his threads, they shouldn't post in them like they do every single time.
    Dw friend, I agree with you 1000x
    Uzume
    Uzume said:

I wouldn't call those people toxic, there are areas where they contribute a lot.
    When the only thing I can be guaranteed after posting a thread or comment is at least one of the 4 toxic people, who seem to be patrolling the forums 24/7, leaving a nasty response I would easily consider that toxic. But then again, it's only my opinion.

Just because they do post insightful things sometimes it does not excuse their behavior in a majority of their forum posts.
    Uzume
    Uzume said:

Both parties should just move on with their lives and not get involved with each other.
    And I agree, it's just a whole lot easier to ignore them when we were given the option to block users like in the old forums.

• FennekinFennekin
    Reactions: 2,941
    Member, Private Tester
    edited October 2016
    Uzume
    Uzume said:

I did bring up how if people disliked his threads, they shouldn't post in them like they do every single time. But I was ignored, as usual.
    I don't agree with either side, personally, and I wouldn't call those people toxic, there are areas where they contribute a lot. Both parties should just move on with their lives and not get involved with each other.
    My thoughts exactly. Although some of them actually contribute to the discussions on his threads/posts, even if their comments are a bit harsh. I'm sorta okay with those posts, though I wish they would at least attempt to get their points across with more tact. The posts I have problems with are the posts that are legit just "ugh, you again" and "ew, gtfo" etc. etc. that the same users consistently plant, not only on his topics, but in response to ALL OF HIS POSTS :/.

• UzumeUzume
    edited October 2016
    Sparkz
    Sparkz said:

When the only thing I can be guaranteed after posting a thread or comment is at least one of the 4 toxic people, who seem to be patrolling the forums 24/7, leaving a nasty response I would easily consider that toxic. But then again, it's only my opinion.
    It totally doesn't excuse it, but I consider toxic doing nothing BUT bad things. I guess it's just how you perceive toxicity.
    Fennekin
    Fennekin said:

My thoughts exactly. Although some of them actually contribute to the discussions on his threads/posts, even if their comments are a bit harsh. I'm sorta okay with those posts, though I wish they would at least attempt to get their points across with more tact. The posts I have problems with are the posts that are legit just "ugh, you again" and "ew, gtfo" etc. etc. that the same users consistently plant, not only on his topics, but in response to ALL OF HIS POSTS :/.
    Even if they contribute something, they should know how Neo is at this point. They've spent what? Months now trying to get him to stop and he hasn't? It went from contributing to just repeating yourself. If Neo won't stop, then the only thing anyone else can do is be the bigger person and stop themselves. But instead, they insist on going on and on. We get it, Neo is wrong, but at this point I only feel bad for the guy since while he CAN be overbearing, he isn't deserving of a whole forum worth of hate.
  • AggraphineAggraphine
    Reactions: 19,415
    edited October 2016
    Uzume
    Uzume said:

Even if they contribute something, they should know how Neo is at this point. They've spent what? Months now trying to get him to stop and he hasn't? It went from contributing to just repeating yourself. If Neo won't stop, then the only thing anyone else can do is be the bigger person and stop themselves. But instead, they insist on going on and on. We get it, Neo is wrong, but at this point I only feel bad for the guy since while he CAN be overbearing, he isn't deserving of a whole forum worth of hate.
    If Neo won't stop, then he needs to get slapped with a few warnings for A) disregarding the forum rule that, and I can't stress this enough, was created and put in place solely because of his actions and B) flying in the face of being told, by Michael, to stop. And just in case you missed it, or haven't seen it, NTD was told not to make anymore threads about old maple, legacy servers, the forum rules pertaining to the former or anything related to them.
  • UzumeUzume
    edited October 2016
    Aggraphine

If Neo won't stop, then he needs to get slapped with a few warnings for A) disregarding the forum rule that, and I can't stress this enough, was created and put in place solely because of his actions and B) flying in the face of being told, by Michael, to stop. And just in case you missed it, or haven't seen it, NTD was told not to make anymore threads about old maple, legacy servers, the forum rules pertaining to the former or anything related to them.
    Oh I fully know that, and he certainly deserves to get punished for it in my honest opinion, but how does that excuse your actions? The faults of another does not clear you or anyone else who continuously posts in the threads of his they so wholeheartedly hate with a passion of being in the wrong here.

You aren't a moderator here, you don't need to post in EVERY single thread just to ensure it's locked for not only him talking about the rule but the upcoming pages of people yelling at each other when they'll never come to an agreement, and it isn't even handled with class. It's just an empty fight, with no weight or change to the situation. The audience isn't phased either, since we all ALREADY KNOW from the multitudes of other threads that Neo is in the wrong, heck we should know he's in the wrong just from the rule itself. So why do you insist so heavily?

I'm just saying here, but I don't believe Neo gets the full blame. How is it right for forumers to continue to follow his posts and pester him? He posted the thread, but you didn't have to post in it. Report it and move on.

(Also, you didn't reply to what I said in bold, so I don't know why you bolded it. You totally disregarded the "be the bigger person" thing I said.)
  • gamechangergamechanger
    Reactions: 3,460
    edited October 2016
    Uzume
    Uzume said:

Aggraphine

Oh I fully know that, and he certainly deserves to get punished for it in my honest opinion, but how does that excuse your actions? The faults of another does not clear you or anyone else who continuously posts in the threads of his they so wholeheartedly hate with a passion of being in the wrong here.

You aren't a moderator here, you don't need to post in EVERY single thread just to ensure it's locked for not only him talking about the rule but the upcoming pages of people yelling at each other when they'll never come to an agreement, and it isn't even handled with class. It's just an empty fight, with no weight or change to the situation. The audience isn't phased either, since we all ALREADY KNOW from the multitudes of other threads that Neo is in the wrong, heck we should know he's in the wrong just from the rule itself. So why do you insist so heavily?

I'm just saying here, but I don't believe Neo gets the full blame. How is it right for forumers to continue to follow his posts and pester him? He posted the thread, but you didn't have to post in it. Report it and move on.

(Also, you didn't reply to what I said in bold, so I don't know why you bolded it. You totally disregarded the "be the bigger person" thing I said.)
    You are right, the blame does not all like with NTD, it is shared across those of us who did continue to post in his threads. Some of us did indeed get out of hand (though for the first few months we did try to be reasonable with him, nothing ever got through to him however).

I mainly commented in this thread to talk about the implications of the OP though. He seems to be trying to imply that some of us are above forum rules, and we are not. We have been handed out temp bans before when we break the forum rules (well pretty sure AKradian never was, but at least some of us have), we are not above them, nor do we pretend to be. We did get caught up in those topics, but is it really that hard to see why? Even when we tried ignoring him on the old forums it didn't stop him from spamming threads anyway.
  • UzumeUzume
    edited October 2016
    gamechanger

I mainly commented in this thread to talk about the implications of the OP though. He seems to be trying to imply that some of us are above forum rules, and we are not. We have been handed out temp bans before when we break the forum rules (well pretty sure AKradian never was, but at least some of us have), we are not above them, nor do we pretend to be. We did get caught up in those topics, but is it really that hard to see why? Even when we tried ignoring him on the old forums it didn't stop him from spamming threads anyway.
    Yeah, I don't fully agree with OP in this thread.

Yes, it is hard to see why. For me, anyways. I understand he spammed the threads, but no one needs to post in every single one of them. You're just contributing to the spam. If everyone ignored it, it would get pushed down and forgotten, or locked. I mean at this point, no one is in a place of agreeing with NTD (except for the select few).

I understand he won't stop, not until he's banned anyways. But does one who isn't a moderator really need to try so hard to force him to stop? Just let it die off, report it so it gets locked, and maybe one day he'll see that no one cares and he'll give up. If not, then eventually he'd be banned anyways.

That's basically where I'm coming from. I don't understand the people who post in every single thread of his and tries to get it through to him. It's apparent he is currently in no place of wanting to stop, so all one can do is stop themselves. It's best to know when your efforts are futile and giving up is the best option.
  • FennekinFennekin
    Reactions: 2,941
    Member, Private Tester
    edited October 2016
    gamechanger

I mainly commented in this thread to talk about the implications of the OP though. He seems to be trying to imply that some of us are above forum rules, and we are not. We have been handed out temp bans before when we break the forum rules (well pretty sure AKradian never was, but at least some of us have), we are not above them, nor do we pretend to be.
    Huh. That's news to me. I did notice his last thread had a lot less toxicity than usual, though it was still there in spades. There's one particular poster that I've recently rediscovered that doesn't seem like he's been warned or anything though :/ don't really wanna call him out directly. May or may not be hard to deduce who.
    gamechanger

We did get caught up in those topics, but is it really that hard to see why? Even when we tried ignoring him on the old forums it didn't stop him from spamming threads anyway.
    Uh, yeah it's hard to see why. Is it that hard to not be toxic towards his posts? Let the threads die, if he keeps bumping them or spamming the forums with threads, let the mods handle it. But since everyone was freakin' bumping his threads for him, he didn't need to spam himself = him not breaking any rules until they decided to ban the topic altogether.

And flaming him only puts the flamer at risk for a ban, too. Or it does on literally every other forum I've been on. From how the same few people have consistently been rude towards him, it doesn't seem like that's the case here, even though it should be.

I still think it was a bad choice to ban the topic instead of the handful of people that were making the topic unpleasant like what would've happened on any other forum that had an active moderation team.

And dangit, just read the post before mine and realized I was saying the same thing :/
    Sparkz
    Sparkz said:

Source: http://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/670/lessons-i-have-learned-from-the-forums#latest

He is not entirely wrong and I actually find it hilarious that 3/4 of the known toxic people from the old forums liked Invulgo's post. Now only missing you AKradian :)
    hint: Evan, Night Lord, Dual Blade avatars

And to Invulgo, it only takes a few seconds to realize who I am talking about considering they seem to post on every single thread bashing OP's idea / post. (By OP I do not mean specifically NeoTokyoDude. In general they seem to leave nasty comments simply because someone has a different idea or something along those lines)

Someone needed to call them out sooner or later.
    inb4 I get rip'd by Nexon xD It was worth it I tell you that much.
    Mmm, assuming I'm reading this post right (just checked the thread you linked to), I disagree with labeling at least the Night Lord and Dual Blade avatar people as toxic lol.

gamechanger
  • NeospectorNeospector
    Reactions: 9,760
    Volunteer Forum Moderator
    edited October 2016
    No one is exempt from the rules. However, I can attest to the fact that a large majority of reports against your hinted-at users have been flawed or simply of a personal nature. To add to this, your hinted-at users have also reported people, some of them actual rule-breakers, some of them for personal reasons. If someone is breaking the Code of Conduct, then report them and we'll take a look. That does not mean report people because you don't like them or, in one particular case, "attacking your rant". *Ahem*
    If users are exempt from the rules because they're colluding with mods, then it's news to me because I ain't in on it.

With regards to NeoTokyoDude and old Maple suggestions:

Old Maple discussion is banned outside of the designated official thread. This rule is in place largely because of NeoTokyoDude's (and some others) spamming of the topic on the old forums. No, it is not appropriate to attack NeoTokyoDude simply for posting when the post itself contains nothing about old Maple. No, that does not give you the right to do the exact same thing to the attackers. NeoTokyoDude's post was rightfully locked, and in addition to the flamebaiting nature Invulgo pointed out I will add that the post itself contained an implicit plug for old Maple: "Never discuss ideas or suggestions that anyone might disagree with. If you do encounter someone with a different opinion, do not try to have a conversation and don't explain anything. Just forget about it and walk away."
    You are not allowed to make suggestions about Old Maple. This includes making explicit suggestions to revert the game to older (pre-big-bang in particular) versions, and implicit suggestions such as complaining about how people don't like the suggestion.

With regards to rants and raves:

The forum section was made to vent general frustration. It was created to be an outlet for a lot of anti-Nexon spam that was clogging general chat and suggestions. The rants and raves section is not exempt from the code of conduct, particularly the following rules:
    1. Do not use excessively foul language
    2. Do not harass other users or Nexon staff
    3. Do not witchhunt/name-and-shame players
    4. Do not suggest old Maple
    Personal note: people disagreeing with you does not mean they're harassing you. In particular, if you get warned or your threads are locked, it probably means you broke the rules. Moderators of any forum or subreddit are not Men In Black out to get you for telling the truth, they're moderators.

Tl;dr:
    • Do not harass others. This rule applies to everybody. That includes OP, that includes everyone in this thread, and that includes the people OP mentioned. It's not hard to be nice.
    • Report anyone who breaks the rules. Seriously. I'm going over like 5 reports right this moment. It's up to moderator discretion on how to deal with individual posts, however we do have guidelines that we must follow.
    • Do not bring up old Maple, explicitly or implicitly. We have discussed it ad nauseum and there are better uses of everyone's time.
    • The rants and raves section is not exempt from the rules.
    I'm locking this thread for harassment of other users, and I will personally point out the hypocrisy of creating a thread to attack users simply because they attacked other users.
    It's over, it's done, NeoTokyoDude has no warnings, and I'm not giving anyone in here warnings. Everyone can just play nice with each other instead of having screaming matches all the time.
    UzumeWillScarletKThxBaiNaoTriforceAtrialTachy
This discussion has been closed.