[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Runes and party training

AKradianAKradian
Reactions: 40,310
Member, Private Tester
edited October 2017 in Suggestions, Feedback, and Requests
Runes are an important resource for training. Especially when using Evan's Link Skill, runes increase exp gain significantly.
Assuming a character is continuously training in a map, a rune will spawn as soon as their personal cooldown for using runes (usually 15 minutes) ends.

However, what if there are two people partying or sharing a map?

The rune's exp-buffing effects, as well as character buffs (such as speed, skill cooldown reduction, or damage boost), only affect the character who activated the rune. And runes still only spawn once in 15 minutes.
So, people who wish to party up are penalized by the game, because they have to split the runes between party members, and lose out on the significant exp buffs they grant.

My suggestion is to make runes spawn faster when there's a party in the map (proportional to the number of people in the party: every 7.5 minutes if 2, 5 minutes if 3, etc).
Note that the personal cooldown doesn't change, so people could not just bring a mule to the map and then activate double the runes on their main.
pandabunnieswishtheycaredSlicedTimeArgentNyaraTorippiIts2Sharp4U

Comments

• BuckYouBuckYou
    Reactions: 1,490
    Member, Private Tester
    edited October 2017
    That would be amazing for people who prefer to train with friends. Right now they are at an even greater disadvantage than there already is, due to only one member being able to reap the rune's benefits.
  • ZephyrusSpringZephyrusSpring
    Reactions: 1,325
    edited October 2017
    Why not make it affect the whole party, or even everybody in the map?
  • AKradianAKradian
    Member, Private Tester
    edited October 2017

Because that could be abused.
    "Hey guys, I'm about to use a rune, everybody come to my map for the buff!"
  • HHG1HHG1
    Reactions: 5,986
    Member, Private Tester
    edited October 2017
    AKradian wrote: »

But if the personal cooldown is still applied then it doesn't really matter, no? It would also safeguard against rune stealers coming into your map and screwing you over.
  • AKradianAKradian
    Member, Private Tester
    edited October 2017
    SadVirgin wrote: »

But if the personal cooldown is still applied then it doesn't really matter, no? It would also safeguard against rune stealers coming into your map and screwing you over.

The personal cooldown would need to not only prevent you from using runes, but also from receiving rune buffs from other people using runes. May or may not be easier to implement than reducing rune respawn time.
  • HHG1HHG1
    Reactions: 5,986
    Member, Private Tester
    edited October 2017
    SadVirgin wrote: »

The personal cooldown would need to not only prevent you from using runes, but also from receiving rune buffs from other people using runes. May or may not be easier to implement than reducing rune respawn time.

Should be easy enough since there's already the condition that we don't receive the debuff effect from cursed rune maps when we have the cooldown active. I think it'd be more beneficial to have rune affect everyone in the map, if they're able to make it work like that. That said, maybe the effects of the rune (especially giant/lightning/destruction/reward mob) should be limited to the person using the rune since it could cause a clusterfuck of lag with several effects active in one map.
    edited October 2017
    Why does it have to be so limiting? Activating a rune while already having a shared rune effect should simply overwrite the shared one and start the rune cooldown. Like recasting a buff. Obviously for the might and lightning runes the extra effect should only be granted to the person who activated the rune, but everyone should get the exp buff.
  • AKradianAKradian
    Member, Private Tester
    edited October 2017
    Why does it have to be so limiting? Activating a rune while already having a shared rune effect should simply overwrite the shared one and start the rune cooldown. Like recasting a buff. Obviously for the might and lightning runes the extra effect should only be granted to the person who activated the rune, but everyone should get the exp buff.

So basically if you're in a party of 4 and have Evan link skill, you should have constant +100% exp from runes?
  • PeepPeep
    Reactions: 3,950
    edited October 2017
    I was going to bring up a suggestion like this but you beat me to it. I completely agree, but like anouther suggested I feel like the player who has already used a rune should receive a personal c/d that prevents them from getting the buff again from their party member. If nobody has used a rune then the exp buff should just be cast on all players.
    edited October 2017

So basically if you're in a party of 4 and have Evan link skill, you should have constant +100% exp from runes?

If you can find a constant supply of runes then why not? No one else was using them. You see exploit, I see encouraging players to interact beyond "cc plz". How many spare runes do you expect to be lying around? Are there only 4 players in the area across all channels?
  • AKradianAKradian
    Member, Private Tester
    edited October 2017

If you can find a constant supply of runes then why not? No one else was using them. You see exploit, I see encouraging players to interact beyond "cc plz". How many spare runes do you expect to be lying around? Are there only 4 players in the area across all channels?

They're not "spare runes".
    Me and my guildies all train in the same popular map, but in different channels.
    Whenever one has a rune spawn, we all cc to them to get the buff.

Yes, it's interaction, but it's also giving players (and botters, who run well-coordinated armies) way more rune buffs than originally intended.
    The purpose of this thread is to ask that players not be penalized for partying in the same map. A modest request that has a much better chance of being accepted than "give us 100% rune uptime."
    edited October 2017
    100% rune up time when coordinating with multiple people across multiple maps. That only supports five groups of four per map concurrently. Do you really expect there to be that many runes available at all times? Even in surrounding maps?

What if you're travelling to a map and someone happens to activate a rune as you're passing through? You've just lost a good chunk of that buff to travelling time and the cooldown blocks you from activating the one in your map.

Frankly, who cares if bots have perm 2x? What are they gonna do? Jump up the rankings and trigger warning bells even faster? If it was 2x drop then there'd be a tangible problem, but it's not.

We don't discuss what gets added to the game here, we discuss suggestions that the CM passes on. I'm sure they're capable of submitting multiple versions of a suggestion. The intended functionality is whatever the team decides it to be, and it's not set in stone. That's why we discuss suggestions to change and add things. Bringing up how little generosity is required on the part of the evil overlords is not constructive. The people at Nexon are not evil overlords.
  • AKradianAKradian
    Member, Private Tester
    edited October 2017
    100% rune up time when coordinating with multiple people across multiple maps. That only supports five groups of four per map concurrently. Do you really expect there to be that many runes available at all times? Even in surrounding maps?

Of course there will be runes available, because we're all grinding and spawning them, each in his or her own channel.
    We don't discuss what gets added to the game here, we discuss suggestions that the CM passes on. I'm sure they're capable of submitting multiple versions of a suggestion. The intended functionality is whatever the team decides it to be, and it's not set in stone. That's why we discuss suggestions to change and add things. Bringing up how little generosity is required on the part of the evil overlords is not constructive. The people at Nexon are not evil overlords.

We discuss suggestions that we want passed on, which means not suggestions that make us come off as greedy little children (which is what Nexon seems to think of us anyway, and the reason why they hardly ever listen to anything we ask for).
    edited October 2017
    Again, you're assuming there's 20 or fewer people trying to train on any given map. Maybe that's how it works in the dead worlds, I don't know. In healthy servers if you leave your map for a second it'll be taken. I really don't think the tactic you're suggesting would work very well in healthy servers, but for the sake of the discussion lets keep it focused to the dead worlds where its unlikely that someone would take your map while you're away.

How about this then: leaving the map or changing channels would remove the shared buff. The person who activated the rune could move around at will like now, it can't be exploited by coordinated groups, its not obstructive like the earlier suggestion to make shared runes activate your cooldown, and it still benefits people training in the same map. The only edge case I can think of is if someone activates a rune and then changes channel where their friend activates another rune. Does the first person get 2 runes? The answer should be yes and no. Yes they should receive the buff with the timer, but they shouldn't stack. Which ever was activated earliest should be the active effect. This way when the case above occurs the first player will continue using their own rune's buff until it runs out and then automatically start using the shared buff for however long it has left.
  • MageOfBattlesMageOfBattles
    Reactions: 4,280
    edited October 2017

Yeah, that doesn't happen the way you think it does. I'd love to talk about it, but my NDA isn't expired quite yet.
    edited October 2017
    I assume you're talking about the CM collecting and passing on suggestions. I was super vague about it but I'd love to hear what you think I meant and why it's wrong. Though honestly I've been suspecting for years that the CMs aren't allowed to do their jobs properly, that's why we go through so many so quickly.
  • JushiroNetJushiroNet
    Reactions: 6,160
    Member, Private Tester
    edited October 2017
    The laziest solution would be to just make runes always respawn faster. You're limited by the 15 minute cd anyway and the same cd blocks you from suffering from the elite curse so this could probably work.
    AKradian