[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts
Closed

From an old mapler, my rant about the game

IAmMercilessIAmMerciless
Reactions: 215
edited October 2017 in Rants and Raves
Hello, and as you can tell by the title this is my rant about what I personally think of the game now at its current stage. MapleStory what the f*** did you guys do? You abandoned

all your old and committed players for a new generation. Pre big bang was one of the best times I ever had, MapleStory was a game I played for hours growing up, it made me

truly happy. Back when there were only 4 classes, and Aran just coming out was an amazing time. You needed a team to do bosses and team up to clear hard maps, now all I see

are classes soloing bosses and hitting one button for an AoE spell that clears the entire map. I miss the old days when their was balance and teamwork and communication with

the community. If you played the game after the big bang update you have no clue what I am talking about so it probably sounds like rubbish. Us old maplers really wish you guys

didn't throw us in the dirt like this, community feedback didnt mean anything? Everytime I hear the song " missing you " from MapleStory it really hits me how the game has

changed to a button smashing game of who has the most flashy abilities and how fast you can do it. What happened to the teamwork of PQing with your friends to go take

down a boss? It is so EASY to level up now its ridiculous, I doubt any of the members will even care for this post but I am doing it anyway for me. All the effort and grinding and

time I put into this game only to see that now people can hit one button and do what I did in one goddamn day. I miss stuff like waiting on the rope for your MP to regen, this is

the same with every game.. sucks you guys will never help your old committed players.. goodbye to one big part of my childhood..
PeripheryDefencelion

Comments

• LagTooMuchLagTooMuch
    Reactions: 1,985
    edited September 2017
    gawd plz double space
    oh my GAWD my FREAKING EYESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
    nomicidyl
  • nomicidylnomicidyl
    Reactions: 500
    edited September 2017
    Would like your post OP, but you were a being that waited on ropes for MP.
  • LilyflowerLilyflower
    Reactions: 4,030
    edited September 2017
    my eyes good goly >.<!
  • LolaBunnyLolaBunny
    Reactions: 2,785
    Member, Private Tester
    edited January 2018
    I wish you would indent your paragraphs at least.
    2ManyAlts
  • foussiremixfoussiremix
    Reactions: 2,335
    Member, Private Tester
    edited September 2017
    Nah i rather i have my loli mahou shoujo class that burns monsters with giant pink spotlights rather than taking ages to reach lvl 30.

Also what do you mean with button mashing.
    There was always button mashing.
    DreamWeaverMapleBishopFan85
  • TheToxicDudeFromReneTheToxicDudeFromRene
    Reactions: 845
    edited September 2017
    Old Maple story was great. I'm just as nostalgic as the next individual. But new Maple is fine. If you're a veteran, there is SOOOO much more to do in new Maple than there was in old maple.

That being said, everyone is being spoiled more or less with "instant gratification". New players will never know the struggling of leveling or scrolling like we did!

Which is fine. I loved the social aspect of old Maple, but I have no problem being social in the new one. I can socialize while I merch, and then when it's time to train, I get into it. I love being able to make a legion mule with 1 2x card.

Do I miss the PQs? Sure. But that doesn't mean you can't still get a group together and do them for Monster Collection.

And scrolling? I love it! So much simpler to scroll now, AND AS LONG AS YOU ARE PATIENT, you can get yourself a perfect weapon. If anything, the vets of the day should be able to reminisce about some of the aspects of old maple, while fully appreciating some of the changes! What you have to realize is this is an MMO. Not all about catering to YOU!
    MapleBishopFan85
  • TheToxicDudeFromReneTheToxicDudeFromRene
    Reactions: 845
    edited September 2017
    MMO's are all about what you make of it, not what the Company makes out of you bruh!
  • PeripheryPeriphery
    Reactions: 400
    edited September 2017
    I understand what OP is talking about, I started playing even before Europe server was launched. I was on EU server few months after start, on Kradia. I guess most of old players came back because nostalgia hit them, so do I - and I feel okay with changes that are made. The only thing I miss is PQ's because nobody do any PQ now. Everything except that is okay
  • PirateIzzyPirateIzzy
    Reactions: 5,265
    edited September 2017
    Remember pre Big Bang? Pre Big Bang was so much better.
    EVERYTHING WAS BETTER PRE-BIG BANG.
    Here is pre Big Bang. If you didn't take hours to get from level 29 to 30, you're not a real Mapler. You helped ruin MapleStory, and now everything is changed.
    Remember Henesys Hunting Ground? IT WAS A GOOD MAP! You're too noob to remember. IT WAS A GOOD MAP! We had Kerning City PQ. YOU don't!
    We had:
    Mushmom
    Crimson Balrogs
    Ludibrium PQ
    Track
    Monster Carnival
    Mushroom Town Training Camp
    Zakum Helmets
    Perion Channel 1
    Timers at Coolie Zombies
    Slime Trees
    DEX-less Assassins
    Gobies
    ..We had Gobies. What do Maplers these days have? NOTHING. Pre Big Bang is over. All that's left is despair. The day Big Bang came, all the fun died. This generation. They don't know. They don't know. Maplers today. Maplers today. This generation. They don't know. They missed out.
  • foussiremixfoussiremix
    Reactions: 2,335
    Member, Private Tester
    edited September 2017
    PirateIzzy wrote: »
    Remember pre Big Bang? Pre Big Bang was so much better.
    EVERYTHING WAS BETTER PRE-BIG BANG.
    Here is pre Big Bang. If you didn't take hours to get from level 29 to 30, you're not a real Mapler. You helped ruin MapleStory, and now everything is changed.
    Remember Henesys Hunting Ground? IT WAS A GOOD MAP! You're too noob to remember. IT WAS A GOOD MAP! We had Kerning City PQ. YOU don't!
    We had:
    Mushmom
    Crimson Balrogs
    Ludibrium PQ
    Track
    Monster Carnival
    Mushroom Town Training Camp
    Zakum Helmets
    Perion Channel 1
    Timers at Coolie Zombies
    Slime Trees
    DEX-less Assassins
    Gobies
    ..We had Gobies. What do Maplers these days have? NOTHING. Pre Big Bang is over. All that's left is despair. The day Big Bang came, all the fun died. This generation. They don't know. They don't know. Maplers today. Maplers today. This generation. They don't know. They missed out.

Pre bb wasn't perfect, nothing is perfect.
    It had alot of flaws.
    ShadowRikuMapleBishopFan85
  • PirateIzzyPirateIzzy
    Reactions: 5,265
    edited September 2017

Pre bb wasn't perfect, nothing is perfect.
    It had alot of flaws.

Was parodying this actually:
  • IAmMercilessIAmMerciless
    edited October 2017
    Blah, blah, blah, another one of these "I miss Old MapleStory", blah blah blah, don't care about it but trying to read your wall of text gives me a headache.

Of course I was expecting this from people like you, keep hitting one button and clear the entire map and say you did it, you go on the rants section and comment on a post " blah blah blah ", this is literally for ranting i dont know why you come here if youre not going to put up with it? You kids have no logic
    edited October 2017
    Nah i rather i have my loli mahou shoujo class that burns monsters with giant pink spotlights rather than taking ages to reach lvl 30.

Also what do you mean with button mashing.
    There was always button mashing.

PQ'ing was about teamwork, and less button mashing I meant its more as how one class can solo bosses and clear an entire map with a button, the game is just flashy now and isnt as social as it used to be. Its just for drawing in a bunch of kids who will take their parents credit cards to buy stuff.
    edited October 2017
    Old Maple story was great. I'm just as nostalgic as the next individual. But new Maple is fine. If you're a veteran, there is SOOOO much more to do in new Maple than there was in old maple.

That being said, everyone is being spoiled more or less with "instant gratification". New players will never know the struggling of leveling or scrolling like we did!

Which is fine. I loved the social aspect of old Maple, but I have no problem being social in the new one. I can socialize while I merch, and then when it's time to train, I get into it. I love being able to make a legion mule with 1 2x card.

Do I miss the PQs? Sure. But that doesn't mean you can't still get a group together and do them for Monster Collection.

And scrolling? I love it! So much simpler to scroll now, AND AS LONG AS YOU ARE PATIENT, you can get yourself a perfect weapon. If anything, the vets of the day should be able to reminisce about some of the aspects of old maple, while fully appreciating some of the changes! What you have to realize is this is an MMO. Not all about catering to YOU!

I sort of agree with you, but remember this is of no offense just my own opinion. I made a lot of friends trying to find parties to PQ with, idk theres just things like how a lot of people had to hide from Balrog's when riding the ship, now its like every class is flashy and op and theres no real threat anywhere anymore.
  • pandabunniespandabunnies
    Reactions: 1,955
    edited October 2017
    I have social anxiety in game so having to team up isn't for me. I do fine on forums but in game I get nervous. Bossing with others? Forget it, I get performance anxiety and by the end I'm a nervous wreck. PQs? Hah, I wish I had the confidence. I know it seems weird for someone like me to like and mmorpg, but I like this game. I mean, I liked old maple too, but I feel way more comfortable playing new maple. I like being around people but not feeling pressured to party up and perform. I can chat with people in towns just fine, I just prefer doing bosses and stuff solo. It's easier for me, and there's probably others like me who feel the same way.
    DreamWeaver2ManyAlts
  • ShadowRikuShadowRiku
    Reactions: 900
    edited October 2017
    Yikes OP, can you fix that formatting in your post?

Or at least a TL;DR...?

Either way, pre-BB wasn't as fun as you make it seem. It was mostly grinding and if you didn't party up with others you weren't going to be able to do much as it was.
    Not everyone wanted to be with others to level constantly. Some of us enjoy soloing too.
    MapleBishopFan85
  • MageOfBattlesMageOfBattles
    Reactions: 4,280
    edited October 2017
    Hello, and as you can tell by the title this is my rant about what I personally think of the game now at its current stage. MapleStory what the f*** did you guys do? You abandoned

all your old and committed players for a new generation. Pre big bang was one of the best times I ever had, MapleStory was a game I played for hours growing up, it made me

truly happy. Back when there were only 4 classes, and Aran just coming out was an amazing time. You needed a team to do bosses and team up to clear hard maps, now all I see

are classes soloing bosses and hitting one button for an AoE spell that clears the entire map. I miss the old days when their was balance and teamwork and communication with

the community. If you played the game after the big bang update you have no clue what I am talking about so it probably sounds like rubbish. Us old maplers really wish you guys

didn't throw us in the dirt like this, community feedback didnt mean anything? Everytime I hear the song " missing you " from MapleStory it really hits me how the game has

changed to a button smashing game of who has the most flashy abilities and how fast you can do it. What happened to the teamwork of PQing with your friends to go take

down a boss? It is so EASY to level up now its ridiculous, I doubt any of the members will even care for this post but I am doing it anyway for me. All the effort and grinding and

time I put into this game only to see that now people can hit one button and do what I did in one goddamn day. I miss stuff like waiting on the rope for your MP to regen, this is

the same with every game.. sucks you guys will never help your old committed players.. goodbye to one big part of my childhood..

Frankly, the old Maple was too slow. Everything changes, it seems like a lot of people can't understand that. If Maple was still like it was back then, I kid you not, Maple would be dead. With all the other MMO RPG's out there, Maple would've died out. People wouldn't have time to take a week to get to 2nd, or a couple months to get to 3rd. And even if there were those that got to 200, there wouldn't be anything left. Also, there's still teamwork, I don't see people solo-ing the most recent bosses. And the community's still alive, there's plenty of good guilds out there.

I'd still say that the classes are balanced (For the most part), and I'd definitely say that a good chunk of classes aren't able to clear the entire map consistently. Yeah there's full map attacks, but remember the genesis spam? Yeah it's easier to level up now than pre BB, there's a higher level cap, with more content that pre bb could ever hope to have. I find it silly that you miss waiting on the rope, not doing anything. I really find that hard to believe.

This isn't a matter of "helping your old committed players", I don't see in the first place why you need help in the first place. You want the slow leveling? Go get to 220, or even 210 and start grinding. You want teamwork? Go do ursus with friends. If anything, it's on you for thinking that nothing would change over the years. Big Bang should've blatantly told you that.
  • pandabunniespandabunnies
    Reactions: 1,955
    edited October 2017

Frankly, the old Maple was too slow. Everything changes, it seems like a lot of people can't understand that. If Maple was still like it was back then, I kid you not, Maple would be dead. With all the other MMO RPG's out there, Maple would died out. People wouldn't have time to take a week to get to 2nd, or a couple months to get to 3rd. And even if there were those that got to 200, there wouldn't be anything left. Also, there's still teamwork, I don't see people solo-ing the most recent bosses. And the community's still alive, there's plenty of good guilds out there.

I'd still say that the classes are balanced (For the most part), and I'd definitely say that a good chunk of classes aren't able to clear the entire map consistently. Yeah there's full map attacks, but remember the genesis spam? Yeah it's easier to level up now than pre BB, there's a higher level cap, with more content that pre bb could ever hope to have. I find it silly that you miss waiting on the rope, not doing anything. I really find that hard to believe.

This isn't a matter of "helping your old committed players", I don't see in the first place why you need help in the first place. You want the slow leveling? Go get to 220, or even 210 and start grinding. You want teamwork? Go do ursus with friends. If anything, it's on you for thinking that nothing would change over the years. Big Bang should've blatantly told you that.

True. MMOs change, it's in their very nature. That's kinda why I like 'em. An MMO that doesn't adapt will die. I get pretty tired of hearing about how pre-BB was so much better. I played pre-BB and I don't get why so many people are OBSESSED with it. Maybe it's like genwunner syndrome, you know?
  • HardmuscleHardmuscle
    Reactions: 1,370
    edited October 2017
    We could kill entire maps in one hit back in the day (as any Bishop or Arch Mage can tell you), but I do agree;....

'Pre-Big Bang' was MapleStory at its finest.

• ZephyrusSpringZephyrusSpring
    Reactions: 1,325
    edited October 2017
    Back in the day when I was a wee boy I got a hero to level 50 three times and a fire mage (OG blaze wizard) to 40 something as well as many other classes into the low 30s. The game got boring at around level 50 and the fact that I wasn't making any major progress didn't even cross my mind because hpq, kpq, lpq and later cpq especially were so much fun.

Obviously I was going to get burnt out eventually but they've been doing well with putting out fresh and interesting content throughout the years. As with every game though I eventually reached the end game and sadly this game doesn't have much of an end game beyond grinding exp, getting better gear and fighting harder bosses. I wish they'd bring the fun back again.
This discussion has been closed.