[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Why do players hold paytowin in disdain?

FaithsArrowFaithsArrow
Reactions: 300
edited February 2018 in General Chat
Paytowin as well as pay to play(the pets in reboot, in order to play effectively) are the main reasons that there is such a thing as the current maplestory that we have and is the reason that the servers are still running. There are tons of reasons to play reboot because you feel that you've actually earned your stuff and there are also a few very good reasons to play paytowin games because some players can only play an hour a day and in reboot you can't really do much of anything only being able to play for that length of time. If a person does not have as much free time but is more busy working and can afford easily a couple hundred every year on maplestory then more power to them. Players who have little time to grind but have maplestory in their budget can have loads of fun in non reboot servers and players who have tons of time to grind (no life) can have loads of fun in reboot servers. There are narcissistic braggers in both reboot and non reboot servers (no lifers and kids who use their parents credit cards/hack/bot). I just don't understand why there is so much disdain for the entirety of pay to win players in non reboot servers.

Comments

• ManiOhManiOh
    Reactions: 2,155
    Member, Private Tester
    edited February 2018
    ehhhhh i kinda disagree when people say reg server its pay to play and reboot its free to play
    in fact reg server you can buy all the things with meso that you cant buy in reboot ( dosnt matter if its cosmetic only or not )
    {i want add on this that also reboot and reg server its diff gameplay idea we cant compare that much}

pay to win its touchy thing
    i dont see this that bad in maplestory because its not that competitive gameing
    you can choose to play and get the items
    or
    pay to get the items ( if you ask me spend all your money its your choise i dont mind )

the bad part comes when you cant get same items no matter what you play unless you pay
    or promote events that you can only enjoy if pay
    wich makes huge frustration on us maplers that nexon ignore for years

ps: i found this on old forum

"When you have to give players rewards for spending money instead of actually improving the game to get players to pay..."

• Chronic_ShockChronic_Shock
    Reactions: 570
    edited February 2018
    It's pretty simple.

People don't like it when others can get more than they can. It's the same as real life really. Ostentatious displays of wealth are annoying to people.

It's even more pronounced in Maplestory since the rich can't hide away from people like in the real world. You see people spending tons of money on cubes and gachapon and style boxes. If you can't afford that, then you feel kind of bad.

It gets worse as you realize that it's not just cosmetics behind a paywall, but power as well. Ordinary players aren't going to be spending thousands of dollars to cube perfect equipment, but when you realize that there are people doing that, it's disheartening.

Basically, it's a combination of envy and disappointment. You know you'll never progress as quickly as the whales, and will never be as strong as them. So you just keep doing what you're doing and get better slowly. Is there anything inherently wrong with pay2win? That's up to you to decide.
    ManiOh
  • DarkPassengerDarkPassenger
    Reactions: 8,980
    edited February 2018
    By steam definitions free to play are games you don’t pay at all to begin playing.

Pay to win is a community made up term for those that gain “advantage” by partaking in monetary transactions for a form of stat boost or items. My personal opinion, maple story isn’t much pay to win since you don’t win much, no end to the game. So you’re paying for a head start basically.

X player spends money to do events like marvel etc and gets items to get ahead in a shorter amount of time, y player still has the potential if y player saves up mesos to buy the items from those selling them. It’ll take time but y player can still get to the point x player is.

Pay to play are just subscription based games.

Maple story is free to play with micro transactions, emphasis on transactions.
  • JushiroNetJushiroNet
    Reactions: 6,160
    Member, Private Tester
    edited February 2018
    Remember when you earned items by playing and not by paying to open crates?
    ManiOh
  • ManiOhManiOh
    Reactions: 2,155
    Member, Private Tester
    edited February 2018
    JushiroNet wrote: »
    Remember when you earned items by playing and not by paying to open crates?
    yea there is still possibility for this but gets harder all the time when there is allways new and stronger items only for $$$
    if thats not enoguh you get more and more rewards for your actvily $$$ spend

then once they destory server they make new and throw old under carpet saying new one will be f2p
    i just wait the moment when reboot get ruined with lots of $$ items like reg server over time then what ?
    here new "great balanced " server agin ? :)