[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Why are you not collection crash logs?

DFDFDDFDFD
Reactions: 2,160
edited August 2018 in Suggestions, Feedback, and Requests
It's a very common practice nowadays that when an online game crashes a pop up show up encouraging you to send a crash log to the developers (ie Riot's bugsplat).
They can use this valuable data to find the causes for common game-crashing bugs and fix them.
Maplestory does not do that, despite the game crashing an outrageous amount of times every day for the vast majority of players. No fixes have been made to address this excluding some very specific cases such as the recent mobility skill crash on the Ark patch.
How do you even intend on fixing these crashes, if you're not doing basic data collection from your users? How are you gonna identify the problems without it? Do you even want to? Cause so far you've got nothing to show for it...

Comments

• PhantomMasterThiefPhantomMasterThief
    Reactions: 3,195
    Member, Private Tester
    edited August 2018
    5D8zPUc.png

You have the option to choose if you want to enable it.

also when you log in on a new account/region you didn't play before it auto-asks you whether or not you want to enable this feature.
  • DFDFDDFDFD
    Reactions: 2,160
    edited August 2018
    According to the message it displays it sends them your fps, current map, world, level and job, as well as your PC's specifications. I don't think they use this feature to investigate client crashes. As in, I don't think any special log is sent to them whenever someone crashes specifically, identifying the line of code that caused it.
  • NeospectorNeospector
    Reactions: 9,760
    Volunteer Forum Moderator
    edited August 2018
    DFDFD wrote: »
    According to the message it displays it sends them your fps, current map, world, level and job, as well as your PC's specifications. I don't think they use this feature to investigate client crashes. As in, I don't think any special log is sent to them whenever someone crashes specifically, identifying the line of code that caused it.

Crash logs will typically detail PC specifications, current map, and other details. This allows developers to track and record patterns to help identify the issue. For example, if an issue is only affecting computers running Windows 10, and Windows 8 users are fine.
    The line in the code is likely sent as well, along with other debug information. What the message is doing is alerting you that your information is being sent alongside it. Many companies do this because many people dislike the idea of their information being logged.

Identifying what line of code caused it isn't actually as helpful as you think. For example, here's a segment of a crash report generated by one of my projects:
    5WouTlF.png
    I actually had serious problems with this issue occurring repeatedly, but couldn't identify the cause. You could guess that I had mistyped the name of the database table in the SQL query, but it had worked the day before so that couldn't have been it. For some reason, the database the program was accessing kept disappearing at random.

Give up yet? The actual issue was that my team was using a publicly accessible test database which everyone in the school had access to, and as a result it was repeatedly being overwritten by other students turning in their work for the database management course. I only managed to identify the issue because I brought it up with the guy who managed the school's databases and he pointed out that we were using the test database rather than the official one we had been assigned (he also acknowledged the problems with the publicly-accessible test database and flagged it to be shut down).

But you'll note that you couldn't have guessed that from the line of code on its own. You need to look at all factors to understand crashes; especially if an incident can't be reproduced in a testing environment.
    PhantomMasterThief