[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Ability to buy cash items outside of packages

KlaraKlara
Reactions: 3,385
edited December 2018 in Suggestions, Feedback, and Requests
Can we PLEASE have the option to buy cash items SEPARATELY outside of packages? I've been after the Guardian Clothing (top) for years, requested it on the suggestions forum at least twice, but was ignored each time. My wind archer is rotting because I don't feel like royalling or playing her since I'm never going to be able to complete her dream look if things don't change.

It would be a much better strategy to allow players to buy specific items they want instead of a whole set. Gluing perms into a set is what prevents me from buying anything at all because I don't want everything in a package; it's just not worth throwing away my money for things I don't even need. I'm sure many others feel the same. More fish will bite at the chance to buy individual items at a low cost than waiting for the few players who're interested in a complete set.

I just want to buy specific things I like to customise my characters with different bits and pieces. MapleStory 2 allows this, so why not ms1?

Comments

• FuhreakFuhreak
    Reactions: 7,440
    Member, Private Tester
    edited December 2018
    Klara wrote: »
    Can we PLEASE have the option to buy cash items SEPARATELY outside of packages? I've been after the Guardian Clothing (top) for years, requested it on the suggestions forum at least twice, but was ignored each time. My wind archer is rotting because I don't feel like royalling or playing her since I'm never going to be able to complete her dream look if things don't change.

It would be a much better strategy to allow players to buy specific items they want instead of a whole set. Gluing perms into a set is what prevents me from buying anything at all because I don't want everything in a package; it's just not worth throwing away my money for things I don't even need. I'm sure many others feel the same. More fish will bite at the chance to buy individual items at a low cost than waiting for the few players who're interested in a complete set.

I just want to buy specific things I like to customise my characters with different bits and pieces. MapleStory 2 allows this, so why not ms1?

Isn't the idea of buying it in the first place "things you don't need"?
    Are you really letting your windarcher rot because you can't look the way you want to on it? That seems a bit silly if you ask me.
    I will agree that more options isn't a bad idea. But the notion that you can't play a character because of this is a bit extreme.
    YinYangX
  • KlaraKlara
    edited December 2018
    Fuhreak wrote: »

Isn't the idea of buying it in the first place "things you don't need"?
    Are you really letting your windarcher rot because you can't look the way you want to on it? That seems a bit silly if you ask me.
    I will agree that more options isn't a bad idea. But the notion that you can't play a character because of this is a bit extreme.

It's not silly because everyone plays differently and for their own reasons. I enjoy character designing so I've planned a theme and look for each class that I would really like to recreate ingame instead of just on maplestorydesign. I'm very proud of how they've turned out because colours are very limited ingame.

And it's not just my wind archer that is 'rotting'. My zero beta main hasn't had anything desirable to wear for over 5 years now because I'm still waiting on certain cash items. Don't get me wrong, that doesn't stop me from playing a class. I have used alternatives during the meantime but it's just so disheartening to look at an incomplete character design for so long. I want to be able to move around ingame, show off the look I've planned and for people to understand what my character is.

The only thing stopping me from doing this is the limited option of obtaining items through packages. We shouldn't have to buy the whole package if it includes things we don't like and won't ever use. If I buy something, I want the satisfaction of using it (however brief), otherwise I'll keep regretting to have bought a package in the first place. None of my characters would suit the ochre gloves and brown shoes, the hat undesirably flattens the hair, and the sceptre is too awkwardly held. They might suit someone else, but I surely don't want to keep them.
  • FuhreakFuhreak
    Member, Private Tester
    edited December 2018
    Edit for clarity.
    -snip-

And it's not just my wind archer that is 'rotting'. My zero beta main hasn't had anything desirable to wear for over 5 years now because I'm still waiting on certain cash items. Don't get me wrong, that doesn't stop me from playing a class. I have used alternatives during the meantime but it's just so disheartening to look at an incomplete character design for so long. I want to be able to move around ingame, show off the look I've planned and for people to understand what my character is.
    -snip

I'm sorry, this ultimately falls on you. This doesn't prevent you from playing. This part of the post is silly.
    If you've been waiting for this package for years, surely you've been able to save up the extra money to just grab the whole thing.

Now as far as offering perms outside of a package, I would like to see this. At an increased price if buying the whole set, when compared to the package.
  • KlaraKlara
    edited December 2018
    -snip-

I'm sorry, this ultimately falls on you. This doesn't prevent you from playing. This part of the post is silly.
    If you've been waiting for this package for years, surely you've been able to save up the extra money to just grab the whole thing.

Now as far as offering perms outside of a package, I would like to see this. At an increased price if buying the whole set, when compared to the package.

I don't know what you quoted but I'm aware that whatever it is doesn't prevent me from playing.

Not everyone has a job - particularly the younger players. I sometimes have money to put aside for cash items I really want but I don't want to spend extra on what is going to gather dust. If each piece was fully tradeable I wouldn't mind buying the whole package and selling most of it in the auction house. At one point I wanted two of those tops but $18-20 usd would just be ridiculous, especially for an Australian player. I've also been after individual items from multiple packages like the red shoes (2-3 pairs), kinesis uniform, and chocoram shoes but I'm always deterred by the other items I'd be forced to keep.

If putting those items into the cash shop individually isn't possible I would still be very happy if everything was in surprise style boxes. I prefer to pay other people mesos for the uneeded perms they obtain. I'm very proud of how that one-eyed grim reaper set was advertised since it offered two options for players.
  • FuhreakFuhreak
    Member, Private Tester
    edited December 2018
    I don't know what you quoted but I'm aware that whatever it is doesn't prevent me from playing.
    Was a response to the whole post, I guess I should have left in a little context to make that more clear.
    Not everyone has a job - particularly the younger players. I sometimes have money to put aside for cash items I really want but I don't want to spend extra on what is going to gather dust. If each piece was fully tradeable I wouldn't mind buying the whole package and selling most of it in the auction house. At one point I wanted two of those tops but $18-20 usd would just be ridiculous, especially for an Australian player. I've also been after individual items from multiple packages like the red shoes (2-3 pairs), kinesis uniform, and chocoram shoes but I'm always deterred by the other items I'd be forced to keep.

If putting those items into the cash shop individually isn't possible I would still be very happy if everything was in surprise style boxes. I prefer to pay other people mesos for the uneeded perms they obtain. I'm very proud of how that one-eyed grim reaper set was advertised since it offered two options for players.

Yep. This is why I support the idea. I just didn't think the whole "can't play" bit was a bit far fetched.
    I think if Nexon allows you to buy the items outside of the packages, they could potentially increase sales. (Just mark them up at a premium)
    If there's anything we can (hopefully) trust Nexon with, it's making money. They might choose not to because it wouldn't be worth while.
    I still think they should do it, just also looking at it from a company's perspective.
  • KlaraKlara
    edited December 2018
    I'm hoping the price isn't going to be too inflated. :c

I volunteer at an op shop where we get a lot of donations each day. The strategy my manager follows is not to price things too high so they get sold quicker and that we can put more stuff out as it's donated. The nicer items that come in are priced higher of course. If things are cheap, we get more customers and people are willing to buy more.
    Fuhreak
  • AggraphineAggraphine
    Reactions: 19,415
    edited December 2018
    How much does the package itself cost?
  • Instinct9001Instinct9001
    Reactions: 545
    edited December 2018
    Edit for clarity.
    -snip-

-snip

I do not believe this is the part of her comment that is 'silly'... Wanting to look a certain way in Maplestory is a huge selling point for Nexon, this is why the cashshop has expanded so rapidly since its beginning, and why people pay excessive amounts of money for certain nx gear, and even in game names (which is against TOS). People feeling like their character design is incomplete due to a lack of updated cash shop items is a reasonable complaint considering the amount of money people pay for these cosmetics..

It would be silly if you were waiting 5 years for an item and DIDN'T buy it because you had to buy 4 other items with it, making it a 15,000NX or so ordeal. I think your complaint is very legitimate, but I think we also have to realize Nexon is actually very profit-driven in their ideas, and do not hide the severe pay to win aspect of maplestory. But wanting to look a certain way in game, seeing flaws in the design otherwise, and showing off your look to other players is not silly, it is a pretty conventional mindset in the game. So much of maplestory is cosmetics/flexing your stuff. People spend over 30bill on maple chairs to flex while they sit in their computer chairs... It is an odd phenomena, but maplestory cosmetics are a huge selling point. They should really look into the NX suggestions thread more often, lots of lost business for Nexon.
  • FuhreakFuhreak
    Member, Private Tester
    edited December 2018
    I do not believe this is the part of her comment that is 'silly'... Wanting to look a certain way in Maplestory is a huge selling point for Nexon, this is why the cashshop has expanded so rapidly since its beginning, and why people pay excessive amounts of money for certain nx gear, and even in game names (which is against TOS). People feeling like their character design is incomplete due to a lack of updated cash shop items is a reasonable complaint considering the amount of money people pay for these cosmetics..

It would be silly if you were waiting 5 years for an item and DIDN'T buy it because you had to buy 4 other items with it, making it a 15,000NX or so ordeal. I think your complaint is very legitimate, but I think we also have to realize Nexon is actually very profit-driven in their ideas, and do not hide the severe pay to win aspect of maplestory. But wanting to look a certain way in game, seeing flaws in the design otherwise, and showing off your look to other players is not silly, it is a pretty conventional mindset in the game. So much of maplestory is cosmetics/flexing your stuff. People spend over 30bill on maple chairs to flex while they sit in their computer chairs... It is an odd phenomena, but maplestory cosmetics are a huge selling point. They should really look into the NX suggestions thread more often, lots of lost business for Nexon.

Bold part of the quote seems to be exactly what this player has done though.
    -snip-
    I've been after the Guardian Clothing (top) for years
    -snip-
    -snip-
    The only thing stopping me from doing this is the limited option of obtaining items through packages. We shouldn't have to buy the whole package if it includes things we don't like and won't ever use.
    -snip-
    (Two different posts, I'm making assumptions here, so take this with a grain of salt)

What I think is silly is not playing characters because they don't look a certain way. Wanting your character to look that way isn't silly. I support that idea.
    But the idea that you go play other characters or let a certain one rot because they don't look a certain way, is what I'm trying to say is silly.
    I didn't mean to derail the thread, I'm sorry about that.

What OP is asking for is reasonable, so long as Nexon continues to offer packages, at a discount compared to buying all items separately.
    Alternatively, Nexon could place packaged items inside of surprise boxes during the course of the package being on sale.

EDIT:
    I'm hoping the price isn't going to be too inflated. :c

I volunteer at an op shop where we get a lot of donations each day. The strategy my manager follows is not to price things too high so they get sold quicker and that we can put more stuff out as it's donated. The nicer items that come in are priced higher of course. If things are cheap, we get more customers and people are willing to buy more.

I've had the pleasure of working yard/sales and flea markets before. While you do sell faster if you low ball, if you have a certain number of customers it's possible to have so many customers, it doesn't matter if most don't buy anything.
    Ultimately what Nexon is doing is still viable. I think they give the option of the time limited gear to make players who can't afford the perm packages or surprise boxes. (Just trying to see it from a business perspective)
    I think Nexon could still include the options I mentioned above and not hurt profits.
    Of course that's just speculation, not even Nexon can predict how things will go over.