[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Bleeding player base

FoolsPlayFoolsPlay
Reactions: 670
edited November 2018 in Suggestions, Feedback, and Requests
You have been bleeding players due to low server populations for some time. A new world/server combination is needed.
SecondHeroEXdest

Comments

• SecondHeroSecondHero
    Reactions: 1,320
    edited December 2018
    This. I fully agree.

We should have 3 North American worlds. Bera, Scania, and Reboot. That will contain the entire population.

Let people that aren't on Bera or Scania move to one of those. It sucks to have a really cool 200+ character with a stepford-wives community
  • NeospectorNeospector
    Reactions: 9,760
    Volunteer Forum Moderator
    edited December 2018
    SecondHero wrote: »
    This. I fully agree.

We should have 3 North American worlds. Bera, Scania, and Reboot. That will contain the entire population.

Let people that aren't on Bera or Scania move to one of those. It sucks to have a really cool 200+ character with a stepford-wives community

Please do not bump (multiple) month(s)-old threads.
  • Arch_AlyssaArch_Alyssa
    Reactions: 1,335
    edited January 2019
    Calm down, it's only a month old...
  • FuhreakFuhreak
    Reactions: 7,440
    Member, Private Tester
    edited January 2019
    Neospector wrote: »

Please do not bump (multiple) month(s)-old threads.

Why are forums so against necro-posting?
    Do you want people to use the search function or not?
    Would you rather them create a million threads on the same subject, or use the search function to revive an older thread on that subject.

If the topic is still relevant, why is necro-posting frowned upon?
  • NeospectorNeospector
    Reactions: 9,760
    Volunteer Forum Moderator
    edited January 2019
    Fuhreak wrote: »
    Would you rather them create a million threads on the same subject, or use the search function to revive an older thread on that subject.

Necro-posting is frowned upon on every forum I have ever been on because old threads are assumed to have died. Necro-posting generally does not add anything to the topic, the discussion has typically moved on and the information made irrelevant/outdated, and in extreme cases many people do not want to see a thread they thought has died.
    Reviving threads just to say "I agree" or "bump lol" isn't helpful to the discussion, it's just as much spam as creating multiple threads on the same subject.

In this specific case, the user bumped this thread (a month old, with no replies and very little information) while simultaneously posting in this thread and this thread with the same opinion, despite these two threads being much more recent. This indicates that they actively searched for this thread specifically to bump it, despite threads being readily available on the subject.
  • XiangTuXiangTu
    Reactions: 1,225
    edited January 2019
    This topic should be pinned to the suggestions forum, it is of utmost importance to this game because although the OP wrote minimally on the topic they pretty much summed up MapleStorys biggest problem in 3 lines.. why hasn't anything been done for this huge problem? We were told nothing would happen in 2018 (by Savage ace I think?) And now it's a new year, and they haven't addressed the server problem since 2017. This topic determines whether MapleStory is next to dead for 5/6 of the servers or active in 2 or 3. This thread or the one with 10k+ views on the same subject should be pinned to emphasize how huge this suggestion/feedback is from the playerbase
    EXdest
  • Arch_AlyssaArch_Alyssa
    edited January 2019

Necro-posting is frowned upon on every forum I have ever been on because old threads are assumed to have died. Necro-posting generally does not add anything to the topic, the discussion has typically moved on and the information made irrelevant/outdated, and in extreme cases many people do not want to see a thread they thought has died.
    Reviving threads just to say "I agree" or "bump lol" isn't helpful to the discussion, it's just as much spam as creating multiple threads on the same subject.

In this specific case, the user bumped this thread (a month old, with no replies and very little information) while simultaneously posting in this thread and this thread with the same opinion, despite these two threads being much more recent. This indicates that they actively searched for this thread specifically to bump it, despite threads being readily available on the subject.

I don't think the reasoning was to volontary necro bump the thread but was to speak his thought and share it with the community... I think forums are meant to be like this, if not, I don't see why we should use the forums then...
  • XiangTuXiangTu
    Reactions: 1,225
    edited January 2019

I don't think the reasoning was to volontary necro bump the thread but was to speak his thought and share it with the community... I think forums are meant to be like this, if not, I don't see why we should use the forums then...

+1
    Also it's only a month old on a not so active forum.. it's almost like "shhhh, don't bring this up again"..
    Arch_AlyssaSuperJonic
  • MargoVioletMargoViolet
    Reactions: 820
    edited January 2019
    No point making other game improvements or suggestions if your game is dead. This topic should be bumped daily the whole forum is obsolete without addressing this problem, as solving other issues for a dying population is similar

"the information made irrelevant/outdated,"
    The information in this thread is not irrelevant or outdated.. despite all those threads being made on this topic that you attached, this pressing problem has not been solved yet... So how is bumping a thread on an issue that is still highly relevant and not yet addressed by the company to this date frowned upon? I would like clarification as this seems counterintuitive to the goals of maples suggestions forum and if a mod thinks otherwise I believe clarification is needed for future suggestions that have the general consensus of the playerbase yet still are not addressed by Nexon.. are we supposed to give up on suggesting they address the dying server populations after afew threads on the issue died? the servers suck man, do not digress from this thread topic pls I already lack optimism for seeing our suggestions considered and this issue effects the population of 5/6 servers ..
  • DarkPassengerDarkPassenger
    Reactions: 8,980
    edited January 2019
    Theres already a huge thread about this topic. and it too died down. meaning everyone has already said their peace on it. One more person saying they want a server merge wouldn't constitute a need to necro post. Nexon is already aware some of you guys want one.

It was addressed, whether you like the response they gave or not, they already responded, Arwoo relayed Nexon's message that theyre discussing how to approach this.

This suggestion, because it's all it is, a suggestion, isn't what keeps the forums alive.
    Fuhreak
  • AggraphineAggraphine
    Reactions: 19,415
    edited January 2019
    The only time I've ever seen necro posting not immediately be looked at through the lens of "what exactly is wrong with you" is when the new post actually adds something meaningful to the subject at hand and isn't just "yeah I agree" or something as equally worthless.
    Fuhreak
  • MargoVioletMargoViolet
    edited January 2019
    Theres already a huge thread about this topic. and it too died down. meaning everyone has already said their peace on it. One more person saying they want a server merge wouldn't constitute a need to necro post. Nexon is already aware some of you guys want one.

It was addressed, whether you like the response they gave or not, they already responded, Arwoo relayed Nexon's message that theyre discussing how to approach this.

This suggestion, because it's all it is, a suggestion, isn't what keeps the forums alive.

Everyone didn't say their piece because we still have more people commenting on these types of threads.. I don't think we can end this topic as over and done with before there is a solution. We were told nothing would happen within 2018. Also, I don't think the mentality of discounting 'just one more person's opinion' is appropriate for a forum. More people voicing their opinion on this matter for this long clearly indicates nexons prior address of the problem was inadequate, so naturally players are still going to complain about the situation... whether you think that is in vain or not is up to you ( this whole forum might be in vain lol)

I think you missed the point about this topic keeping the game alive. It's not a matter of which is the most important thread, but rather what are the consequences of not adequately addressing this thread topic for the game as a wjolr?( I.e. no server merge=very dissatisfied players. Possibly quitting would be reasonable as it's an mmorpg not solo story mode. Perm nx suggestions not being implemented=players moving on) Other suggestions pale in comparison to trying to save the server populations bc they won't matter if people are dissatisfied with their servers and quit... The minority that don't want a merge/Alli is irrelevant; they aren't going to quit if there is a merge, whereas a lot of people are quitting because of the small servers. And I don't blame them, there's more bots than people in ch 1 windia and there's not even that many bots
    Arch_Alyssa
    edited January 2019
    Yeah, what I meant to say by that is they already know it is a suggestion that a lot of players want. Meaning one more person's opinion wont make it any more important. They know already. It's not an easy thing to plan for. In conjunction to other content being planned.

I belive they also need to get approval from KMS, not entirely sure about that, but seeing as KMS owns the intellectual property, it's safe to assume they do, especially being a big change.

So, not only do they need to work out a plan to implement things, how the restructuring may be, where anyone involved in the planning is comfortable and content, they have to get approval.

So, it doesn't matter how many people want it now, it won't get here now.

I personally don't care how many people there are in Channel 1 Henesy in any server, I don't play the game to be in channel 1 henesy. I play windia, I have buddies I do some bosses with or dailies, and that's all that really matters. I don't need a whole populated server just to be able to play. it'd be best not to judge a server's population by how many people want to lounge around in henesy channel 1.
  • MargoVioletMargoViolet
    edited January 2019
    Yeah, what I meant to say by that is they already know it is a suggestion that a lot of players want. Meaning one more person's opinion wont make it any more important. They know already. It's not an easy thing to plan for. In conjunction to other content being planned.

I belive they also need to get approval from KMS, not entirely sure about that, but seeing as KMS owns the intellectual property, it's safe to assume they do, especially being a big change.

So, not only do they need to work out a plan to implement things, how the restructuring may be, where anyone involved in the planning is comfortable and content, they have to get approval.

So, it doesn't matter how many people want it now, it won't get here now.

I personally don't care how many people there are in Channel 1 Henesy in any server, I don't play the game to be in channel 1 henesy. I play windia, I have buddies I do some bosses with or dailies, and that's all that really matters. I don't need a whole populated server just to be able to play. it'd be best not to judge a server's population by how many people want to lounge around in henesy channel 1.

You still are missing the point.. wdym one more persons opinion doesn't make it more important? Where is the point of dimishing returns for players voicing their opinion in a suggestions forum? We cannot determine when more players asking for something becomes useless, otherwise we shouldn't have threads but rather short individual posts without the ability to respond in agreement or disagreement.

It doesn't need to come right this instant, that's not the objective of the post, but rather to express it's continuing importance and the lack of competency in addressing this issue in a timely manner. Regardless of needing approval it's been over a year since these complaints started from the last attempt at solving this problem (the server xfer of 2017) so I don't blame players for feeling that they need to keep pressing this issue to see action, because we HAVEN'T seen action since 2017, considering the state of the game that is simply bad management.

I do not lounge around in ch 1 henesys either, however it demonstrates how much of a problem the population is when 5 bots outnumber real players in one of the most popular maps.. you can try to say that isn't a problem but it'd be delusional for a gamer to not understand how an MMORPG is suffering when half a dozen bots are all the players on a given map.

I understand you personally don't need a whole populated server to play a mmorpg, but it's common sense to understand why others would, right? You might not need it but you surely aren't strongly appalled by the idea of increasing the population are you? Because people on the other side of the spectrum are strongly appalled by the lack of people in their server. So yes, they are going to keep complaining, and Nexon saying 'one moment please' isn't going to stop people from complaining about this situation. Not like we're expecting change today, but for the interest of players and Nexon as a business, increasing the population efficiently would be a very good idea.
    Arch_Alyssa
    edited January 2019
    Alright, nice speech and all but the main thing here brought to attention by Neospector is not the validity of the topic but not to necropost. LIke I said, I don't care whether or not the population increases or stays the same, it doesn't change my gameplay.

More people playing does not equal to more peope spending. Suppose everyone goes to Reboot where only things to buy with nx are aesthetics and pets, where pets are a one time thing if anything and water of life are in reward shop. Does that reall bring any revenue increase to Nexon? Just because theres more players? That's not the point though is it? The point is start a new thread to bring it to attention again. With details explaining why it would be a good idea.

Another thing, how does a merge or alliance increase playerbase, when it's the same amount of players already? there's no acquisition, only through customer acquisition would population increase. Even if more players are in the same server, it still wouldn't entail any revenue generated if those players aren't spending. Or are you telling me those players don't spend because their servers are empty? Why would they need more people to spend?

So just quit the theatrics, no one is stopping you from saying anything about a merge or alliance. Just dont do it on an older thread.

• MargoVioletMargoViolet
    edited January 2019
    Alright, nice speech and all but the main thing here brought to attention by Neospector is not the validity of the topic but not to necropost. LIke I said, I don't care whether or not the population increases or stays the same, it doesn't change my gameplay.

More people playing does not equal to more peope spending. Suppose everyone goes to Reboot where only things to buy with nx are aesthetics and pets, where pets are a one time thing if anything and water of life are in reward shop. Does that reall bring any revenue increase to Nexon? Just because theres more players? That's not the point though is it? The point is start a new thread to bring it to attention again. With details explaining why it would be a good idea.

Another thing, how does a merge or alliance increase playerbase, when it's the same amount of players already? there's no acquisition, only through customer acquisition would population increase. Even if more players are in the same server, it still wouldn't entail any revenue generated if those players aren't spending. Or are you telling me those players don't spend because their servers are empty? Why would they need more people to spend?

So just quit the theatrics, no one is stopping you from saying anything about a merge or alliance. Just dont do it on an older thread.

Jeez was my solid argument really coming off as theatrical?

As was stated before, it was a month difference on a relatively inactive forum.. and the topic is still highly relevant. Id have to agree with others this is a stretch to call necroposting based on those 2 reasons.

I understand a merge doesn't increase the amount of overall players... It increases the volume of players per server, and I don't want to make an argument about why that is important to an mmorpg because it is self explanatory. A lot of functions compromised because of low population, the trade market and getting a boss queue come to mind first, big problem in windia...

MapleStory isn't about attracting new players anymore it's about preserving the players they got lol. That's why the vast majority are veteran players who played many years ago as well. If you make the game more enjoyable via server merge, there is an increased chance they'll stick around for longer and potentially spend more money, yes.

There was so many threads about this topic they had to merge them all together to make that huge thread with like 11k+ view, yet threads are still being made complaining about this server situation, so clearly it's a big deal. Considering all the threads already existent on this topic, im not surprised he commented on a thread in December made in November.. although he could've made another thread about it and we could merge them all together again! Either way, very important suggestion.
  • Arch_AlyssaArch_Alyssa
    edited January 2019

A month old thread is considere necro bump?? Geez People need to chill a little...
  • FuhreakFuhreak
    Reactions: 7,440
    Member, Private Tester
    edited January 2019

I believe if you have something to add to THAT THREAD, it should be allowed. Really for ongoing issues like these, we need a sticky or seperate sub-forum for "Stop making these threads, we already know" section.
    (E.G.: Kanna, Server Merge, Hackers)
  • AggraphineAggraphine
    Reactions: 19,415
    edited January 2019
    A month old thread is considere necro bump?? Geez People need to chill a little...

Generally if no one has said anything in a month, it's considered settled or otherwise a non-issue. The concept of necroing a dead thread is overlooked if the most recent post adds something of substance to the thread. This thread had zero replies until whatshisname came in to say very little beyond "yeah I agree", which doesn't really pass muster for being a substantial contribution to a month-old thread that got zero attention in the 46 days since its creation.

There is rarely, if ever, a reason to go four or five pages back in any given section of any forum(not just this one) to dredge up a long-abandoned thread with no contribution beyond agreement with whatever the OP of that thread had originally stated.
  • Arch_AlyssaArch_Alyssa
    edited January 2019
    Aggraphine wrote: »

Generally if no one has said anything in a month, it's considered settled or otherwise a non-issue. The concept of necroing a dead thread is overlooked if the most recent post adds something of substance to the thread. This thread had zero replies until whatshisname came in to say very little beyond "yeah I agree", which doesn't really pass muster for being a substantial contribution to a month-old thread that got zero attention in the 46 days since its creation.

There is rarely, if ever, a reason to go four or five pages back in any given section of any forum(not just this one) to dredge up a long-abandoned thread with no contribution beyond agreement with whatever the OP of that thread had originally stated.

He/she didn't just say "yeah I agree", but put his/her toughts as well on the topic... If we can't freely express ourselves then there is no reason to write down on the forums. If the topic was over 3 months old, I would considere the necro thing, but for a month old topic, I think it's more to shut down that person's tought on the subject.