[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.250 - Mayple Island Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Maple Story on Mac

GargelpsGargelps
Reactions: 200
Can someone give me support so I can play the game on my Macbook?
If possible some video on youtube.
Thank you very much

Comments

• FuhreakFuhreak
    Reactions: 7,440
    Member, Private Tester
    edited January 2019
    I don't believe Maplestory will ever run on Mac or Linux without support from Nexon.
    The only way you could possibly get it to run is disable or work around the hack protection, which is an awful idea and will just get you banned.
    Still, one can hope that someday they will fix it to work for these operating systems.
    MapleStory is literally the only thing still tying me down to windows.
  • SlicedTimeSlicedTime
    Reactions: 1,720
    edited January 2019
    AFAIK MapleStory relies too much on software libraries and technologies exclusive to Windows for it to be run on any other platform, even if Wine or Play on Linux was used. OS X isn't a suitable choice for gaming nowadays anyway.

However, if you really want to play using your Macbook, I'm pretty sure you could do so by installing Windows aside your pre-existing macOS via Boot Camp. That way you can switch between Windows and macOS whenever you need by restarting your machine. Then you could install MapleStory on the Windows partition of your machine.

Here's Apple's official guide to using Boot Camp: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201468. Please note that you still need a valid copy of Windows to install on your machine, which costs like $140 from official sources (https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/windows-10-home/d76qx4bznwk4/1NT3)
  • FuhreakFuhreak
    Reactions: 7,440
    Member, Private Tester
    edited January 2019
    SlicedTime wrote: »
    AFAIK MapleStory relies too much on software libraries and technologies exclusive to Windows for it to be run on any other platform, even if Wine or Play on Linux was used. OS X isn't a suitable choice for gaming nowadays anyway.
    I believe at this point it's mostly due to anti-cheat. Proton (Steam fork of wine) works pretty well with a lot of games now, however anything with anti-cheat is still out of the question.
    However, if you really want to play using your Macbook, I'm pretty sure you could do so by installing Windows aside your pre-existing macOS via Boot Camp. That way you can switch between Windows and macOS whenever you need by restarting your machine. Then you could install MapleStory on the Windows partition of your machine.
    I dual boot into Linux/Windows and have no problems running Maplestory, I don't see why they would have any issue with Mac/Windows.
    SlicedTime
  • AggraphineAggraphine
    Reactions: 19,415
    edited January 2019
    This has come up once or twice a year that I know of since I began playing this mess back in 2014. Each time the thread doesn't really go anywhere past the OP saying "I want to play it on my mac without booting into windows", and it's just not feasible. There is so little demand from mac users for a mac-native client that, even if it were possible with the lack of software libraries between windows and mac, there's just not enough demand to warrant creating a new client on a new OS from the ground up and then supporting it in tandem with a windows client that is arguably already enough of a mess as it is without a split of resources.

And given how trivial it is nowadays to simply dual-boot two different operating systems, there's no real need for a mac-native client. Everything on the first page of google results for "how to play maplestory on mac" say "just dual boot".

So if I were you, OP, I would simply sort out giving yourself a separate hard drive partition(let's call it 60-80GB, depending on the total size of your hard drive) and installing windows to that.
    Fuhreak
  • wilsondywilsondy
    bonjours je parle francais jesperr que ont va pouvoir me répondre j'ai un macbook et jaimerai sa savoir comment je peu jouer a applestory sur macbook please sa fait des années que essaye de savoir comment :(((