[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.250 - Mayple Island Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Rewrite the Ending

AK712AK712
Reactions: 1,840
edited January 2019 in Suggestions, Feedback, and Requests
Playing through the Black Mage event was a lot of fun. The story line was going really well until I got to the part where the Black Mage starts entering the Genesis Crux and Orchid "rests." You are asked by the Black Mage the reason for fighting, and you are given two options: the "will to sacrifice" and "the will to survive." I chose the "will to sacrifice", which apparently led me to "lose," and I was then reprimanded by Tana, which led to the game saying the "correct" answer was "the will to survive."

Excuse me?

There are two huge issues with even putting this in the game in the first place. Firstly, nearly every MapleStory main storyline (and most secondary storylines) involved heroes who were willing to sacrifice themselves for the good of others: all of the Heroes (especially Shade), Crimsonheart, Afrien, Shinsoo, the mercenary of Grand Athenaeum, all of the Winter Bard characters, the Maple Alliance members... the list goes on and on. To suddenly say that heroes are made from the "will to survive" basically says every past hero is stupid for sacrificing themselves. In fact, the only "hero" who had the "will to survive" was Lireni from Masteria through Time, who actually calls himself a coward and tells everyone "not to repeat his mistakes."

Secondly, it's blatantly wrong in life. All of the heroes we celebrate we do so because they sacrificed themselves for others, even giving their lives at times. Most recently we celebrated Martin Luther King Jr. Day, who most certainly is a hero because of his sacrifices, not his "will to survive." I would go so far as to say anyone who lives only to survive is a coward who would run away whenever their life is threatened. That's not a hero; no one would respect that person.

So I believe it's simply right to switch the choices: the "will to sacrifice" is the right choice, and is what makes the Adversary of Destiny... not the "will to survive."

Thanks,
AK712

Comments

• NeospectorNeospector
    Reactions: 9,760
    Volunteer Forum Moderator
    edited January 2019
    The point is that self-sacrifice only makes sense if it solves the problem at hand. You sacrificing yourself to stop the Black Mage wouldn't help people survive, it'd just kill you, possibly wouldn't even succeed, and leave the rest of the Alliance worse off because now they lack their hero.

A similar issue was lampshaded in the Order of the Stick while discussing Roy's inability to attack the cleric of Hel at the Godsmoot; Roy could attack her, but it'd force the clerics whose gods support the destruction of the world to attack Roy thanks to the Godsmoot's rules. Even though the fate of the world is at stake, Roy doesn't do anything:
    Roy wrote:
    Honestly, I've got half a mind to take one for the team and try anyway. Being dead's not so bad. I've got a cool little nightlight with my name on it, and I could go with some home cooking.
    But even if I kill her before they toast me, that wouldn't tie this all up with a neat bow.
    If I die, my team falls apart and Big X moves into scoring position—and everyone is right back here voting in a week or two.
    Recent lesson, connected to that "dying" thing: Noble sacrifices only make sense when they solve the problem at hand.

The only way the world stays saved is if this vote fails and we never have another one
    The Durkula arc is eventually wrapped up with a different sacrifice, but this sacrifice makes sense because it actually does solve the problem at hand (also necessary to expand on the plot with the Snarl).

Additionally, it's not so much the "will to survive" as in "eat food, breathe, and don't get stabbed in the gullet by a giant magic sword", it's more like the collective will for the world to survive; the fight against the Black Mage was, at the most basic level, a fight to decide whether or not the world should continue to exist. Someone who escapes a fight just to survive might be a "coward" in some works, but someone who pointlessly stays behind to die when they could pull back and win later would be considered a fool in others.

Think about the similar speech made in One Piece episode 278: Nico Robin turned herself in to protect the Straw Hats from CP9, only for the Straw Hats to turn around and declare war on the World Government; Robin's sacrifice isn't glorious, it's actually rather selfish. In the end, the important part is that her friends fought for her, and nothing is solved by her killing herself, so she declares "I want to live". Because fighting for what you believe in is far more noble an act than simply giving up and dying because of what you believe in.

The trope for this is called Senseless Sacrifice, the downer counterpart to Heroic Sacrifice. You can find more examples of works deconstructing the necessity of sacrifice in the Tropes page, including real world examples as a counter to MLK that you mentioned.

Edit: Also, my character's choices were "I would sacrifice my life if it meant saving everyone else" versus "I must defeat my enemies, even if I have to give my own life to do it". Both were sacrifices. Unless this specific dialog is different per character:
    HSZKoW3.png
    scholar624YinYangX
  • HHG1HHG1
    Reactions: 5,986
    Member, Private Tester
    edited January 2019
    Wasn't the choice between "The will to sacrifice" and "The desire to defeat Black Mage", or something along those lines. Pretty sure it was designed for you to learn something new regardless. Plus you are fighting on behalf of the Maple World's will to survive, not your own hero complex.
    Strive to live on for the people who depend on you, you're of more use alive than dead, etc.

And to repeat words from a recent controversy; MLK did not give his life, he was assassinated.
    YinYangX
  • FuhreakFuhreak
    Reactions: 7,440
    Member, Private Tester
    edited January 2019
    Man now I wish I had chosen the wrong option!
    The point was that you weren't willing to give ANYTHING away.
    Rather than saying "It's okay to sacrifice x" your character is supposed to go all anime and say "I'm not giving you a damn thing!"
    It's the desire to not lose anything that's important. I feel like this one might have been lost in translation.
    Orchid kept telling us that we needed to be ready to sacrifice. When the real key was not being willing to give up anything, even if it meant our life.
    I think the explorer felt they HAD to sacrifice, rather than that it was a possibility. At least, that's the way I interpreted it.

Edit: Oh and all those other heroes you mention had a will for the world to survive. The will to sacrifice was second to that.
    This is why I think something got lost in translation.

Edit2: I really should have read Neospector's post first...
  • HousePetHousePet
    Reactions: 1,245
    edited January 2019
    Well Orchid was wrong on a lot of things...
    Fuhreak