[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

IGN's

CurrencyCurrency
Reactions: 1,000
edited March 2019 in Suggestions, Feedback, and Requests
To whom it may concern,

Today, March 31st 2019, I was trying to come up with a IGN for my I/L arch mage that I was going to set out on a journey within the world of MapleStory. I came to think of the name Regice. Yes, the legendary ice Pokemon. I know it's not very original but I thought I'd give it a shot anyway. Unsurprisingly the IGN had already been taken from another player. This did not stop me in my tracks though. I went to the leader boards to see what world "Regice" played in, and to my surprise the name wasn't listed in any world. Which can only mean one thing, the account owner had done something allegedly against Nexon's TOS, likely resulting in a banned account. Now if the account owner is banned indefinitely I feel that all the IGN's within that account should be released back to the public for re-use. This is my suggestion please take it into consideration.

Best Regards
  1. Do you think IGN's should be re-released if the account they're attached to gets permanently banned?8 votes
    1. Yes
       38% (3 votes)
    2. No
       63% (5 votes)

Comments

• AKradianAKradian
    Reactions: 40,310
    Member, Private Tester
    edited March 2019
    Permanent bans are sometimes overturned, either because Nexon realizes they were unjustified or because of a "second chance" event.

Additionally, when last we had a name-clearing event, Nexon said that names in banned accounts will not be released. The reason was that they don't want players to take IGNs of famous hackers or cheaters, intentionally or not, and acquire an unearned reputation.
    YinYangX
  • CurrencyCurrency
    Reactions: 1,000
    edited March 2019
    AKradian wrote: »
    Permanent bans are sometimes overturned, either because Nexon realizes they were unjustified or because of a "second chance" event.

Additionally, when last we had a name-clearing event, Nexon said that names in banned accounts will not be released. The reason was that they don't want players to take IGNs of famous hackers or cheaters, intentionally or not, and acquire an unearned reputation.

All of which I completely understand and knew already, however, personally I don't agree. I've played MapleStory for years and I've never met or heard of a "famous" hacker or cheater, and even if well known within the World the name dies out after a few months and nobody remembers them anyways. Also I felt I should put my thoughts out there as a suggestion to change the rule. If the thread gets lots of views and people agree with my stance, Nexon may change this, if people don't agree, no problem.
  • AggraphineAggraphine
    Reactions: 19,415
    edited March 2019
    Currency wrote: »

All of which I completely understand and knew already, however, personally I don't agree. I've played MapleStory for years and I've never met or heard of a "famous" hacker or cheater, and even if well known within the World the name dies out after a few months and nobody remembers them anyways. Also I felt I should put my thoughts out there as a suggestion to change the rule. If the thread gets lots of views and people agree with my stance, Nexon may change this, if people don't agree, no problem.

Well, I can see you're new here...
    TrystarrSlicedTimeFuhreakPirateIzzy
  • ShadEightShadEight
    Reactions: 3,110
    edited March 2019
    Actually it could also mean the character is a lv1 unplayed character (ie an ign holder)
  • TrystarrTrystarr
    Reactions: 1,450
    edited April 2019
    Aggraphine wrote: »
    Currency wrote: »

Well, I can see you're new here...

I laughed