[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Nexon 'cleaning house' for Disney acquisition?

TrystarrTrystarr
Reactions: 1,450
edited April 2019 in General Chat
So recently alot of botters have been banned it seems. You can tell due to the lack of blackmarket advertising in game, as well as the prices of everything going up.. I just read Disney is looking to buy Nexon for $7.3billion... is Nexon just putting in effort now in order to make it seem they have their biggest asset under control? Do you guys think Disney will more effectively address issues with MapleStory? (hackers in rampant blackmarkets, server instability and low populations, $2000 frenzy totems) In my opinion most of these problems are the result of Nexon being unable to manage the game. I'm actually pretty excited for Disney to do this, as I've been saying for years Nexon is mismanaging GMS, and apparently the majority stakeholder of Nexon has wanted to sell since the beginning of the year.. what're your guys thoughts on this huge news?

Comments

• AggraphineAggraphine
    Reactions: 19,415
    edited April 2019
    An offer is not a final sale
    Kuronekonova
  • pepepepe
    Reactions: 2,125
    edited April 2019
    Who in their right mind would buy Nexon for $13.2 billion lol
    Kuronekonova
  • AKradianAKradian
    Reactions: 40,310
    Member, Private Tester
    edited April 2019
    Trystarr wrote: »
    So recently alot of botters have been banned it seems. You can tell due to the lack of blackmarket advertising in game, as well as the prices of everything going up.. I just read Disney is looking to buy Nexon for $7.3billion... is Nexon just putting in effort now in order to make it seem they have their biggest asset under control? Do you guys think Disney will more effectively address issues with MapleStory? (hackers in rampant blackmarkets, server instability and low populations, $2000 frenzy totems) In my opinion most of these problems are the result of Nexon being unable to manage the game. I'm actually pretty excited for Disney to do this, as I've been saying for years Nexon is mismanaging GMS, and apparently the majority stakeholder of Nexon has wanted to sell since the beginning of the year.. what're your guys thoughts on this huge news?

Biggest asset?
    Nexon makes nearly all its money in Korea and China. The West only accounts for a few % of their revenue. And Maplestory is only part of that.

Also, I've seen no report that Disney made any offer to buy Nexon. Only reports that Kim wishes they would buy it.
  • AggraphineAggraphine
    edited April 2019
    pepe wrote: »

People who believe the investment will be worth it for whatever profits the absurd Asian-market revenue would bring them. Stop looking at the company as a player and start looking at things from the business side of things and things will start to become clear. There's far more to nexon than "lol what a terrible company, can't even fix bugs in a 15 year old game smh".
  • rizariza
    Reactions: 3,025
    edited April 2019

First I want to mention I too did notice that and it can be a factor in their business move. One thing a buyer wants to know is if the product works, is it effective and is it worth the longevity? With Disney move to buy Nexon, they can poll in money to maybe fix the game for players maybe do surveys and reports. Also with Disney taking over, we can look at a few business moves they can pull. One can be making an official Maplestory anime. WIth all animations and cartoons come revenue to be made which involves, toys aka "MapleStory merch", soundtracks and other stocks.

There's a lot of smart moves Disney can make and will definitely make as anyone who practices good business can see the defections in the current product and fix it. The bugs and stuff you mention can be a very small % of the problem but what it showing is Nexon wants to keep players inside to show their player base is still active and kicking. I remember before I got ban that there was a chart that showed the player base before and after a few moves Nexon made. It fell drastically. with that being said it shows a few things, that Nexon is aware of the issues and trying to drag it out for a deal to be made then Disney can dump their resources to fixing all issues while whoever owns Nexon now walks away with their cash.

Its a hypothesis and a guess but from how it looks to me and a few others that how it seems. Now It a question about how we the community feels about it and what we plan to do knowing what they are doing or taking a few guesses. But for me, I can see a lot of moves they can make and remember a lot of the people who own companies are very cheap. Disney is one company that invest in giving the best product and has a large history of it. It might be a good idea for them to buy it maybe then we can get the best out of this brand and company with Disney. Maybe bring in more relax and decent people and maybe have in-game mods to help moderate the game and maybe make more jobs for cybersecurity.

But yeah if anyone who using their head can come in and fix it why not?
  • pepepepe
    edited April 2019
    Aggraphine wrote: »

People who believe the investment will be worth it for whatever profits the absurd Asian-market revenue would bring them. Stop looking at the company as a player and start looking at things from the business side of things and things will start to become clear. There's far more to nexon than "lol what a terrible company, can't even fix bugs in a 15 year old game smh".

Yes good luck finding someone willing to dish out 10 years worth of ROI. You must be kidding me if you truly believe Disney will take the bait and buy Nexon simply based on their market evaluation. The former bid of $9 bn (equal to Kim's shares) by other parties was still too much for some that they planned to form a consortium if it went through. For reference, Supercell (who makes more than Nexon annually) was acquired by Tencent for about $8.6 bn. You don't need a business degree to figure this out, Nexon is basically that item in FM 1 entrance that never gets sold despite an absurdly high c/o.
    WONDERGUYSlicedTimeKuronekonova
  • AggraphineAggraphine
    edited April 2019

Yes good luck finding someone willing to dish out 10 years worth of ROI. You must be kidding me if you truly believe Disney will take the bait and buy Nexon simply based on their market evaluation. The former bid of $9 bn (equal to Kim's shares) by other parties was still too much for some that they planned to form a consortium if it went through. For reference, Supercell (who makes more than Nexon annually) was acquired by Tencent for about $8.6 bn. You don't need a business degree to figure this out, Nexon is basically that item in FM 1 entrance that never gets sold despite an absurdly high c/o.

At what point did I state that Disney was going to buy them? Please show me in both of my previous posts where I explicitly said that Disney would be buying nexon.
  • TrystarrTrystarr
    edited April 2019

At what point did I state that Disney was going to buy them? Please show me in both of my previous posts where I explicitly said that Disney would be buying nexon.

I mean it was kind of implied in your initial post along with the condescending mockery of what you see as a typical maplers perspective on the business side of Nexon being bought, which was in response to someone suggesting the deal wouldn't go through.. you didn't explicitly say so, but the typical reader of this would be compelled to view that as your opinion based off your response. You didn't explicitly say they wouldn't buy it either... and based off what you did say, how can you blame them for thinking that was your opinion? Semantics, amirite? Seems like a digression from the forum topic, maybe just clarify your initial response instead of nit picking that posters response to you..

On a more relevant note, Disney is on a roll recently, and I would love if they bought Nexon tbh, considering how bad its managed already, it'd be hysterical if it got worse.
  • AggraphineAggraphine
    edited April 2019
    Your original post that I replied to made it sound like nexon "cleaning house" by continuing to ban bots and the like(as well as patch exploits, which would contribute to the lack of them seen spamming chat in towns) was in preparation for Disney to buy the controlling interest. Just because an offer, hypothetical or otherwise, is made doesn't mean that a final sale is on the horizon. And in this case, it's not even a hypothetical, it's just someone going "I wish <x> would <y>".

And then pepe comes in acting like their own experiences with the game, and nexon america specifically, are a good read on the company as a global whole. It's not. They may run gms at a loss(which, like many other things, is a rumor that I don't think anyone's ever offered concrete evidence of), but China and Korea are both turning ludicrous profits, China especially. One satellite office does not a multinational corporation make.
  • ShadEightShadEight
    Reactions: 3,110
    edited April 2019
    I doubt Disney is even paying attention to the botting situation. I also doubt they'd do much to GMS or even KMS for that matter. They'll just develop newer games for the Asian and global mobile market using the plethora of IPs they own and just let the Maplestory team continue with their operations.
  • AKradianAKradian
    Reactions: 40,310
    Member, Private Tester
    edited April 2019
    They may run gms at a loss(which, like many other things, is a rumor that I don't think anyone's ever offered concrete evidence of)

Nexon Q4 2018 Investor Presentation:
    http://pdf.irpocket.com/C3659/drYi/y6kI/LC9S.pdf

Specifically slide 31
    unknown.png
    Granted, this talks about regions, not specific games.

FuhreakSlicedTime
  • pepepepe
    edited April 2019
    And then pepe comes in acting like their own experiences with the game, and nexon america specifically, are a good read on the company as a global whole. It's not.

Don't you think that it's a tad bit hypocritical that you get ticked off when you claim I straw manned you yet you're still peddling these assumptions? I'll make it clearer for you: They ain't worth the asking price.
    WONDERGUY
  • TrystarrTrystarr
    edited April 2019
    Your original post that I replied to made it sound like nexon "cleaning house" by continuing to ban bots and the like(as well as patch exploits, which would contribute to the lack of them seen spamming chat in towns) was in preparation for Disney to buy the controlling interest. Just because an offer, hypothetical or otherwise, is made doesn't mean that a final sale is on the horizon. And in this case, it's not even a hypothetical, it's just someone going "I wish <x> would <y>".

And then pepe comes in acting like their own experiences with the game, and nexon america specifically, are a good read on the company as a global whole. It's not. They may run gms at a loss(which, like many other things, is a rumor that I don't think anyone's ever offered concrete evidence of), but China and Korea are both turning ludicrous profits, China especially. One satellite office does not a multinational corporation make.

My initial post was asking the question "is Nexon cleaning house for this acquisition to happen"? Not econcretely making a correlation between the two, but rather asking if you thought it was a coincidence or not... I was not making the assumption of a final sale, I think you missed my point entirely...

Also, pepe didn't make a judgement based off his experience with the game.. where did he make that connection or am I missing something? He simply stated noone would be willing to pay13bill..an opinion I did not see stated as predicated on his gaming experience... Or are you just assuming this opinion of theirs is based on their experience as a player?
  • rizariza
    edited April 2019

My initial post was asking the question "is Nexon cleaning house for this acquisition to happen"? Not econcretely making a correlation between the two, but rather asking if you thought it was a coincidence or not... I was not making the assumption of a final sale, I think you missed my point entirely...

Also, pepe didn't make a judgement based off his experience with the game.. where did he make that connection or am I missing something? He simply stated noone would be willing to pay13bill..an opinion I did not see stated as predicated on his gaming experience... Or are you just assuming this opinion of theirs is based on their experience as a player?

It's similar to what I mentioned before its all miscommunication where an assumption isn't what is meant or implied in a post or response. You will always run into this type of talk or rhetoric when someone tries to mix words without independently looking into the context of your words. I say I get what all you meant after taking time to read and analyze it so I can give the best response possible.

Overall there's a lot going into the decision making for Nexon being possibly purchased by Disney, and no you don't need to go to business school to know the business as many of those business or corporate owners have no education besides being self-taught or train by a relative or an owner themselves. I feel that if Disney wants to acquire "meaning want to have or own" Nexon stock or business itself, they will do what they need to do to buy it. As we speak now even Nintendo switch has been making moves to acquire some game licenses like Rockstar games such as GTA and red dead redemption 2, and many other companies have been making efforts to collaborate or help each other out.

The pro to Disney buying Nexon is they will have more money and resources to fix the issues in the game. Also, another example is club penguin Disney bought club penguin and did such a good job that it actually had hit the game consoles. So there are pros in this and again don't need a business degree if anyone says that they are 100% broke and depressed.
  • WONDERGUYWONDERGUY
    Reactions: 3,370
    edited April 2019
    another "clickbait" marketing thing just like they did with amazon and ea
    put big name company as "potental" buyer to secure "10b+ worth"

same thing as i said for EA and amazon
    you can chek their investments in last years and see their investments and interest
    their net worth and investments plans its not same
    alltho disny has biger potental with money invest i belive nexon will be sold to asian market like Tencent, Kakao,Netmarble...

kim dreams-wish quotes dosnt match reality market, even he know and said nexon its hated for money grabing (like EA in most case )

10-13b $ investment on business thats on top peak
    and while there is regulations like eu... belgium,korea,china... online ban gamble-lootbox for underage...
    hence sudden reacton from kim to sell his nexon %

good luck tho
  • ShadEightShadEight
    Reactions: 3,110
    edited April 2019
    riza wrote: »
    Also, another example is club penguin Disney bought club penguin and did such a good job that it actually had hit the game consoles.
    They also ran it to the ground and eventually shut it down. For a long time I have suspected that Nexon has been keeping GMS alive partly because of the sentimental value it holds. I think there is a case to be made that the grass isn't going to be greener on Disney's lawn when it comes to GMS. They could easily just shut it down and save resources on more promising ventures (ie mobile games) rather than fixing our wounds. Be careful what you wish for.
  • rizariza
    edited April 2019
    ShadEight wrote: »
    riza wrote: »
    Also, another example is club penguin Disney bought club penguin and did such a good job that it actually had hit the game consoles.
    They also ran it to the ground and eventually shut it down. For a long time I have suspected that Nexon has been keeping GMS alive partly because of the sentimental value it holds. I think there is a case to be made that the grass isn't going to be greener on Disney's lawn when it comes to GMS. They could easily just shut it down and save resources on more promising ventures (ie mobile games) rather than fixing our wounds. Be careful what you wish for.

That is miss information its still up and running, "https://cponline.pw/"; also there ds game "https://www.gamestop.com/ds/games/club-penguin-elite-penguin-force/71929". They had fixed the problem and maybe with the technology that was later released it probably made club penguin considered as "invisible technology" and people maybe not use it as much due to technological advancement in the flash and video game business.

But they had fixed the problem and was marketing a lot and a lot of people play it still. Also, it not as popular as MapleStory, The artist and commissioners musicians, the voices, and the people people can keep the game alive as we have done a lot of things in our communities that others have not.

We have commissioned artist, creative trolls and comedians, streamers, events, musicians, animation creators and much more. I say we with our innovative ways of bringing the best out of our resources are what kept the game alive. If Disney reaches out and asks us how to fix the game and provide resources, I see no harm.

As it stands rn I won't put words in anyone mouth or say this as a fact but by the decisions and actions of whoever is making it for gms, since the last event which was world transfer event which was the main cause and trigger of our base falling, mistakes and errors kept happening and it has been unproductive and bad on us.

I say it could be Disney or anyone who takes over just not whoever is part of it now. I don't endorse nor support whoever came up with the world transfer event as they are the one who created most of this mess rn. But yea look at it from another angle as Disney has help companies but its the player base that needs to support it. Club Penguin doesn't have a big base like maple, so like I said let's provide real information and give valid reasons why it can work or not work.