[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Goodbye worlds, hello replacement worlds??

Comments

• PirateIzzyPirateIzzy
    Reactions: 5,265
    edited May 2019
    [deleted]

Moderator note: Please stay on topic.
  • DaxterbeerDaxterbeer
    Reactions: 7,195
    edited May 2019
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Maplestory/comments/bpy7bz/maple_memo_v204_status_update_may_17/

Someone even suggested the arrangement GRAZEDMYBCKN + WindyKhroa so that the two new worlds are closer in populations. I thought of another combination that results in almost 3 equal parts. ScaniaGRAZED, WindyMYBCKNKhroa and Bera. I wonder if Dennis thought of these alternative combinations.
    MargoViolet
  • AggraphineAggraphine
    Reactions: 19,415
    edited May 2019
    Daxterbeer wrote: »
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Maplestory/comments/bpy7bz/maple_memo_v204_status_update_may_17/

Someone even suggested the arrangement GRAZEDMYBCKN + WindyKhroa so that the two new worlds are closer in populations. I thought of another combination that results in almost 3 equal parts. ScaniaGRAZED, WindyMYBCKNKhroa and Bera. I wonder if Dennis thought of these alternative combinations.

You know full well it wasn't just Dennis making the decision here. Though I would not be opposed to learning of their decision-making process regarding this.

As for the after-the-fact world populations(though I question the means by which they came to their conclusions), maybe a possibility could be to allow 200-300 inbound transfers to the new worlds on a first-come-first-serve basis.
  • HHG1HHG1
    Reactions: 5,986
    Member, Private Tester
    edited May 2019
    One thing I do want to discuss is whether they're planning a transfer event before/after/during this merge and why it's a good/bad idea.

MSEA had a one-way-out transfer event before their merge and from what I heard it backfired because people left their servers before the merge happened, so the new server is even more dead now, supposedly. And there was no transfer event afterwards to allow people into the new server.

I can see Nexon trying to open up transfers because they want people to move their extra characters out before the merge. But we all know that's not what's gonna happen. People will jump ship and then the new servers will become even less populated.

http://www.maplesea.com/events/view/184_d2j_premerge/
    "The union of seven.. It's coming and you can't stop it, but you can leap it!"

Such a horrible idea when you're aiming for higher populated worlds by doing a merge in the first place.
  • StayGoldStayGold
    Reactions: 1,670
    edited May 2019
    @OP: I'm saddened by the fact that there's going to be yet another world merge (I think this is the second one that's occurred in the past 3-4 years), but like Aggraphine said,

"This will be a long-term benefit to the game's overall health. It's been a long time coming, and while I don't wholly agree with their current plan, it's an improvement over the current state of affairs."

This is a practical way of looking at things. Resorting to talking about politics and unfairness in society towards a certain group of people in order to generate an emotional response is not going to do anything but make you a victim of ridicule, especially if you're on a forum that is 99.99% unrelated to real-life politics.

Anyways, seeing as how I play in Broa (which I estimate has only one hundred to two hundred players online ON AVERAGE), the proposed plan will result in:

New World #1 being the amalgamation of several "essentially lifeless" servers to create a single server that will house less than 1000 players (excluding botters).

AND New World #2 being the amalgamation of one semi-populated server and several "essentially lifeless" servers that will house more than 1000 players.

Keep in mind, the numbers above are to give a representation of the population of each non-Reboot server that will be merged (I don't have actual numbers, but by looking at my own world's channel bars and comparing them with the other worlds that will be merged besides Windia, it's safe to assume that is the case).

It's really too bad that both Scania and Bera will continue to be standalone servers. Ever since the World Transfer Event that happened in 2017, EVERY OTHER SERVER OTHER THAN Scania, Bera, and Windia has been empty. Barely anyone hanging around in Henesys Market, in the town of Henesys, looking to do PQs with other players, etc. It's kinda what I expected after returning on the 13th.

At this point, I'm thankful to Nexon America for continuing to support GMS even though they know that the playerbase has dropped significantly since 2015 (a lot of people came to check out RED and the Explorer revamps) and even before then. "Mapler for life", as they say.

Most players from pre-BB have moved onto playing other video games or stopped entirely and live as adults, doing adult stuff. Furthermore, the popularity of playing on video game consoles is also a contributing factor as to why the game's playerbase has dwindled in the past five years. It's time to come to terms with the reality that MapleStory will not last forever.

To end on a positive note, I honestly cannot believe Maple's 15th Anniversary is next year. I can't wait to see what unique event bosses and monsters will be introduced, or if old ones like Anniversary Cake Monster and Big Puff Daddy will make a return.
  • AKradianAKradian
    Reactions: 40,310
    Member, Private Tester
    edited May 2019
    HHG1 wrote: »
    One thing I do want to discuss is whether they're planning a transfer event before/after/during this merge and why it's a good/bad idea.

MSEA had a one-way-out transfer event before their merge and from what I heard it backfired because people left their servers before the merge happened, so the new server is even more dead now, supposedly. And there was no transfer event afterwards to allow people into the new server.

I can see Nexon trying to open up transfers because they want people to move their extra characters out before the merge. But we all know that's not what's gonna happen. People will jump ship and then the new servers will become even less populated.

http://www.maplesea.com/events/view/184_d2j_premerge/
    "The union of seven.. It's coming and you can't stop it, but you can leap it!"

Such a horrible idea when you're aiming for higher populated worlds by doing a merge in the first place.

I don't know why AsiaSoft chose to do this, but the result was easy to predict. I feel reasonably confident Nexon America won't make the same mistake.

The only World Leap I can see them allowing in the near future is letting people leave Bera. I know there are some who find it too crowded or laggy and might consider one of the new merged worlds (or Scania) sufficiently populated for their needs. But Nexon should definitely not allow anyone to leap out of any of the other worlds, at least until the merged populations have had time to settle. In my opinion.
  • ACMBlackCipherACMBlackCipher
    Reactions: 1,690
    edited May 2019
    If we do get to vote on the replacement world names there's a small chance of being able to keep Windia I suppose. My fingers are crossed lol
  • AKradianAKradian
    Reactions: 40,310
    Member, Private Tester
    edited May 2019
    If we do get to vote on the replacement world names there's a small chance of being able to keep Windia I suppose. My fingers are crossed lol

We get to vote from a list that Nexon provides. I doubt they'd include the existing names of worlds in that list.
  • FuhreakFuhreak
    Reactions: 7,440
    Member, Private Tester
    edited May 2019
    AKradian wrote: »

We get to vote from a list that Nexon provides. I doubt they'd include the existing names of worlds in that list.

Out with the old, in with the new (names.)
    So long as they don't make one of them something I always read as "MyBacon".
  • SumiSumi
    Reactions: 1,840
    Member, Private Tester
    edited May 2019
    Ok so merge is fine i guess. Even tho i like my quiet windia as it is...
    But since im at 46 chars now 47 with pathfinder coming.. And i got a few characters at other worlds. Im just not seeing how 50 character slots is enough. I like my characters and always spend money to make them look cute.. But with this merge coming it meansnim going to have to delete characters i spend time and money on. Wich i dont see as fair. Why not increase the slots to more then 50 like 60 maybe. To give people some more space for characters
    xparasite9
  • MargoVioletMargoViolet
    Reactions: 820
    edited May 2019
    Daxterbeer wrote: »

That 3 server suggestion is pretty ideal Imo.
    DaxterbeerSumi