[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Changing the input for auction house listing price

LiftedMirageLiftedMirage
Reactions: 710
edited June 2019 in Suggestions, Feedback, and Requests
Hello all,

Recently I made a huge mistake of accidentally listing an item for 29mil instead of 29bil...
So yeah just so no one else makes that mistake I wanted to suggest a change to be implemented for the method of which you input the price.

My suggestion would be instead of just having one text box where you just enter the numbers, implement multiple that separates numbers between each 0's.
So like this: 00 | 000 | 000 | 000 where the user enters the value in between each box, so 29 million would be 00 | 029 | 000 | 000

1. Should this be implemented9 votes
    1. yes
       44% (4 votes)
    2. no
       56% (5 votes)

Comments

• MiraMira
    Reactions: 4,160
    Member, Private Tester
    edited June 2019
    I mean, there are quite a few checks and balances along the way. After you enter the price, a message pops up that confirms the price you want it set at, which you could have seen was incorrect. Furthermore it then moves to your sell inventory, which you will see the price of again. I get that it was a mistake, but I feel like there are an appropriate amount of measures already in place to combat something like that happening.

It could, theoretically, be a nice possible thing for sometime in the future, but I don't think it is as inherently necessary as other major flaws with the game.

Sorry you lost 30b on a typo lole. =(
  • LiftedMirageLiftedMirage
    edited June 2019
    Mira wrote: »
    I mean, there are quite a few checks and balances along the way. After you enter the price, a message pops up that confirms the price you want it set at, which you could have seen was incorrect. Furthermore it then moves to your sell inventory, which you will see the price of again. I get that it was a mistake, but I feel like there are an appropriate amount of measures already in place to combat something like that happening.

It could, theoretically, be a nice possible thing for sometime in the future, but I don't think it is as inherently necessary as other major flaws with the game.

Sorry you lost 30b on a typo lole. =(

Yeah I see what you mean and it was my fault for overlooking it, I didn't really pay attention at the time because I thought I did it correctly.

Edit: However I would like to point out that they are adding QoL updates in the future patch GLORY (ex: allowing return scrolls on top of the Lachelin Clock Tower) so I think it'd be alright to implement this alongside those.
  • HHG1HHG1
    Reactions: 5,986
    Member, Private Tester
    edited June 2019
    Multiple boxes would be incredibly annoying to fill out not to mention you wouldn't be able to copypaste the full price anymore for multiple listings. It already shows you the decimals when you list something. Slow down next time.

One QoL that I do want for AH is the ability to auto-fill the price with the current lowest listing or by weekly average market price or something when you drag the item to be sold. Maybe just show a range from highest to lowest?
    It's mildly annoying to first have to search up the item's various prices before using the other tab to actually sell it.
  • TwilightHimeTwilightHime
    Reactions: 1,245
    edited June 2019
    Add an option in the game settings to switch between the simplified input and this complicated input so people can choose which one they want. Best of both worlds.
    LiftedMirage
    edited June 2019
    HHG1 wrote: »
    Multiple boxes would be incredibly annoying to fill out not to mention you wouldn't be able to copypaste the full price anymore for multiple listings. It already shows you the decimals when you list something. Slow down next time.

One QoL that I do want for AH is the ability to auto-fill the price with the current lowest listing or by weekly average market price or something when you drag the item to be sold. Maybe just show a range from highest to lowest?
    It's mildly annoying to first have to search up the item's various prices before using the other tab to actually sell it.

Are you not familiar with this method? For your issue in games that use this, you would start from the left most box for the highest tenth you want to input, and copy + pasting would fill out all boxes to the right of it as well. If you wanted to just hold down 9's for example, it would automatically keep going down each box to the right. Just like pressing tab when filling out a form (although it's automatic and you don't have to press tab). Since each box can only hold one integer, the system will automatically assume when another number is inputted, it will go to the next box.
    Edit: Oh I guess I didn't make it clear in my example, but each 0 is it's own box. the | are just dividers for each thousandth. Please let me know if there are any potential flaws you want to address about this method

I like your suggestion as well :)
  • BeefBeef
    Reactions: 2,560
    edited June 2019
    Why make it so hard? I would do it like Runescape and make it so u can just type 30b and it puts as 30,000,000,000, or 5m and it puts it as 5,000,000. It would be a very nice QoL for trading/storage
  • HHG1HHG1
    Member, Private Tester
    edited June 2019

Are you not familiar with this method? For your issue in games that use this, you would start from the left most box for the highest tenth you want to input, and copy + pasting would fill out all boxes to the right of it as well. If you wanted to just hold down 9's for example, it would automatically keep going down each box to the right. Just like pressing tab when filling out a form (although it's automatic and you don't have to press tab). Since each box can only hold one integer, the system will automatically assume when another number is inputted, it will go to the next box.
    Edit: Oh I guess I didn't make it clear in my example, but each 0 is it's own box. the | are just dividers for each thousandth. Please let me know if there are any potential flaws you want to address about this method

I like your suggestion as well :)

So you'd first have to count which box you want to start in and select it. And I can't think of any other case in MapleStory that automatically switches field to type in. So I'm pretty sure you'd end up having to click each box to enter a number. I have 0 faith in that copypasting a full price would work if Nexon were to implement this.
    If anything it'd be more convenient to have the numbers pushed from the right to left as it is now. In which case we're already shown the dividers at the top.
    889Qr6x.jpg
    Having each number input in it's own box when the meso cap is 30b would just look messy and needlessly complicate things, in my opinion.
    edited June 2019
    So you'd first have to count which box you want to start in and select it. And I can't think of any other case in MapleStory that automatically switches field to type in. So I'm pretty sure you'd end up having to click each box to enter a number. I have 0 faith in that copypasting a full price would work if Nexon were to implement this.
    If anything it'd be more convenient to have the numbers pushed from the right to left as it is now. In which case we're already shown the dividers at the top.
    889Qr6x.jpg
    Having each number input in it's own box when the meso cap is 30b would just look messy and needlessly complicate things, in my opinion.

Err what do you mean? Are you saying Nexon would have too much trouble inputting this method to get it working like I'm intending? Yes you would have to count which box you want to start in and select it, then just hold down numbers like usual. It shouldn't be any different than what we have now except for the first part. Copy and pasting will just require the coding to check every box one by one. For java you would just put multiple if statements for when a text box exceeds max elements, though I know obviously it wouldn't be that easy for them.

Beef wrote: »
    Why make it so hard? I would do it like Runescape and make it so u can just type 30b and it puts as 30,000,000,000, or 5m and it puts it as 5,000,000. It would be a very nice QoL for trading/storage

Its not really that hard, all you have to do is click the box you want to start in and hold a key like usual.

Your idea is pretty convenient but it doesn't really work when max mesos is 29,999,999,999.. Or I guess 30b would automatically default that? I guess if it would always default the number to n-1, like 5m to 4,999,999 it would totally work. Yeah I like this

Honestly aside from my first Idea, I'm now thinking it'd just be better to have a "shadow" inside the text box that you type in, showing an array of feint 0's that clearly indicate what the maximum value is and what price you're inputting
  • HHG1HHG1
    Member, Private Tester
    edited June 2019
    889Qr6x.jpg

Err what do you mean? Are you saying Nexon would have too much trouble inputting this method to get it working like I'm intending? Yes you would have to count which box you want to start in and select it, then just hold down numbers like usual. It shouldn't be any different than what we have now except for the first part. Copy and pasting will just require the coding to check every box one by one. For java you would just put multiple if statements for when a text box exceeds max elements, though I know obviously it wouldn't be that easy for them.

I'm not really confident in Nexon's ability to implement something like this, based on how other similar functions work in the game.
    Auction House search fields already don't do this and has wildly incorrect number of digits allowed. Same with other input fields.
    For example you have the guild search. Your guild can only be 25 levels, but the field allows 3 digits and doesn't automatically move onto the next field.
    Hell, tabbing doesn't even work.

I'm also saying it's more inconvenient to count through a long row of boxes to decide where to start rather than typing down your price instantly, then just glancing over your final price which already includes dividers to confirm, plus the additional popup asking you to confirm the price.
    We don't have separate currency tiers like in say, WoW, where you select the amount of gold, silver and copper separately.

I'm not against the 0 background if that makes it easier for some players to get a better idea of what their final price is (even though it displays it right above). But I don't think it's necessary or feasible to change the input, for MapleStory at least.