[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

I'm back and I'm clueless

iKhaniKhan
Reactions: 100
in General Chat
So it's probably been a good 8 years since I've touched this game and came back today. The Reboot server seemed interesting to me because the Maple economy was one of the things I didn't like back in 'the good ol days'.

Anyway,

I started a new character this morning and I'm already a level 60 Hermit. What kind of equips should I be going for in this reboot thing? I've just been wearing stuff from drops but I feel like I should be hitting way harder than I am.

Damage Range is 1537~2364. Am I crazy or is this super low for this level? Any tips would be greatly appreciated since I currently have no direction in this game lol

Comments

• NeospectorNeospector
    Reactions: 9,760
    Volunteer Forum Moderator
    edited July 2019
    Equips from drops are what you should be wearing and your damage should be fine.

If you want, however, you can use the spell trace items that drop from monsters to enhance your gear, and when all scroll slots are used up, you can use mesos to add stars.
  • iKhaniKhan
    edited July 2019
    Neospector wrote: »
    Equips from drops are what you should be wearing and your damage should be fine.

If you want, however, you can use the spell trace items that drop from monsters to enhance your gear, and when all scroll slots are used up, you can use mesos to add stars.

The spell trace pieces? Where do I use them? I've collected a bunch of them.
  • NeospectorNeospector
    edited July 2019
    Open your inventory and select the red hammer icon at the bottom to open the enhancement window. The default hotkey is "O" as well, I believe.
    Then drag+drop the piece of equipment you want to enhance into the window, and select which scroll you want to use.
  • NilremNilrem
    Reactions: 1,060
    edited July 2019
    iKhan wrote: »
    The Reboot server

Spell Traces are not actually used in Reboot. You can sell them though.

You mostly just need to worry about star force, but even then it really isn't required until after level 100.
    Also remember to do the tots know how quests for free equipment through level 60.

If you can afford the mesos for Star Force, go for it. Its a huge power boost and pretty much required later on.
  • NeospectorNeospector
    edited July 2019
    Nilrem wrote: »
    The Reboot server

Spell Traces are not actually used in Reboot. You can sell them though.

Oh that's right. What am I thinking?

In that case, yeah, you can sell spell traces for 5,000 mesos each, which you can use to enhance your gear with star force.
  • iKhaniKhan
    edited July 2019
    Well I think I've solved my problem. I hit level 100. Got my frozen set. Had some Miester cubes so I got decent potentials and I upgraded them with the Star force thing.

Another question I had, back in 'the day' there used to be a slew of party quests. Where'd they all go? Ghost Ship PQ and Ludi PQ were literally the bomb.
  • iKhaniKhan
    edited July 2019
    Also it's been a while, but do I need to use a level 20 skillbook before i can use a 30 or can i just go straight for the 30?
  • AggraphineAggraphine
    Reactions: 19,415
    edited July 2019
    Party quests are dead outside of a small handful of events that make you go through them(also dragon rider in leafre for codex cards, but that's it). You need to use a level 20 skill book before level 30, yes, but the difference is with the new(to you) mastery books 20 and 30, they're universal across all your skills and there's no fail chance. No more having to hunt down the specific one you need, no more paying out the ass for maple warrior, no more having to worry if you'll pass or fail the book.
  • iKhaniKhan
    edited July 2019
    Aggraphine wrote: »
    Party quests are dead outside of a small handful of events that make you go through them(also dragon rider in leafre for codex cards, but that's it). You need to use a level 20 skill book before level 30, yes, but the difference is with the new(to you) mastery books 20 and 30, they're universal across all your skills and there's no fail chance. No more having to hunt down the specific one you need, no more paying out the ass for maple warrior, no more having to worry if you'll pass or fail the book.

Good stuff on the skill book. Sucks about the PQs though, they were always my favorite thing to do. Back when I used to play I failed the MW book like 3 times. I have no idea how much I paid for them it was so long ago but it was a bunch. I've always played as a Night Lord and IIRC they always had super expensive books.

That aside, I figure I'll keep all my 'noob' questions here:

I'm in monster park, I've done my two free clears for the day, it says 2/7. Spieglemann says I'm charged when I clear the park however when I go to the portal to go in for my third clear I'm just told I can only go again with an "Additional Entry Ticket" then the dialogue box just ends and I can't get in. Am I dumb or is this not how it's supposed to work?

Also with no PQs what do people do for fun anymore? Grind and Boss?
  • AggraphineAggraphine
    Reactions: 19,415
    edited July 2019
    You can buy extra entries with nx or reward points, there are also frequently free entry coupons in event coin shops. You get two runs per day for free, and can buy five more. Once you hit 7 you're out for the day. Also the limit is either account- or world-based, so your two free(or 7 paid) are shared across all your characters.
  • iKhaniKhan
    edited July 2019
    You can buy extra entries with nx or reward points, there are also frequently free entry coupons in event coin shops. You get two runs per day for free, and can buy five more. Once you hit 7 you're out for the day. Also the limit is either account- or world-based, so your two free(or 7 paid) are shared across all your characters.

Oh so when he says I can buy more tickets he didn't mean with mesos.

Got it. Pass.
  • FuhreakFuhreak
    Reactions: 7,440
    Member, Private Tester
    edited July 2019

Oh so when he says I can buy more tickets he didn't mean with mesos.

Got it. Pass.

On reboot you can buy them with mesos. They're found under the "Time Savers | Dungeon Passes" tab in the cash shop for 3.5m each.
  • ThrowThatTeaThrowThatTea
    Reactions: 650
    Hey there,

I played this game during it's 1st year anniversary and have come back every once i awhile, recently as of 2 months ago.
    I'm also on reboot server, so here's some important things I've learned so far that may be relevant to you:

I also started out as an original Explorer Class, Thief--just like you. Using the burning event, I just made it to level 200.

Most importantly, make sure you created your character as a burning character. If you didn't, it's worth restarting a new one.

Second note, upon reaching level 200 I realized two major setbacks of the original thief class (called a Night Lord by 4th job).
    1. The Night Lord is one of the lower ranked classes for DPS; probably somewhere around the 80th percentile.
    2. I am actually having trouble prevailing beyond this level. At level 200, you unlock the Arcana area--and even with 100+ star force and set gear I can't effectively kill anything here and die if I get hit twice without potting.

When you do create a Burning Character, you actually don't have to worry about your weapon, top, bottom, and hat as you will be given end game level gear (assuming you make it to level 200 for the Fafnir weapon).

At level 140, you unlock hyperstats (which I didn't find out about until level 200
  • FuhreakFuhreak
    Member, Private Tester
    edited July 2019
    2. I am actually having trouble prevailing beyond this level. At level 200, you unlock the Arcana area--and even with 100+ star force and set gear I can't effectively kill anything here and die if I get hit twice without potting.

Use your hyper stats to get "arcane force", it'll fix this problem.
  • iKhaniKhan
    edited July 2019
    Hey there,

I played this game during it's 1st year anniversary and have come back every once i awhile, recently as of 2 months ago.
    I'm also on reboot server, so here's some important things I've learned so far that may be relevant to you:

I also started out as an original Explorer Class, Thief--just like you. Using the burning event, I just made it to level 200.

Most importantly, make sure you created your character as a burning character. If you didn't, it's worth restarting a new one.

Second note, upon reaching level 200 I realized two major setbacks of the original thief class (called a Night Lord by 4th job).
    1. The Night Lord is one of the lower ranked classes for DPS; probably somewhere around the 80th percentile.

When you do create a Burning Character, you actually don't have to worry about your weapon, top, bottom, and hat as you will be given end game level gear (assuming you make it to level 200 for the Fafnir weapon).

At level 140, you unlock hyperstats (which I didn't find out about until level 200

Yeah I'm at 170 right now. Night Lord. DPS be darned. Should hit 200 by the weekend and I'll get my Fafnir. I'm actually thinking of going back to regular servers. Idk.

I guess my main issue I'm running into is what is there to do other than grind and boss? My favorite thing was to play PQs and Maple has felt almost like a single player game since I've been back. I've legit maybe only talked to like 4 people in game. I like my MMOs feeling like MMOs.
  • FuhreakFuhreak
    Member, Private Tester
    edited July 2019
    I guess my main issue I'm running into is what is there to do other than grind and boss? My favorite thing was to play PQs and Maple has felt almost like a single player game since I've been back. I've legit maybe only talked to like 4 people in game. I like my MMOs feeling like MMOs.

You're playing the wrong game if you want a good social community.
    Long gone are the days where Nexon shoved people into a room and forced them to work together.