[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Remove the "gender" attribute from the game

Comments

• JoTheWeirdoJoTheWeirdo
    Reactions: 1,920
    edited April 2017
    I'd like an item (maby CS?) that enabled you to change your gender.
  • ForumKousForumKous
    Reactions: 1,085
    edited April 2017
    I dont think removing the gender all together is a good idea. However, they can alter some more CS items to be gender neutral.
    JettLuvsU
  • SteamCookieSteamCookie
    Reactions: 610
    edited August 2019
    Sorry for the necro bump but I have just encountered this problem for the first time. Can't anvil a nice item over cra set. The idea that there needs to be a clearly defined male and female gender in this game is, frankly, archaic. There is no realistic down side to removing gender from clothing items. Face and hairstyles is where it gets a bit trickier, I wouldn't mind if only the clothing had the gender removed. But realistically, this change would only affect cosmetics and aesthetics anyway, so there is hardly an argument against removing gender on clothing, or altogether. The gameplay that we all know and enjoy would not be affected at all. As far as gender locked classes go... is anyone going to care if there are male angelic busters running around? I doubt it.

I don't want to argue over some political bs or morals, don't call me a "fking liberal", but let's be real: this change is purely cosmetic and would be met with open arms by many of the LGBTQ community members. The game has been heteronormative for 13+ years, can we get with the times??
  • AggraphineAggraphine
    Reactions: 19,415
    edited August 2019
    Sorry for the necro bump but I have just encountered this problem for the first time. Can't anvil a nice item over cra set. The idea that there needs to be a clearly defined male and female gender in this game is, frankly, archaic. There is no realistic down side to removing gender from clothing items. Face and hairstyles is where it gets a bit trickier, I wouldn't mind if only the clothing had the gender removed. But realistically, this change would only affect cosmetics and aesthetics anyway, so there is hardly an argument against removing gender on clothing, or altogether. The gameplay that we all know and enjoy would not be affected at all. As far as gender locked classes go... is anyone going to care if there are male angelic busters running around? I doubt it.

I don't want to argue over some political bs or morals, don't call me a "fking liberal", but let's be real: this change is purely cosmetic and would be met with open arms by many of the LGBTQ community members. The game has been heteronormative for 13+ years, can we get with the times??

This may be blunt, but that really doesn't concern me. The first order of business for this matter is to completely disregard all of the representation and alphabet-soup kerfuffle from the discussion and get down to the core basics. There is no need for the "it's <currentyear> already" arguments I've seen thrown about in other threads concerning matters revolving around character gender.

To preface, all screenshots are courtesy of this site. Moving on, now...

Underneath whatever you have equipped, be you male or female, is the exact same base sprite:
    zsAoyGa.png

The first, and really only, difference comes into play with the underclothes the character wears:
    p9sfJZS.png PzOOHnF.png

The left is male, while the right is female. This is it. This is the only thing, outside of the system flag, that differentiates a character's gender. The gender attribute could easily be removed from all items that possess it, with little, if any, ill effects to be had. At absolute worst you have people who look even worse than the utter tragedy of a character that is @MegaScience
  • ShadEightShadEight
    Reactions: 3,110
    edited August 2019
    almost forgot about this thread and Daxi's silly 'muh politics' argument
  • SteamCookieSteamCookie
    Reactions: 610
    edited August 2019
    Aggraphine wrote: »

This may be blunt, but that really doesn't concern me. The first order of business for this matter is to completely disregard all of the representation and alphabet-soup kerfuffle from the discussion and get down to the core basics. There is no need for the "it's <currentyear> already" arguments I've seen thrown about in other threads concerning matters revolving around character gender.

To preface, all screenshots are courtesy of this site. Moving on, now...

Underneath whatever you have equipped, be you male or female, is the exact same base sprite:
    zsAoyGa.png

The first, and really only, difference comes into play with the underclothes the character wears:
    p9sfJZS.png PzOOHnF.png

The left is male, while the right is female. This is it. This is the only thing, outside of the system flag, that differentiates a character's gender. The gender attribute could easily be removed from all items that possess it, with little, if any, ill effects to be had. At absolute worst you have people who look even worse than the utter tragedy of a character that is @MegaScience

...ok so we agree i guess? why did you have to quote me........?
  • FuhreakFuhreak
    Reactions: 7,440
    Member, Private Tester
    edited August 2019

Because of this line.
    The game has been heteronormative for 13+ years, can we get with the times??

Many people couldn't care less (Nexon seems to be included on this) about "getting with the times".
    This is a good game design choice in general. There's no need to slap on "Plus it makes this small percentage of people happy!"
    If anything, Nexon is less likely to include this change if they think this is the only reason people want it.
    The end result is the same. There's no need to lower the chances of it happening because you can't resist slapping politics on top of it.
    AKradian
  • AggraphineAggraphine
    Reactions: 19,415
    edited August 2019
    Yeah I don't care about the representation part of it. That aspect is wholly irrelevant. Removing the gender flag from items as a whole would open up a vast amount of possibility for fusion anvils. Want to anvil something over your cra top and bottom? Well good because you have maybe four choices for a bottom, all available in the lith harbor armor shop, and maybe like two or three choices for top. Because you can't anvil gendered onto unisex. And that's dumb as hell and needs to change.

Additionally, I'd like to remind you all that gender-separated equipment all but disappears once you hit 110; everything from then on becomes unisex.
    Fuhreak wrote: »

Because of this line.
    The game has been heteronormative for 13+ years, can we get with the times??

Because of that line, yes, and also the fact that the "for" column of people seem to think that "it's <currentyear>, get with the times" is the only substantive argument to be made. I personally don't care about who wants to cross-dress their character, nor do I care for the reasons why. If making anvils less of a pain in the ass to find top-and-bottom fodder for, as well as making all equipment fall in line, makes a subset of players happy for other reasons, then hooray for them. But they are, and should, not be the focal point of the argument.
  • YakudleYakudle
    Reactions: 2,085
    edited August 2019
    I support this suggestion because it would open a lot of options for my characters to wear cool items
    I'm against sjws doing in real life because is ruining things for many but you see that is absolutely not relevant with this suggestion