[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

reset 1 hour earlier or changed reset time?

Comments

• FennekinFennekin
    Reactions: 2,941
    Member, Private Tester
    edited November 2017
    Hawaii and certain regions in I think Arizona don't do DST either. I still think a notification would've been worth it, though. I was surprised at how many people weren't aware that UTC doesn't do DST. I know there was a PSA on reddit, but c'mon lol. We still had people that didn't know on Discord and on the forums. Even in-game.
    Neospector wrote: »
    They could make an announcement, but the announcement would only be true for players in North America, whereas the time may have not appeared to change at all from the perspective of Australia. At least, that'd be true in Melbourne or Sydney; Queensland, Western Australia, and the Northern Territory do not observe DST. And for those players in Israel, the server time changed on October 29th, whereas America's reset time didn't change until November 5th. It just gets more complicated from there.

Wouldn't be that complicated to say something like, "Hey North American players (excluding Hawaii and certain parts of Arizona)! Daylight Savings Time is happening for you, which UTC doesn't observe. So for people that are turning their clocks backward, server time will be offset by one more hour than you're used to!"

If they wanted to cater to their European audience, they could do a similar announcement when they set their clocks backwards.
  • MageOfBattlesMageOfBattles
    Reactions: 4,280
    edited November 2017
    "Hey Maplers! Just a friendly reminder for those of you who live in areas with daylight savings. The reset times will be an hour sooner for you!

Have a nice day Maplers!"

I really don't think it's that hard you all are making it out to be. I agree that it's not Nexon's job to tell us that, but it's certainly not hard to do so.
    ManiOh
  • AKradianAKradian
    Reactions: 40,310
    Member, Private Tester
    edited November 2017
    "Hey Maplers! Just a friendly reminder for those of you who live in areas with daylight savings. The reset times will be an hour sooner for you!

I really don't think it's that hard you all are making it out to be. I agree that it's not Nexon's job to tell us that, but it's certainly not hard to do so.

Except Europeans also have daylight savings time, but they moved their clocks a week earlier.
    And Australians (in some territories) moved their clocks (in the other direction) a month before.

Bottom line: this is yet another price Americans pay for Nexon's insistence on using UTC as the server time. They need to learn to be aware of the difference between their time and server time, and they need to be aware that when they move their clocks, Maple time seems to move in the other direction.
  • DarkPassengerDarkPassenger
    Reactions: 8,980
    edited November 2017
    Ill say it again, after the first 2 comments, the thread was answered. Everything else was unnecessary.
  • DarkPassengerDarkPassenger
    Reactions: 8,980
    edited November 2017
    AKradian wrote: »

Except Europeans also have daylight savings time, but they moved their clocks a week earlier.
    And Australians (in some territories) moved their clocks (in the other direction) a month before.

Bottom line: this is yet another price Americans pay for Nexon's insistence on using UTC as the server time. They need to learn to be aware of the difference between their time and server time, and they need to be aware that when they move their clocks, Maple time seems to move in the other direction.

It wasnt that big a deal to me, it was only the vanishing journey quest that expired that made me notice it. I just needed confirmation. I even pointed out that it was due to daylight savings. Like I said earlier, I hadnt been playing since september.