[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.250 - Mayple Island Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

about voice over

MamatMamat
Reactions: 520
Member, Private Tester
edited April 2017 in General Chat
why the Lucid storyline have a Voice over while the other blockbuster like black haven or heroes of maple don't have one ? I think it's cool to have voice over like the lucid storyline rather than voice over in skills like Da screaming randomly out of nowhere
Fennekin

Comments

• FennekinFennekin
    Reactions: 2,941
    Member, Private Tester
    edited April 2017
    IIRC, KMS had voice-overs for certain parts of Black Heaven. I remember Lotus, Orchid, and Gelimer at least had some voiced dialogue. I dunno why GMS didn't do their own dub. I mean, they got a VA for the cutscenes, so why couldn't they do at least the dialogue that KMS had lol.

And I actually really liked the voice-acting for Lucid. I mean, compared to the skill voice-acting and especially Neinhart's dub voice. The Zero storyline voice acting was also nice, but they only had it for like the first and last twenty-ish minutes lmao. Even Lucid only has like 15-20% of her dialogue voiced. I really wish they'd go all out with the voice-acting and voice all or most of the lines instead of just a few.
  • CatoooloooCatooolooo
    Reactions: 5,625
    edited April 2017
    Fennekin wrote: »
    IIRC, KMS had voice-overs for certain parts of Black Heaven. I remember Lotus, Orchid, and Gelimer at least had some voiced dialogue. I dunno why GMS didn't do their own dub. I mean, they got a VA for the cutscenes, so why couldn't they do at least the dialogue that KMS had lol.

And I actually really liked the voice-acting for Lucid. I mean, compared to the skill voice-acting and especially Neinhart's dub voice. The Zero storyline voice acting was also nice, but they only had it for like the first and last twenty-ish minutes lmao. Even Lucid only has like 15-20% of her dialogue voiced. I really wish they'd go all out with the voice-acting and voice all or most of the lines instead of just a few.
    the thing is VA's cost quite a lot, especially depending on the strain that the VA's are put through plus the amount of lines (including multiple readings of the same line) and amount of time. I dont think that even Nexon Kor is willing to spend that much money for an all out voiced story
  • FennekinFennekin
    Reactions: 2,941
    Member, Private Tester
    edited April 2017
    Oh, yeah now that you mention it, I remember RuneScape saying something about how voice actors are getting more expensive lol and that they had to hold off on the quest voice acting. But I never liked RuneScape's voice acting :/

I dunno how I feel about only having quests only partially voice-acted though. It felt kinda weird to have Lucid saying a non voice-acted line, then suddenly the next line is voice-acted. I wanna say an all-or-nothing approach would be better (more consistent, smooth), but goddam did I like the few parts that Lucid had voiced. She did a good job delivering her lines, and it matched the character really well. Not that I'm an expert on what "quality" voice acting is.
  • NeospectorNeospector
    Reactions: 9,760
    Volunteer Forum Moderator
    edited April 2017
    Some questlines do have voiceovers. Grand Atheneum has voiceovers for all three chapters, for example (although the third chapter is rather quiet). Zero's questline also has voiceovers for the first chapter and the last chapter for several characters; including Alpha, Beta, Will, and Pietta. The Von Leon NPCs also have voiced dialogue, Von Leon possesses the most voiced lines in Ifia's storyline.

Other questlines, such as FriendStory and Mushroom Kingdom, had voiced lines in the original Korean, but not in English, possibly due to availability of voice actors or some other reason.
  • MamatMamat
    Reactions: 520
    Member, Private Tester
    edited April 2017
    so it's like KMS have more time and effort for Va than GMS ?
  • CatoooloooCatooolooo
    Reactions: 5,625
    edited April 2017
    Mamat wrote: »
    so it's like KMS have more time and effort for Va than GMS ?
    there's that, but there are other factors, like how the Unions in NA might cause the cost o be much higher to do VA work for the english VA's than it would be to pay korean VA's. I dont know too much about the differences but I do know that whatever union that NA VA's are under, that union has been pushing for better pay and more transparency for their workers, and that there was a strike recently (by the union) to push for this.
  • JushiroNetJushiroNet
    Reactions: 6,160
    Member, Private Tester
    edited April 2017
    This may only apply to their cut-scenes but I personally would be perfectly fine with it if they simply added subtitles. No English dub needed.