[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Controversial Idea- GMS Should Have In-Game Ads

sleepyguardsleepyguard
Reactions: 665
edited September 2017 in General Chat
So, for the hell of it, I Googled Nexon's Financial Statements, and noticed something interesting/slightly disturbing that might explain why GMS gets so little attention compared to KMS/Others: throughout all of their games, at least for the 2nd quarter of 2017, the entire US market only accounts for something like 4% of their total revenue.

We talk about how much the Cash Shop must be making them, but I think it might simply not be enough to maintain the game at this point, let alone upgrade the servers to be what the game actually needs and pay the salaries of whatever employees they have. They probably need another form of income.

So, why not have tasteful in-game ads? Not the kind that get shoved in your face or force you to watch them for no rewards, but the subtle kind that blend into the background, combined with possibly the kind that allow you to optionally view them for rewards. With the ad revenue generated from these, they would have the resources necessary to actually revamp things and make the game enjoyable again.
  1. Tasteful In-game Ads to Generate Revenue?21 votes
    1. Yes, but only if they're subtle.
       5% (1 vote)
    2. Yes, anything to actually fix the friggin servers at this point.
       19% (4 votes)
    3. No, would just make things worse.
       71% (15 votes)
    4. Maybe?
       5% (1 vote)

Comments

• AznboiEAznboiE
    Reactions: 3,445
    edited September 2017
    No in-game ads. Rather website ads but for the love of god this isn't a mobile game even if it sure as heck runs like one.
  • inukiroyainukiroya
    Reactions: 880
    edited September 2017
    AznboiE wrote: »
    No in-game ads. Rather website ads but for the love of god this isn't a mobile game even if it sure as heck runs like one.

Mobile games run 10x smoother
  • pandabunniespandabunnies
    Reactions: 1,955
    edited September 2017
    No language on earth has a word for how much I hate this idea.
  • choozchooz
    Reactions: 1,815
    Member, Private Tester
    edited September 2017
    inukiroya wrote: »
    AznboiE wrote: »

Mobile games run 10x smoother

Mobile games aren't anywhere near the same, and none of them are on 13 year old frankensteined game engines
  • SorrowSorrow
    Reactions: 2,780
    Member, Private Tester
    edited September 2017
    I'm 100% against in-game ads. They can put ads on their YouTube videos if they really wanted to generate ad revenue. I wish they would sell MapleStory merchandise on their website though.
    Ryia_ArcherCatoooloooSlicedTime
  • AlbinorockAlbinorock
    Reactions: 2,205
    Member, Private Tester
    edited September 2017
    Are you trying to make this game into a mobile game?
    *waiting to boss*
    AD about shoes
    *cannot skip*
    ....i don't want to boss anymore.
  • FuschiaFuschia
    Reactions: 905
    edited September 2017
    MMORPG's are a dying genre, you can't really blame them for poor sales
  • TheHoATheHoA
    Reactions: 2,210
    edited September 2017
    The nexon launcher has self-promoting ads - they could do it there I guess?
  • pandabunniespandabunnies
    Reactions: 1,955
    edited September 2017
    Sorrow wrote: »
    I'm 100% against in-game ads. They can put ads on their YouTube videos if they really wanted to generate ad revenue. I wish they would sell MapleStory merchandise on their website though.

I would buy aaaaall the plushies! :D
  • SlicedTimeSlicedTime
    Reactions: 1,720
    edited September 2017
    Sorrow wrote: »

Ditto this. I find it bafflig that NexonEU/NA has never sold MapleStory merch, at least as far aas I know.