[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

MapleStory has stopped working Game instability

PleinairPleinair
Reactions: 1,320
edited January 2018 in Tech Support
Bug type: Functionality and General game stability

Brief bug summary: Quite often, usually several times a day the game will just freeze and a Windows message that "MapleStory has stopped working" will appear and close the session.

More details: This major functionality bug has appeared after the Illium update and has been plaguing mine and other users that I spoke to game experience on a daily basis since. Basically, at any point, on whatever character is being played, regardless of map or activity at the time, the game just every so often freezes and the above mentioned Windows Error appears "MapleStory has stopped working" which prompts Windows to shut down the game and send a bug report back to Microsoft every time.
It doesn't matter what we do in-game or where we do it, it happens supposedly at random: while bossing, while hunting monsters, while using any game UI, while logging in, when switching characters, when afk'ing, when sitting in FreeMarket with an open store, you name it.
Another thing to note is that I'm using Windows 10, but some of my friends are using other OS versions like Windows 7 and 8 and many still experience the same bug issue since the Illium update at least. I already tried the various regular suggestions for troubleshooting the issue (Running as Administrator, running in compatibility mode, repair installation and Uninstall+a fresh installation and so on). Judging from the lack of said bug issue before the Illium update, the fact that others have been experiencing it as well since, and that I did not make any changes to my OS environment and no troubleshooting solution has worked, I can only deduce that the bug is caused due to some kind of change in the game coding in the last patch that caused it to be generally unstable and prone to crashing.

Steps to reproduce: It can and often occurs randomly virtually at any possible moment when the game is running or logging in, multiple times a day, with varying times in between incidents, on any character. Just log in and wait online for extended periods of time and it will happen every once in a while each session.

Character name: PleinairHope

Character level: 219

Character job: Bishop

World name: Bera

Date and time of the incident: Every day and at varying times and occasions since the 21'st of December game update.

Comments

• Lucsean99Lucsean99
    Reactions: 1,565
    edited January 2018
    Pleinair I only encounter this when starting on Maplestory the odd occasion. Maplestory ran fine for me last night i was able to buy a new hairstyle for my Kanna since MM machine was only prepaid credit:(. Might i asked who is you internet service provider?

I'm from Canada and I have Bell bundle through my house, which has unlimited usage 50-DPS-10-UPspd
  • PleinairPleinair
    edited January 2018
    My internet Service provider is Bezeq from Israel, however the issue I described doesn't seem to be related to internet connections, it's something with the operating system crashing the game since the Nova Update several weeks back. I believe it's a bug since others told me they experience the same issue since the Nova update, but the thread I posted here under bug reports seems to have been relegated to Tech Support so whoever moved it, doesn't seem to believe it's a bug despite the fact I used the bug reporting appropriate format and explained in the post in detail why I think it's a bug and not an isolated system error.
  • xxHorntailxxxxHorntailxx
    Reactions: 1,860
    edited January 2018
    my internet was fine and then....BOOM
  • DarkPassengerDarkPassenger
    Reactions: 8,980
    edited January 2018
    You can try looking at the pinned thread called trouble shooting using msconfig in this section

Otherwise, it could be your internet. If you’re hooked up via Ethernet and the cable modem is basic or outdated, you’ll have connection issues.

I stopped getting any sort of lag and even connecting to server issues (where it took about 5-10 minutes to get into the world/ character selection and into game, now takes 1 minute to choose character and get into game) when I bought a new cable modem and WiFi router, also a new gaming laptop. Not to mention I connect/play maple via WiFi.

• PleinairPleinair
    edited January 2018
    @DarkPassenger, thank you for your reply.
    I did try troubleshooting with msconfig as instructed in the stickied thread but even with all programs turned off from there my game still experienced this "MapleStory has stopped working error every time".

I have a pretty solid internet connection with a Wifi router, and I do not experience any lag or disconnections often since I switched to a new state of the art PC, so I know this isn't an internet connection issue which I'm experiencing here.
    I do believe it is an issue with the game's coding due to all the above-stated reasons in my original post and this one, that's why I hope that Nexon could detect the cause of it and fix it eventually. I still believe it's a bug despite my thread being relocated to the Tech support section instead of the bug reporting one.
  • ArgentArgent
    Reactions: 3,090
    edited January 2018
    I have noticed a significant uptick in crashes in the last week or two. Usually starts with me disconnecting and eventually, it leads to a full crash, either by attempting to reconnect or waiting at the channel select.
    Not much has changed on my end but I suppose I look more into it. Shouldn't be the internet I'm not on wifi and haven't seen any network performance issues during these times.
  • PleinairPleinair
    edited January 2018
    Argent wrote: »
    I have noticed a significant uptick in crashes in the last week or two. Usually starts with me disconnecting and eventually, it leads to a full crash, either by attempting to reconnect or waiting at the channel select.
    Not much has changed on my end but I suppose I look more into it. Shouldn't be the internet I'm not on wifi and haven't seen any network performance issues during these times.

This sounds familiar, in fact, if I don't rush in when starting the game, and wait for even a few seconds longer in the world selection or character selection screens, when starting up my game, it would crash as well every time I start it, with the above-mentioned error, or with a runtime error sometimes instead.