[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Can't use Flames on newly acquired equipment.

GeminiaGeminia
Reactions: 2,370
edited October 2018 in Bug Reporting
LDXNrVq.png

So, for some reason, I can't use Flames on any equipment I've gotten, except for those which I've already had. I think this only started with the most recent update, though I'm unsure because I hadn't needed to Flame any equipment. I don't know if this applies to any of my other characters since I've only been playing on this one recently.

Character name: Lequara

Character level: 168

Character job: Buccaneer

World name: El Nido

Date and time of the incident: 10/7/2018, 11 AM Eastern

Comments

• NeospectorNeospector
    Reactions: 9,760
    Volunteer Forum Moderator
    edited October 2018
    What flame specifically are you using on the equipment?

Items that have a white dot in the upper-left corner of their sprite when you hover over them can only have Powerful Rebirth Flames and Eternal Rebirth Flames applied to them.
  • GeminiaGeminia
    edited October 2018
    Neospector wrote: »
    What flame specifically are you using on the equipment?

Items that have a white dot in the upper-left corner of their sprite when you hover over them can only have Powerful Rebirth Flames and Eternal Rebirth Flames applied to them.

I've tried the Level 110 and 120 Flames since they're the only ones I have on this character. But what's with that white dot restriction? I just logged in to check the equips and they do have white dots, but so do non-equipment items like Spell Traces, Occult Cubes, Chairs and literally everything else. I checked another character and all equipment I am able to Flame has clear dots. There's no in-game restriction notice I'm aware of for using Flames.
  • RexaarRexaar
    Reactions: 3,645
    edited October 2018
    Lv flames are designed only for old equipment to get bonus stats cheaply and easily (due to the cube/scroll already spent on it and without learning lv 11 accessory to make the flames, and getting powerful/eternal flame at the time in 2012 in kms was insanely hard)
    (no developer notes about this I can find discussing why flames are designed this way but I see this as an attempt to imitate the old above/below average mechanic where you get multiple copies of the equip until it has the best stat possible but with the possibility of re rolling if you have the resources)

So for brand new equipment, player would have to either buy an equipment with good bonus stats, or get multiple copies of the equipment and fuse them until they get something good.
    If the equipment is rare or extremely hard to get, then the players has to resort to using powerful/eternal flames.
  • NeospectorNeospector
    edited October 2018
    Geminia wrote: »
    I've tried the Level 110 and 120 Flames since they're the only ones I have on this character. But what's with that white dot restriction? I just logged in to check the equips and they do have white dots, but so do non-equipment items like Spell Traces, Occult Cubes, Chairs and literally everything else. I checked another character and all equipment I am able to Flame has clear dots. There's no in-game restriction notice I'm aware of for using Flames.

Clear dots can be flamed with any flame of the equip's corresponding level or higher (e.g. level 110 flames can be used on level 110 items and below). White dots mean Powerful/Eternal flames only for that item. The reason they're on other, non-equipment items probably has to do with how the inventory system is programmed, and not for any real reason.
    You can view information on item dots here.

From what I can identify and guess, here are the reasons you cannot flame the equips visible in your image:
    • I can't tell what Shining Rod that is in the first slot, but possibly an Utgard? In which case, it's level 140 and you cannot use 110/120 flames on it
    • Pensalir Cape: level 140 (too high)
    • Cross Ring: You cannot flame rings
    • Poisonic Soul Shooter: Likely a white-dot item
    • I cannot identify the earrings, so I cannot confirm the reason
    • Aquatic Letter Eye: Likely a white-dot item
    • Zakum Tree Branch: White dot
    • Blue Varuna(s): White dot
    • Casa Crow: Likely a white dot

The remaining items can be flamed (as evidenced by being in color).
    BDan
  • GeminiaGeminia
    edited October 2018
    Yeah, I knew I couldn't use the Flames on the equips that were too high and the Cross Ring, but not the others. Do clear dot items even drop? Can white dots become clear dots with Powerful/Eternal Flames? All the stuff I could Flame were older gear but had settled for the bonus stats I got on them. I only really wanted to use Flames on the Aquatic Letter Eye.
  • NeospectorNeospector
    edited October 2018
    Older gear was grandfathered in as all clear dots, so you can use any applicable flame on items that were obtained before flames were implemented.

You can obtain Powerful flames from monster collection, the legion shop, crafting, the new Daily Gift UI, and events. Eternal flames are the same (sans legion shop). Items also drop fairly commonly with powerful stats already applied, like for example I got not one but two Black Bean Marks recently which feature +5% all stat flames, without ever having to reroll.
    Ultimately, the level-based flames are meant more for low-level equips, rather than for rerolling end-game items, which renders them useless on your main character.
    BDan
  • GeminiaGeminia
    edited October 2018
    Thanks for the responses, Neospector, although I don't agree with this design choice.
  • BDanBDan
    Reactions: 885
    edited October 2018
    I was wondering about this myself. Thanks for clearing it up!
  • GeminiaGeminia
    edited October 2018
    Neospector wrote: »
    Ultimately, the level-based flames are meant more for low-level equips, rather than for rerolling end-game items, which renders them useless on your main character.

Wanted to point out that the level-based Flames don't even work on lower leveled equipment anyway, unless it was anything grandfathered in. And I used a Powerful Flame on a piece of equipment that only had a +3 Speed bonus and ended up with just a +2 Jump afterward.