[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.234 Destiny: Homecoming Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Did I go too far?

LoyalHeartTigerLoyalHeartTiger
Reactions: 1,285
Posts: 137
Member
edited November 2018 in General Chat
So, Here's how it went:

I made a friend with a newbie. He was a Burn Kaiser and I was a Burn Thunder Breaker. I was already doing the Ellina Academy theme dungeon, when I heard he wanted to defeat the mole king. I told him I already defeated him, so I helped him out throughout the dungeon. Then, when he fought the mole king, he was disappointed, regardless that I told him it was easy. Suddenly, he wanted to fight Pianus (Yes the fish in Aquarium), and to be honest, he was nagging at me that he wanted to fight Pianus.

Finally, I turned around and asked him, "Why do you all of a sudden want to fight Pianus?" His response, " I WANT A CHALLENGE." And, I was hesitant to take him. I knew where the fish was, but he was so determined and nothing was going to convince him otherwise. So, I said, "I'll lead you to him, but I won't help you fight with him." His response, "(I don't think it was exact but) Whaaa... Why not?" My response, "Because, I know I'll die." Not wavering on his choice to fight Pianus. I finally gave in. "Alright! I'll take you to him, but I will do it on my warrior. Head to Aquarius and I'll meet you there." So, I got on my warrior, but I noticed there was a time he was struggling fighting the seals.He was complaining that he could only kill 10 during the time I was preparing. This would of been the perfect time to back out, but I guess I did say, "Well, we already got this far into the game, no point turning back now." he nodded. I protected him to the cave to Pianus, and what I feared would happen.... happen... He died. I tried to revive him, but I noticed we were not at a party together for some odd reason (He was in a party with my pirate no knight). So, he wanted to go again. So, I did it. He died again, but this time I revived. Right about the time when I tried to warn him to be careful not to die again due to my revival limit. He died again. I asked, "Hey dude are you okay? Do you want me to handle him for you?" I was starting to feel concerned. He told me he wanted me to get rid of it and I did so. After that, it felt like he went very quiet like speaking to a different person.

He also talked to me less. I don't know what I did wrong or did I do anything wrong?

Comments

  • MiraMira
    Reactions: 3,210
    Posts: 459
    Member, Private Tester
    edited November 2018
    I'm... confused about this entire thread. If your friend is having issues about a bunch of pixels on his screen, he needs to reevaluate his life choices. It's a stupid boss that no one does, it's not like he died out on a Lucid run that everyone else completed ?

    I actually don't know what to say/add to this because I'm shocked this thread even exists to begin with.
    YinYangX
  • FuhreakFuhreak
    Reactions: 6,920
    Posts: 1,283
    Member, Private Tester
    edited November 2018
    Mira wrote: »
    I'm... confused about this entire thread. If your friend is having issues about a bunch of pixels on his screen, he needs to reevaluate his life choices. It's a stupid boss that no one does, it's not like he died out on a Lucid run that everyone else completed ?

    I actually don't know what to say/add to this because I'm shocked this thread even exists to begin with.

    Based on the posting styles of LoyalHeartTiger, I'd say they're young or don't have much experience with MMOs/Maplestory. (Sorry if that's wrong)
    They're just having fun with the game. Everyone does weird things at least once in their life.
    Just look at old videos of Pre-Bigbang and people talking like this isn't that rare.
    -snip-
    I don't know what I did wrong or did I do anything wrong?

    The only thing I'd say you possibly did wrong was bring old-school maple drama into the forums.
    /shrug
    YinYangXSlicedTime
  • bootlickerbootlicker
    Reactions: 1,475
    Posts: 158
    Member
    edited November 2018
    There's alive Pianus on your world? MCC cube farmers keep them dead almost all the time in Bera.
  • DeadlingDeadling
    Reactions: 730
    Posts: 88
    Member
    edited November 2018
    Doing stupid things in Maplestory for fun is all apart of this game, lol. I've had my account since Wizet still ran the US servers, before the MapleSEA split. And we did all sorts of things to die. Especially right after leveling since you couldn't go lower than 0% tnl. Go to places like perion or ludi, and jump off buildings to get enough fall dmg to be a tombstone in town. There would be people that would literally lead noobs to places like that because they wanted to go, and and they knew they were just bringing them to their doom.
    FuhreakYinYangXLoyalHeartTigerSlicedTime
  • SpuddySpuddy
    Reactions: 620
    Posts: 52
    Member
    edited November 2018
    Honestly, for new people, (really depending on their level anyway) everything is hard, you can't be the best as you join, but rather it takes time. I've wanted to do a burn on Renegades (just because you're there I think and I have absolutely no friends on Scania anymore since everyone went extinct and I'm currently walking in a graveyard of old players and broken dreams.. but eh lol.) People will learn, he's just got a mindset on things too big for his breeches I guess but a lot of us have been there. I've nagged a few of my old friends when they played just to go fight Pianus or Balrogs or what have you, when majority was level 30 ish, but all those days are over.
    LoyalHeartTiger
  • YinYangXYinYangX
    Reactions: 3,695
    Posts: 1,353
    Member, Private Tester
    edited November 2018
    I mean you warned him and he still wanted to do it. If that was a (virtual) reality slap to him that he's not strong enough and he's taking it out on you, I'd probably just stop communicating with him. If he wants to still grind with you, he'll reach out to you.
    LoyalHeartTigerSlicedTime
  • LoyalHeartTigerLoyalHeartTiger
    Reactions: 1,285
    Posts: 137
    Member
    edited November 2018
    Hmmmm.... Let me see if I can respond to everyone's reply using one thread. So, let's begin:
    Mira wrote: »
    I'm... confused about this entire thread. If your friend is having issues about a bunch of pixels on his screen, he needs to reevaluate his life choices. It's a stupid boss that no one does, it's not like he died out on a Lucid run that everyone else completed ?

    I actually don't know what to say/add to this because I'm shocked this thread even exists to begin with.

    HAHAHA! Good Ol Mira! Well, since Furheak already covered that! I'll be on my way! XD
    Fuhreak wrote: »

    The only thing I'd say you possibly did wrong was bring old-school maple drama into the forums.
    /shrug

    Well, I won't deny that. I was in complete emotion/shock. So, I could of stopped while I was ahead. XD By all means, I don't want to make rash decision (Take him off my friend list") about this either which I am drawn to. I did what he want, yet I feel like I am punished. I wanted to see someone else opinion if they dealt with something similar. It actually came out of the blue (shocked me actually).... we were just training and unexpectedly the same day.... he wants to take on this. It felt odd especially knowing that I didn't tell him. It's like he listened to someone else before coming to me with this request and totally ignored my warning which he listened to before.

    P.S: Wait... how do you know my posting style? I don't even know my posting style. XD
    bootlicker wrote: »
    There's alive Pianus on your world? MCC cube farmers keep them dead almost all the time in Bera.

    Uh yeah! I think I killed him 2 times today for the guy. He wanted to try again.
    Deadling wrote: »
    Doing stupid things in Maplestory for fun is all apart of this game, lol. I've had my account since Wizet still ran the US servers, before the MapleSEA split. And we did all sorts of things to die. Especially right after leveling since you couldn't go lower than 0% tnl. Go to places like perion or ludi, and jump off buildings to get enough fall dmg to be a tombstone in town. There would be people that would literally lead noobs to places like that because they wanted to go, and and they knew they were just bringing them to their doom.

    Yeah! But this kinda feels the reverse act going. I don't know how to say it. I wasn't purposely trying to lead him to his doom. However, treats me like I did even though I didn't give him the idea to go. Yet, I know it's all fun and games and I died plenty of times for stupid things and fun things. I mean what threw me off as when others treat it as fun. He treated it pretty seriously...
    Spuddy wrote: »
    Honestly, for new people, (really depending on their level anyway) everything is hard, you can't be the best as you join, but rather it takes time. I've wanted to do a burn on Renegades (just because you're there I think and I have absolutely no friends on Scania anymore since everyone went extinct and I'm currently walking in a graveyard of old players and broken dreams.. but eh lol.) People will learn, he's just got a mindset on things too big for his breeches I guess but a lot of us have been there. I've nagged a few of my old friends when they played just to go fight Pianus or Balrogs or what have you, when majority was level 30 ish, but all those days are over.

    Wow... actually, that's pretty true. Well, with that, make sure it is indeed your choice. I don't want to make people join Renegades unless their first decision is if they really wanted to. Never make a decision only because of someone even if it's me. Actually I heard Scania is filled with people I am sure someone there will be your friend. Yeah! I've been there to (Cough Zakum long ago). However, I don't think I ever nag my team mates. It was a neutral decision. for everyone. It was one of those die with pride moments. Yeah you're right. Those days are over XD.

    YinYangX wrote: »
    I mean you warned him and he still wanted to do it. If that was a (virtual) reality slap to him that he's not strong enough and he's taking it out on you, I'd probably just stop communicating with him. If he wants to still grind with you, he'll reach out to you.

    Well, you're right. Even though sometimes..., you're not always right. You're right on this account. I mean I guess that's the best because every time I tried to communicate back it was left with silence. Especially, I tried to propose maybe trying to tackle an elite boss. I mean... He was barely eager to fight one. :( However, I think that is indeed best.

    Well, thank you everyone! I did evaluate the data I received. I am a little bit calmer since I posted this and thought it through. It was indeed a total 180 from the previous talking with him now. If he remains not talking to me and/or remove me from the friend list, I guess I gotta move on anyway. I maybe loyal at heart, but I am also a tiger. Thanks for your help ;)
  • zoutzakjezoutzakje
    Reactions: 1,380
    Posts: 118
    Member
    edited November 2018
    Maybe he has a fragile ego? Can't admit that he was disappointed to fail, even though you warned him. Just a random thought, i could be mistaken. Hard to predict why people react the way they do, especially online.
    Don't let it stop you from taking people to bosses they can not kill though! I always enjoy bringing newbies along to certain bosses. Either to carry them or to watch them fail miserably while i take my sweet time killing it. I tell them they need the practice, which is true. Quite a few players have been more than willing to take me up on the offer of just practice, knowing they won't get the kill.
    LoyalHeartTiger
  • LoyalHeartTigerLoyalHeartTiger
    Reactions: 1,285
    Posts: 137
    Member
    edited November 2018
    zoutzakje wrote: »
    Maybe he has a fragile ego? Can't admit that he was disappointed to fail, even though you warned him. Just a random thought, i could be mistaken. Hard to predict why people react the way they do, especially online.
    Don't let it stop you from taking people to bosses they can not kill though! I always enjoy bringing newbies along to certain bosses. Either to carry them or to watch them fail miserably while i take my sweet time killing it. I tell them they need the practice, which is true. Quite a few players have been more than willing to take me up on the offer of just practice, knowing they won't get the kill.
    Well, it did throw me in a loop. Well, like you said, Hard to predict their reaction. Yeah! Totally agree with yah, and I'll try not to let it. I was afraid I killed his motivation though. Well, it's good to know. Thank you for your wisdom. ^.^
  • SpuddySpuddy
    Reactions: 620
    Posts: 52
    Member
    edited November 2018
    zoutzakje wrote: »
    Maybe he has a fragile ego? Can't admit that he was disappointed to fail, even though you warned him. Just a random thought, i could be mistaken. Hard to predict why people react the way they do, especially online.
    Don't let it stop you from taking people to bosses they can not kill though! I always enjoy bringing newbies along to certain bosses. Either to carry them or to watch them fail miserably while i take my sweet time killing it. I tell them they need the practice, which is true. Quite a few players have been more than willing to take me up on the offer of just practice, knowing they won't get the kill.
    Well, it did throw me in a loop. Well, like you said, Hard to predict their reaction. Yeah! Totally agree with yah, and I'll try not to let it. I was afraid I killed his motivation though. Well, it's good to know. Thank you for your wisdom. ^.^

    Back in the day it's kinda noted instinctively at this point, that everyone probably used to be like this.. so If I didn't know any better I'd say this dude here is a straight up brand new player possibly, just only going by "pre-reading" into some guides possibly before actually doing anything which s why I say he had big ideas for such a small level character. Although I'm also thinking that he could be try-harding a bit much anyway due to the fact hes just up-and-at-em quite immediately without actually starting small, or something like that. He might also be the "Go big and reap the rewards!" person as well.
  • FuhreakFuhreak
    Reactions: 6,920
    Posts: 1,283
    Member, Private Tester
    edited November 2018
    P.S: Wait... how do you know my posting style? I don't even know my posting style. XD
    High energy, not afraid to make long posts, doing things that most players would ignore or avoid, actually talking to people in the game...
    That's why I guessed what I did. I think just about everyone has that same high energy posting/play style as you at some point in their MMO career.
    Usually it's early on rather than later, I know it was for me.
    YinYangX
  • LoyalHeartTigerLoyalHeartTiger
    Reactions: 1,285
    Posts: 137
    Member
    edited November 2018
    Spuddy wrote: »

    Back in the day it's kinda noted instinctively at this point, that everyone probably used to be like this.. so If I didn't know any better I'd say this dude here is a straight up brand new player possibly, just only going by "pre-reading" into some guides possibly before actually doing anything which s why I say he had big ideas for such a small level character. Although I'm also thinking that he could be try-harding a bit much anyway due to the fact hes just up-and-at-em quite immediately without actually starting small, or something like that. He might also be the "Go big and reap the rewards!" person as well.

    This could be the reason why he got the name wrong when I asked him what kind of warrior he's going to be. That probably should of been my first sign, but I kinda assume people already know what they're doing when they first entered the game (at least some ways).
    Fuhreak wrote: »
    High energy, not afraid to make long posts, doing things that most players would ignore or avoid, actually talking to people in the game...
    That's why I guessed what I did. I think just about everyone has that same high energy posting/play style as you at some point in their MMO career.
    Usually it's early on rather than later, I know it was for me.

    Wow Furheak.... you'll make quite a detective. You figured out maybe... 1/3rd of me at this point. Why would anyone be afraid to make long posts? To be honest, it's like half of the fun. Since, I don't "TLDR" people.

    For Furheak Only:
    I'll be honest with you. I did have an underline reason (ulterior motive) for this post (I saw most people figured it out). Since, Chronoius (I spelled his name wrong) was gone for a while, I have no one to tell me about how to interact, respond to newer players, and/or getting to know your partner. I lacked in that subject in this game. Everyone is very knowledgeable about the game, but I see only few interact with people. Someone already asked me (privately irl), "Why didn't you just call the forum "I needed advice on a newbies issue I encountered?" and get to the point. People would obviously think you are causing drama." "That's exactly what I wanted (Heck! I wasn't lying when I wrote this under emotions XD)! I don't want it to be easy if I wanted to figure out who I could trust on this subject." I stated. So, I am still evaluating everyone thread and trying to find 3 other people I can trust in case Chrono don't come back. I can pretty much knock out anyone who thought that this thread was "Drama driven" when honestly I was asking for advice. And, I got it. :) Thank you overall! Farewell Furheak!

  • FuhreakFuhreak
    Reactions: 6,920
    Posts: 1,283
    Member, Private Tester
    edited November 2018
    -snip-
    Why would anyone be afraid to make long posts?
    -snip-
    It's just something you don't see often. The older people get the more they seem to want to rush through everything.
    This includes when they make posts or even have fun playing games.
    Thank you overall! Farewell Furheak!

    I feel like I just failed some kind of exam.

    As far as anything being drama related, honestly Maplestory could use some more drama like this.
    It's the result of players actually socializing with each other, rather than people complaining about what Nexon did "this time."

    If you somehow took my first post wrong, (I think you might have?) I was basically saying "I don't think you did anything wrong."
  • LoyalHeartTigerLoyalHeartTiger
    Reactions: 1,285
    Posts: 137
    Member
    edited November 2018
    No! I've failed.

    Hey their forum moderators! I am sure you are reading this thread (At least, I sense your presence). Please grant me one favor and move this topic to Off Discussions. I want this thread to be dead Please. Thank you so much in advance.