[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.221 Spring Blossoms Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Attracting more people to MapleStory

26002600
Reactions: 735
Posts: 93
Member
edited November 2018 in Suggestions, Feedback, and Requests
Pretty sad whoever is behind the marketing of the game is really bad...
Think about it all that money this company wastes trying to advertise MapleStory, the easiest and most effective way to go get exposure is MapleStory Swag, I've been planning to do this myself rather then waste $100+ on paying to advertise my website it's easier just to give away shirts that make people my walking bill board.

$200 in given away shirts would be cheaper in the long run in my view my thoughts is that I plan to buy shirts to advertise my website and then take them to the local Goodwill and donate them, When people go in there looking for clothes and they see a brand new shirt for like $3-5 a bit hard to pass up people who wear might not have a clue what it is but the fact that they go out in public wearing my shirt possibility that people may see the shirt and get curious to look at the site.

Talking a lot of people are gonna see the shirt yeah maybe a lot of them won't care but to me it's the cheapest way to get the site out there.

Skyfall1989

Comments

  • FuhreakFuhreak
    Reactions: 6,670
    Posts: 1,254
    Member, Private Tester
    edited November 2018
    2600 wrote: »
    Pretty sad whoever is behind the marketing of the game is really bad...
    Think about it all that money this company wastes trying to advertise MapleStory
    -snip-

    Show me an advertisement anywhere on the internet. I use adblock so I might just be not seeing anything, but I haven't ever seen Maplestory advertised anywhere.
    Now certain other MMOs... I see way too many commercials for.

    As for advertisement, they don't really "need to" they're fine with KMS being the money maker and GMS being that thing that earns them a little bit of pocket change, I think.
    Of course we as players would love to see more influx of players. Some "swag" would be nice too, I feel like MS needs more paraphernalia.
  • OccireOccire
    Reactions: 1,805
    Posts: 136
    Member, Private Tester
    edited November 2018
    Fuhreak wrote: »
    Show me an advertisement anywhere on the internet. I use adblock so I might just be not seeing anything, but I haven't ever seen Maplestory advertised anywhere.
    Now certain other MMOs... I see way too many commercials for.

    As for advertisement, they don't really "need to" they're fine with KMS being the money maker and GMS being that thing that earns them a little bit of pocket change, I think.
    Of course we as players would love to see more influx of players. Some "swag" would be nice too, I feel like MS needs more paraphernalia.

    It's most defintiely adblock, the off occasions I don't have it on, I do run into MapleStory ads (definitely targeted), like one of the sites I stream cartoons on has a rather obnoxious Black Mage background ad. Plus, they do technically advertise Maple via Nexon Launcher, but I can't imagine they attract many players from other Nexon games to Maple entirely because of the ads they push on their launcher.

    I think Maple actually has a rather decent amount of merch: plushies, mugs, notebooks, figurines, artbooks (though I'm not sure if they've ever translated them into English), it's just that they're not too widely available for us in GMS, outside of, like, special offline Maple events, like MapleFest, and giveaways on their Twitch stream, but I do remember in one of the pre-Black Mage patch streams, SavageAce mentioned they are thinking of getting a web store up and running, so that'd definitely be a big step.
  • scholar624scholar624
    Reactions: 3,105
    Posts: 314
    Member
    edited November 2018
    Perhaps we are looking at this problem the wrong way. Instead of actively encouraging bringing people to move here and meld within our Maplestory culture, we could bring a little MapleStory to them in their own casual setting?

    Throughout the past few years, we got a taste of other video games and anime cultures through crossover events in Maplestory. Afterwards, how many of you went back and either read/watched the anime or did a little research playing the original crossover game?
    What do you think of possibly having MapleStory becoming a temporary crossover event for another game?
  • 26002600
    Reactions: 735
    Posts: 93
    Member
    edited November 2018
    scholar624 wrote: »
    Perhaps we are looking at this problem the wrong way. Instead of actively encouraging bringing people to move here and meld within our Maplestory culture, we could bring a little MapleStory to them in their own casual setting?

    Throughout the past few years, we got a taste of other video games and anime cultures through crossover events in Maplestory. Afterwards, how many of you went back and either read/watched the anime or did a little research playing the original crossover game?
    What do you think of possibly having MapleStory becoming a temporary crossover event for another game?

    This may or may not come to a surprise to you, I don't watch Anime, nor am I a fan of Anime.
    Last Anime I watched was called; Hetalia: Axis Powers
  • FuhreakFuhreak
    Reactions: 6,670
    Posts: 1,254
    Member, Private Tester
    edited November 2018
    2600 wrote: »
    This may or may not come to a surprise to you, I don't watch Anime, nor am I a fan of Anime.
    Last Anime I watched was called; Hetalia: Axis Powers

    Anime culture is a big part of this style of game though. That's why we keep getting the crossovers.
    If we really want more players, word of mouth is the most powerful tool, and also the cheapest.
    Allowing players to show off their love for the game in real life is a good tool for this.

    Edit: So basically, I think paraphernalia is the better idea...
  • 26002600
    Reactions: 735
    Posts: 93
    Member
    edited December 2018
    Well here's the thing, their is a reason I will not start out in a game that has been running for years, the prices on items in this game are freaking dumb, no one who is new to the game is gonna be able to afford the prices, in some of the servers.

    This is the reason I will not play other games, not every one wants to spend real money on the game, and honestly it's sad to say this but buying mesos is a cheaper way to get stuff in-game.

    That's the problem with these games, over pricing on Virtual Items, and trust me I'm glad that I'm, the only person who feels this way I wouldn't want every game to have people like be not playing because of the over pricing of a Virtual Item, and trust me I get it the item is ''rare'' but still...

    Either way prices are soon gonna end up hitting rock bottom when the merge comes, all these people wanting to be cool getting level 200 gear well level 200 gear will soon be the price of Fafnir gear and it's a given.

    So good things come to whose who wait.