[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

What Gear should I be aiming for, and how?

DeadlingDeadling
Reactions: 730
edited November 2018 in General Chat
I am mostly in 140 armor and pieces from the boss set. My I/L just advanced to 5th job. I want to make him stronger. And I'm guessing I need those 150/160 and up armors. So what ones are the best to aim for, and how do I obtain them? If cheap I'll buy, if costing billions, I'd like to know how to get it myself if possible.

Comments

• AggraphineAggraphine
    Reactions: 19,415
    edited November 2018
    For starters you want to aim for a root abyss set for your class. That's a hat, top and bottom, and a weapon. The hat/top/bottom shouldn't be terribly expensive if you're alright with buying clean gear, but the weapons might be a little more. I can't give you any sort of ballpark on prices because they differ wildly between servers. And if you're on reboot then none of what I said past the first two sentences applies.
  • zoutzakjezoutzakje
    Reactions: 1,380
    edited November 2018
    Start with the Root Abyss set and the Superior Gollux set.
    The root abyss set can be obtained by killing CRA (chaos root abyss). They can only be killed once a week and they're rather strong, so you'll need to be carried by someone. Bottom, top and hat should be pretty cheap so you could buy them from the auction house. The weapon (Fafnir) could be more expensive depending on your class.

Gollux gear is obtained by killing gollux and collecting green coins. The superior ring and earring can be bought from the gollux store with green coins. The superior belt and pendant can only drop from the highest difficulty of gollux (called hellux). They hardly ever drop though, so even if you get carried, you might be better off buying them from the AH for a few hundred mill - 1 bill + each. You can get the money for this by selling the other rings and earrings from the gollux store that you don't need. Even solid and reinforced should still fetch a nice amount.
    Do NOT spell trace your gollux equipment. Instead use the advanced gollux scrolls from the gollux store. It will take longer, but you'll be stronger in the end.

You should also get the Sweetwater Tattoo and the Sweetwater Monocle ( Face and Eye Accessory). You can get them by doing commerci voyage daily. Make sure you have 20-40 denaro's left after you buy something in the store there, otherwise you might screw up commerci permanently. You could also buy them from AH of course. Clean I've seen them go for as low as 600 mill and as high as 1.8 bill.

After you get all this, then you can start thinking about Absolab. Most people get the Cape, Gloves, Boots and Shoulder and some folks get the hat as well, replacing the CRA one. In order to get Absolab equipment, first you'll have to do the daily quests in Scrapyard and Dark World Tree and collect diffusion cores and faint stigma stones. You will also need different types of cores and stones that only drop from the bosses Lotus and Damien. These guys are weekly bosses and are much harder than CRA. You'll definitely need to be carried (unless you have like 4-5 mill clean range at least, maybe a lot more).
    Once you get enough regular cores/stones from daily quests and enough boss cores/stones, you can exchange them in scrapyard or dark world tree towns for coins and these coins can be used to get you the absolab equipment. Price of clean absolab can range from a few hundred mill to a few bill.

Don't worry about Tyrant equipment. Most people go for Absolab, unless they already have decent Tyrant equips. Tyrant is good, but ridiculously expensive. Especially to Starforce. Absolab will serve your needs just fine.

Don't forget to scroll (trace), starforce, flame and cube every piece of equipment.

There is more things to get and think about, such as an android heart, pocket item, leafre set for the codex, but i think this should get you started.
    I play on Luna, so the prices i have listed might not correspond with prices on whatever server you play on.
    Don't be discouraged if you can't get everything you want right away. Progress in maple is slow, so take it one piece at a time.

Hope this wall of text helps a little. Good luck!
  • YinYangXYinYangX
    Reactions: 3,995
    Member, Private Tester
    edited November 2018
    Order of progress (assuming you're at Pensalir since you said 140):
    Pensalir > Empress > Chaos Root Abyss > Absolab > Arcane
    mob drops > Empress Cygnus drops > Chaos Root Abyss drops > Lotus + Damien coin exchange > Lucid + Will coin exchange.

Accessories: Gollux +Sweetwater
    Gollux boss + Commerci Voyage.
  • DeadlingDeadling
    edited November 2018
    Appreciate it! I play in broa, so some prices are nuts, like the sweetwater tattoo is out of my range atm. Not to mention are there face accessories in between for me xfer my current pots from the condensed power crystal to it? I've started the dark world tree before I advanced to 5th job. I currently have some decent potentials, epic at least that I'd like to move forward before cubing for unique. And finding my earrings hard to replace since they're 15% int, unique potential. I'm not like super rich, but I am waitin on some dmg skins to sell. Maybe if I get lucky with my auctions I can simply afford. Broa is just one of the older servers, and seems to pricey. I call 1m in gms 1k for a reason, lol.
  • HousePetHousePet
    Reactions: 1,245
    edited November 2018
    I think this info should be included inside the game somewhere. Its weird that you go from mob drop equipment to boss drop, and there is nothing to tell you what order to be doing them in.
  • ACMBlackCipherACMBlackCipher
    Reactions: 1,690
    edited November 2018
    HousePet wrote: »
    I think this info should be included inside the game somewhere. Its weird that you go from mob drop equipment to boss drop, and there is nothing to tell you what order to be doing them in.

Bosses drop gear consistently throughout the game - starting at level 50 with Zakum - and further up as you go. The information is all there if you use the maple guide at the appropriate level, or you could ask someone in-game for the current meta. Furthermore, any MMO you play will have bosses dropping top-tier gear so, this should be no surprise even for new players.

Order of progression is determined by level and by 140 you have already had the opportunity to equip necro gear (hilla), VL gear (if you did the Von Leon questline) and lower gears as well such as Zakum helmets, Zakum poisonic gear and Horntail accessories.
  • DeadlingDeadling
    edited November 2018
    And for lower levels, those types of gears are awesome. About to put my paladin to poisonic on his way to muspell or possibly a von leon weapon. Once I manage to up my mages gears a bit more, I wanna get him to break 100-200k range, my paladin to be clear. My mage just hit high 300 to 400k range last night.