[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

is MapleStory dying?

Comments

• GottaGoFastGottaGoFast
    Reactions: 200
    I literally came to this forum just to see If I should redownload this game. I honestly don't know how anyone can claim that GMS is not dying it definitely is. One of the main reasons that majority of people have quit is because of these ridiculous updates and no need for socialization/PQ. Unlike Korea, American players enjoy difficulty and showing off what they've worked for.

I started in Scania back when Zhelm , Storm Caster Gloves and Facestompers was hot stuff. I redownloaded and tried out Zero and got to 185 destroying all major bosses for my level by myself. It seems as though it's EASY now to be funded and do big damage to the point where it's basically irrelevant now. So basically you have a game where you can't show off any items with little to no socialization/partying for quest, what reason do people have to play?!? Grinding on the same mobs can only last so long lmao.
  • JonnyRobotoJonnyRoboto
    Reactions: 310
    An update for August 28, 2019 includes merging worlds into one world. So far there are 2 groups of worlds. The first group of worlds merged will now be one world called Elysium and the second group of worlds will be Aurora. The reason for this update is to help find parties and make new friends. It is a wonderful idea given the state of the game. There is no need for Nexon to tell us if the game is dying. This update shows us the state of the game.

By the way all I have is MapleStory ever since my beautiful game WonderKing was taken away another copy of MapleStory. MapleStory is all I have left. I will be sad if MapleStory is gone.
    xparasite9
  • JennnnnnnnnnJennnnnnnnnn
    Reactions: 1,065
    edited October 2019
    I don't think the game is going anywhere with the number of whales playing the game.

Though I would really like to see Nexon make the normal server more accessible to new comers. Because right now, if you are a new player and you aren't playing reboot, well... You are going to quit to moment when you hit Lv 210 because some of the necessity is still lying behind a paywall.

If they can make the normal server more accessible like reboot, I think the game might be able to make a small comeback.

I c.o.m.p.l.e.t.e.l.y. agree with you. I think the game/population will keep going downhill if that paywall continues to exist. I only got to lv 235 as an F2P bc my whale frens helped me soo much. Same with my lvl 250 F2P friends. I speak from the point of view of playing since pre bigbang/several different accounts. And i say the following only because I want what's best for this game - it'd be great GMS could last a long time but the way it's heading has me worried about its sustainability.

Look, there has been some good content/changes (ex.) events, fairybros, maplehood, blackmage, new classes that give all players a fighting chance to enhance their chars),

BUT it is not enough to outweigh the Bad changes - (ex.) recent buff freezer turned temporary caused an outrage (both f2p and p2w); along with other cons/bugs/losses from trying to upgrading char stats/dmg/everything/decay rates/temporary items.

I had several buddies who rage-quit due unannounced changes, secret nerfs.
    My buddylist never had less than 15 online/active at any given time. This year it has dropped to 3 or less (post world merge)

A lot of players see MS as a game is either going to either take up all your time or your money. And time is money. Players will burn out of either one or the other. This game needs sustainability. What goes up must come down. I don't know what Nexon's goals are for GMS, but if maplestory is to sustain... I think several things that should change.

1. Stop making temporary items (or pets!), on the realreal, most of the players like hoarding. Do away with the water of life completely. If they have a pet, then they have a pet. Stop making them work for what they already have.
    2. Remove decay rate from cubing
    3. The gap between p2w and f2p needs to be narrowed if you want More players. Whether this means you can make regular Maplehood Events... Sure, you can argue that P2W fund the game but if your'e thinking sustainability.. and new players...
    4. Bullying - nuff said. just an easy way to lose players/their friends who also play/less income generated from their p2w
    5. I don't know how to say it. Playing ms for so many years, I have a biased view but all I can say is when I try to introduce this game to my friends, they're not interested. I know Nexon tried to revamp the tutorials etc, but I can tell it is Really hard for a new player to 1) be interested 2) Stay interested due to the time/$ investment. This goes back to #1; for my friend, it's easy to lose hours on the game and come back to what feels like lost progress with temporary pet/items/buffs/coupons/decay, etc...
    6. The storyline text... i get it, it's maplestory but some storylines have walls of text that i feel like i can't really enjoy the game without reading a dissertation. the stories should be short, concise; probably bigger font; maybe have a voice actor say it if it's too long.
    7. Stop nerfing boss drops. Stop reducing drop rates of monsters without letting us know.
    8. Maybe merge AH for all non-reboot worlds - increase access to different items.

Overall, it feels like players are Doing Too Much for Too Little Gain. You put in so much money and so many hours for the Smallest changes. The thing with popular games these days is the immediate gratification/rewards. If you want to attract more players, you can't make them feel like they're being "underpaid (virtually of course)" for their time/$ spent in the game.

This is not a comprehensive list obviously. I only bring these up because hopefully the GMs will consider these for the future of MS. I don't want this game to die and i don't want friends to quit. But this is just my opinion.

@Roni777. Reboot is only 1 server. It's also pretty crowded. I agree with the fact that it's "cash eating" and "always losing" I think it's sad that it's meant for people to spend cash. Money is a real gatekeeper for new players. ESPecially if it means that the paywall keeps people from progressing - as if the first 200 levels was just the free trial...which is unsustainable
  • FuhreakFuhreak
    Reactions: 7,440
    Member, Private Tester
    edited October 2019

1. Stop making temporary items (or pets!), on the realreal, most of the players like hoarding. Do away with the water of life completely. If they have a pet, then they have a pet. Stop making them work for what they already have.
    If Nexon just changed it so that water of life was more available with RP (cheaper and unlimted) this would fix this issue imo.
    Allow Nexon to still generate some profit off this, but don't shoot people in the foot as much for not spending cash.
    2. Remove decay rate from cubing
    I think you mean crafting, not cubing? Agree on this to some degree. They could at least make the decay take several days instead of less than one.
    3. The gap between p2w and f2p needs to be narrowed if you want More players. Whether this means you can make regular Maplehood Events... Sure, you can argue that P2W fund the game but if your'e thinking sustainability.. and new players...
    Don't play reg servers so it doesn't really affect me. But P2W is always annoying so I agree.
    4. Bullying - nuff said. just an easy way to lose players/their friends who also play/less income generated from their p2w
    Bullying? You mean people being mean? Nobody can stop that. Asking Nexon to do so is just stupid.
    5. I don't know how to say it. Playing ms for so many years, I have a biased view but all I can say is when I try to introduce this game to my friends, they're not interested. I know Nexon tried to revamp the tutorials etc, but I can tell it is Really hard for a new player to 1) be interested 2) Stay interested due to the time/$ investment. This goes back to #1; for my friend, it's easy to lose hours on the game and come back to what feels like lost progress with temporary pet/items/buffs/coupons/decay, etc...
    This is mostly because MMOs aren't popular anymore. It's a mixed bag of MapleStory's fault and just culture's fault.
    6. The storyline text... i get it, it's maplestory but some storylines have walls of text that i feel like i can't really enjoy the game without reading a dissertation. the stories should be short, concise; probably bigger font; maybe have a voice actor say it if it's too long.
    non-KMS content is extremely bad about this. Beast Tamer's Storyline was a nightmare to play through.
    Most of the KMS content is short and to the point. But there's still plenty that could be condensed. Zero's Storyline for example.
    7. Stop nerfing boss drops. Stop reducing drop rates of monsters without letting us know.
    Doesn't really matter what they do imo if they aren't telling us in advance. Good or bad.
    How do I know to use a good change if they don't even tell us about it?
    8. Maybe merge AH for all non-reboot worlds - increase access to different items.
    Again, I don't play reg servers. So no comment on this one.

• AggraphineAggraphine
    Reactions: 19,415
    edited October 2019
    Fuhreak wrote: »
    Again, I don't play reg servers. So no comment on this one.

I'll answer for you, if you're fine with that.

Merging auction houses is a terrible idea. No one ever thinks about it past "I think this will make it cheaper for me to buy things I want". No one ever thinks about the innumerable listings that come from bots. As it stands, the issue of bots sticking their grubby little mitts into server economies is limited to the server they exist on. If you open up the auction house to every server universally, you're going to have bots dominating the market for every single elite boss drop(clean slates, epot scrolls, cubic blades, innocence scrolls and so on) across every world, and it won't matter what world the bots are made on.

This will do nothing but increase the rate at which bots are able to generate mesos before then turning around and selling said mesos. This will take an existing problem and make it worse; exponentially so.
    HuskyDMFuhreak