[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Are there easter eggs in Maplestory?

KipperFalconKipperFalcon
Reactions: 200
edited February 2019 in Off-Topic Discussion

Hello, the whole Maplestory community,

Some time ago, I tried to find secrets and special things throughout the game, but I never found anything.

Does anyone know about Easter eggs in the game or simply nothing exists?

Comments

• YinYangXYinYangX
    Reactions: 3,995
    Member, Private Tester
    edited February 2019
    Idk about easter eggs, but there are definitely reference to stuff. Like Korean Folk Town is composed of references to Korean Folklore (der, xd). Afterlands has a reference to the Honest Woodcutter. Red Leaf High (event) has references/easter eggs to Hermione Granger from Harry Potter and Jet Li. The first letter in each of the Heroes spell out "Maple(s)" [with Shade].
    A handful of side quests and event dialogue has a lot of references, many I can't remember off the top of my head.
  • NeospectorNeospector
    Reactions: 9,760
    Volunteer Forum Moderator
    edited February 2019
    It would depend on how you define "Easter Eggs".

There is a very small handful of secret areas and interactive objects. For example, you can actually use the outhouse in Korean Folk Town. Nothing to the extent of other games, however.

There are numerous explicit and implicit references to pop culture, including a straight-out Thanks, Obama meme in FriendStory and spoof characters of Bowser and Anna in Mushroom Kingdom. The characters in Kerning Tower are all named after gemstones and the entirety of Omega Sector is a spoof of Power Rangers.

All character classes have unique dialog in certain storylines. Specifically: Black Heaven and Tenebris. For example, in the Labyrinth of Suffering, the voice telling your character not to give up is different for each character:
    Resistance characters have Vita
    Explorers have Sugar
    And so on
    YinYangXpoler
  • TetrisSpyTetrisSpy
    Reactions: 220
    edited February 2019
    theres one easter egg i found related to resistance class
    the first time you make a character you get a quest of finding 5 children's "hide and seek game"
    you will notice during the game you will only find 4 npc children's on the entire map can you find the 5th one? XD
    by the way I already know where he is.
  • HuskyDMHuskyDM
    Reactions: 3,745
    edited February 2019
    I don't know of any easter eggs but there are plenty of references to the game itself and other media. Here are some I remember:
    The first act of Monad is pretty much a simplified Oregon Trail.
    Stellar Detectives' main characters are all non-KMS playable classes.
    The assistant during Riena Strait is called Nora the Explorer, obviously referencing Dora the Explorer, while her design and mannerisms are similar to Velma from Scooby-doo.
    Violetta's face from Mushroom Castle is kinda similar to that Yaranaika face.
    The 5 heroes: Mercedes, Aran, Phantom, Luminous and Evan spell Maple, while the explorers from the Explorer storyline: Sugar, Tess, Olive, Rondo and you (the player) spell Story.
    During Heroes of Maple when the heroes go to Seoul there is mention of the sinkhole that occurred during Kinesis's storyline.
    From the Lunar Year Video Message event a few weeks ago when Kinesis asks you if you know how to get to his hideout you can tell Kinesis you went to Shinsoo Academy, the main setting of Friendstory, after which he will give you directions.

Neospector already mentioned some of the best ones.
    YinYangXMorningAfterSeven
  • YinYangXYinYangX
    Reactions: 3,995
    Member, Private Tester
    edited February 2019
    TetrisSpy wrote: »
    the first time you make a character you get a quest of finding 5 children's "hide and seek game"
    you will notice during the game you will only find 4 npc children's on the entire map can you find the 5th one? XD

Maybe it's just going over my head, but how's this an Easter Egg? >.>
    HuskyDM wrote: »
    The 5 heroes: Mercedes, Aran, Phantom, Luminous and Evan spell Maple, while the explorers from the Explorer storyline: Sugar, Tess, Olive, Rondo and you (the player) spell Story.

Totally didn't catch the STORY acronym, though now I'm interested if there's some way the Easter Egg incorporates Shade.
  • HuskyDMHuskyDM
    Reactions: 3,745
    edited February 2019
    YinYangX wrote: »

Totally didn't catch the STORY acronym, though now I'm interested if there's some way the Easter Egg incorporates Shade.

Who is this "Shade" you talk about? Are you sure you aren't imagining it?
    (Maybe that's the reason why he isn't part of any acronym, which absolutely fits his character?)
    YinYangX
  • FuhreakFuhreak
    Reactions: 7,440
    Member, Private Tester
    edited February 2019
    Root Abyss has themes of Alice in Wonderland.

Another reference to pop culture is tower of Oz being a reference to the Wizard of Oz.
    There's a bit of a joke involved in it as well.
    In the MGM movie, which is the most widely known version, Dorthy enters Oz because of a rather foolish decision to run away.
    To enter the Tower of Oz, you have to take stupid pills.
    At least, I think this was a joke by design.
    YinYangX
  • MorningAfterSevenMorningAfterSeven
    Reactions: 1,125
    edited February 2019
    Violetta's face from Mushroom Castle is kinda similar to that Yaranaika face.

This has actually blown my mind. Wow!
  • SpiritFoxGamingSpiritFoxGaming
    Reactions: 1,535
    edited February 2019
    TetrisSpy wrote: »

I always assumed he was just dead tbh, Fun easter egg about the area they're playing in, it's a landmine field... this isn't a joke btw.
    I can't remember exactly where I heard this from, but it was over 5 years ago and it was only really proven real in KMS. iirc someone translated a piece of text that said something along the lines of "Explosive Field ahead, Keep Out" and a Gate was open where the kids went inside.
    YinYangX
  • MerphistMerphist
    Reactions: 890
    Member, Private Tester
    edited March 2019
    EasterEGG.png
    I do know there are Easter Eggs given out as compensation before. Unless I mistaken myself.
    YinYangX