[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.233 Destiny: Remastered Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Why are mounts not allowed in boss content?

ShippouShippou
Reactions: 1,570
Posts: 89
Member, Private Tester
edited May 2019 in Suggestions, Feedback, and Requests
At this point, is it even an issue?
It would be convenient to use mounts in boss content for extra mobility.

I think the only sticking point would be high altitude flight skills, but I'm having difficulty thinking of any way this could be abused with how bosses work nowadays.
It just seems kinda player hostile to offer so many cool mounts with neat skills and then lock them away from a lot of content where they could actually have use.

Comments

  • AggraphineAggraphine
    Reactions: 19,405
    Posts: 3,553
    Member
    edited May 2019
    Extra mobility is a tenuous claim at best. The only thing you could argue is giving those classes without, a flash jump. But that aside, you have to remember that there's a mount/dismount animation for them. Your "extra" mobility would never come to pass, you'd just take it to the face like a champ by the time you could even move again. Imagine if, every time you wanted to flash jump normally, your character went through a two-second-long unskippable animation. Two seconds doesn't sound like much, no. But add damien's sword/balls, lotus's lasers and balls, or hell, magnus's meatballs and suddenly two seconds is make-or-break.

    You say there would be a benefit to allowing mounts to be used inside boss fights, I argue that there would be no point to allowing mounts to be used within boss fights. I would further argue that not only would there be nil for benefit to players, but that the bosses in which there could be a benefit seen, it's ultimately pointless due to the speed with which the bosses die.
  • ShippouShippou
    Reactions: 1,570
    Posts: 89
    Member, Private Tester
    edited May 2019
    Aggraphine wrote: »
    Extra mobility is a tenuous claim at best. The only thing you could argue is giving those classes without, a flash jump. But that aside, you have to remember that there's a mount/dismount animation for them. Your "extra" mobility would never come to pass, you'd just take it to the face like a champ by the time you could even move again. Imagine if, every time you wanted to flash jump normally, your character went through a two-second-long unskippable animation. Two seconds doesn't sound like much, no. But add damien's sword/balls, lotus's lasers and balls, or hell, magnus's meatballs and suddenly two seconds is make-or-break.

    You say there would be a benefit to allowing mounts to be used inside boss fights, I argue that there would be no point to allowing mounts to be used within boss fights. I would further argue that not only would there be nil for benefit to players, but that the bosses in which there could be a benefit seen, it's ultimately pointless due to the speed with which the bosses die.

    It would benefit me. :/
    Also, it's definitely not a 2 second delay or even close to it.

    Even if it added nothing... why is it restricted?

    PS: That sounded fairly aggressive, whether you intended it to be or not.
  • AggraphineAggraphine
    Reactions: 19,405
    Posts: 3,553
    Member
    edited May 2019
    Why should an entire aspect of the game be changed to the "benefit" of one person? There may be no substantial reason for it to be restricted, but there's also no substantial reason for it to be changed. And even if it isn't two seconds, it's still a very apparent delay that would, nine times out of ten, see you eating a boss attack straight to the face. As for how my post sounded, it wasn't aggressive at all. Harsh, maybe, and even then only because I disagree with your argument, but not aggressive.
  • AKradianAKradian
    Reactions: 39,810
    Posts: 6,237
    Volunteer Forum Moderator, Private Tester
    edited May 2019
    Judging by various changes that have been recently introduced into the game, Nexon Korea hates leeching and carries. The chances of them allowing mounts in bosses, so mobility-challenged perma-beginners can survive easier while someone else kills the boss, are nil.
  • ShippouShippou
    Reactions: 1,570
    Posts: 89
    Member, Private Tester
    edited May 2019
    AKradian wrote: »
    Judging by various changes that have been recently introduced into the game, Nexon Korea hates leeching and carries. The chances of them allowing mounts in bosses, so mobility-challenged perma-beginners can survive easier while someone else kills the boss, are nil.

    And yeah, I get that, this discussion was more about WHY this is in place. I'm not sure why this restriction exists when most classes have mobility that far exceeds whatever a mount could do.
    Also, why should our version have to follow what KMS thinks at this point?
    We already make tons of departures.

    (PS, I didn't mean to make it easier to be carried. It's just nice to have the extra mobility when I'm doing what dailies I can. It already helps while questing and training.)
  • AggraphineAggraphine
    Reactions: 19,405
    Posts: 3,553
    Member
    edited May 2019
    Again, the on-off animation for mounts would eat whatever mobility advantage you think mounts would give you in a boss fight. Not only that, but every class has either a flash jump or a teleport(or a dash for mechanics), what benefit could mounts tangibly give that every class doesn't already inherently possess?
  • L4d2jpnL4d2jpn
    Reactions: 1,860
    Posts: 199
    Member, Private Tester
    edited May 2019
    Until I switched over to playing a bishop, I used Mir mount's glide/fj exactly like how I used to before they only made it accessible as a mount.

    There were some situations in which the fj was more favorable over teleport and vert jump into glide was usable as a dodge.

    Explorer mages(minus RI'd bishop) tele is at the mercy of the server stability. Kanna's dash is on a CD, the tele is even more server sided along with a massive delay.

    Then there's j.e.t.t.

    I'm for giving classes more mobility options. There's already a risk in usage through larger hitboxes, the mount/dismount time anyway.
    ShippouSlicedTime
  • OccireOccire
    Reactions: 1,935
    Posts: 140
    Member, Private Tester
    edited May 2019
    Way back when, when the Empress Cygnus boss was still being attempted and not yet killed, my group found out that if you were on a soaring mount and you got transformed into a pig, once the transformation debuff was done, you'd end up free flying, no longer mounted, letting you use skills and avoid attacks through flying. I'd assume they aim to prevent stuff like that from ever happening again.
  • PetalmagicPetalmagic
    Reactions: 7,660
    Posts: 1,572
    Member
    edited May 2019
    Occire wrote: »
    Way back when, when the Empress Cygnus boss was still being attempted and not yet killed, my group found out that if you were on a soaring mount and you got transformed into a pig, once the transformation debuff was done, you'd end up free flying, no longer mounted, letting you use skills and avoid attacks through flying. I'd assume they aim to prevent stuff like that from ever happening again.

    Yeah, exploitation, I'm sure somehow a hacker would find a way to make you invincible on a mount or something crazy like that. I remember WH having "Kishin" through a skill that ended up removed for THAT EXACT reason...exploit-freaking-tation.
  • fidgetspinnerACEfidgetspinnerACE
    Reactions: 1,465
    Posts: 103
    Member
    edited May 2019
    There has to be another use for mounts mechanically, they've been reduced to movable chairs at this point. They were a lot of fun when you were able to fly with them in non-town maps, and had potential for play. Now that potential seems wasted.

    Maybe have them break their current speed and jump cap? Or idk, be a gimmick for certain maps only reachable with a flying mount?