[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

An Open Letter to Nexon Corporation

KappaDrewKappaDrew
Reactions: 3,310
Member, Private Tester
edited November 2023 in Suggestions, Feedback, and Requests
To whom it may concern -

The Global MapleStory (GMS) Community pleads that you consider the feedback below with sincerity.

Severely alarming information has come out from the Bean Brigade GMS Tespia streams regarding the upcoming New Age update. This information casts a very ugly stain on what was set to be one of the most anticipated updates to this game in its history and has led to community outage on a scale of which has not been seen since the massive flame scandal that landed the Nexon Corporation in very hot water. As a company that prides themselves in their commitment to "Player Satisfaction is our End Game", the decisions made leading up to this point seem to be headed towards a different end game of completely losing trust and a significant amount of your Global player base.

The decisions to make major adverse adjustments to the New Age update have already been a disaster for your customers and customer facing staff with your shareholders set to face the result of the backlash. Black Friday is one of the highest grossing financial segments of the year and is currently marred with a perception of consumer fraud based on the complete lack of communication and intent around the changes, the means in which the timing of release was modified as a direct insider knowledge and impact of the changes, and the way the community had to find out about about them. As a result of the current reality, there is a rapidly growing potential to set in place long term ramifications for GMS both in quality and general service delivery.

The following is a list of grievances that need to be addressed, several of which have been unresolved for months or even years, and please bear in mind these are not all grievances the community has with the game:

## 1. Censoring your Customer/Client base's feedback and suggestions

Your Community Managers do not have sufficient information or training to properly handle their operating environment. Invest more in your customer facing staff and provide them with the appropriate information and guidance on how to properly address player feedback more effectively. More effective Community Managers fosters a better experience for the player base and leads to less confusion and vitriol when significant or questionable decisions are presented.

## 2. Sol Erda Energy Cap

Many decisions met with backlash from the community have been justified as "to keep in alignment with KMS." This system has no reason to be changed from the Korean version of the game. Placing a cap on this system completely removes the purpose and benefit of farming in games centered around farming. The proposed capped system would take roughly 630 total days of dailies and weekly bosses up to Kalos, which has a global completion rate of 0.19% in GMS Reboot for the first time clear, to complete what is currently released and does not include the HEXA Stat mechanic. Each unreleased Mastery Core takes 83 days and each unreleased origin skill takes 145 days for completion. The limitations proposed are at odds with a good player experience. There are already significant time gate mechanics in place for the Sacred/Authentic Force system that serve as a daily login and player numbers driver, so introducing more of these systems has no purpose other than to compound FOMO, fear of missing out, and further the gap between players. These metrics are very valuable to the company and stakeholders, but introducing inconsistent systems that limit player return will ultimately lead to a decline in player engagement.

## 2. The Sol Erda Booster Ticket

This is newly released information from MapleStory South East Asia server patch notes, and is a new microtransaction item. Whose goal is revenue growth through a subscription style format via the in game Sol Erda and Erda Fragment resources. This ticket is currently set up to be $30 USD per month. The function of the item is to reduce the amount of time taken to finish the currently available HEXA Matrix and HEXA stat systems by 20-25% based on current estimates. to the total cost to the player of $540 USD for just the HEXA Matrix assuming it will reduce to roughly a year and a half. Whilst this appears to be a very good way of generating money per player over the course of a number of years. This also creates a significant imbalance between the Korean distribution and Global distribution, which is not coherent with your company's previous statement of wanting to bring the different versions of the game closer in alignment with each other. If you are required to implement a microtransaction for the sake of profit you may want to consider implementing the direct purchase of Sol Erda in the “regular servers” of the game. This is how the Korean version has at the moment, at least then you have the foothold to stand on if you are aligning the regions closer to each other which has a much larger chance of being acceptable, however given the current circumstances may not be.

## 3. Frenzy Totem and other Non-KMS Items

This is a topic specific to "Regular Servers" (Reg Servers) and is integral to both the economy and upkeep of said economy of those servers. By implementing instanced maps on Reg Servers with hamstrung Frenzy Totem functionality, the Reg Server economy is likely to collapse as the game forces players out of the Arcane River zones and into Grandis. Frenzy Totems were changed in the past to stop functioning in level 300 and beyond zones over two years ago. This change effectively drops the limitation from future level 300+ to all current level 260+ Grandis Zones. Before this change, the item had an insurmountable value to the players in Mesos and also shows a lack of faith towards Items not present in KMS such as Breath of Divinity, Lucid Earrings, Battle Roids, and others. All of these items have potential and real costs in the thousands of dollars with all coming exclusively from gambling systems like the Marvel Machine. It appears that a lack of understanding between the differences between the GMS Reg Server economy and the Korean Reg Server economy has led to a potential collapse of GMS Reg Server economies. There are many players whose current plan is to move away from Reg Server options and switch to the newly announced "Hyperion" Reboot Server which will have further consequences to the economy. By keeping the current functionality of Frenzy totems and working towards a more long term solution might serve to retain players in Reg Servers.

There is a large portion of your customer base boycotting spending on your game. Addressing and reassuring your customers should be your number one priority, especially as we enter what should be a lucrative financial season. It would be very sad to see a complete toss of the 10% recovery so far in Fiscal Year 2023 and further declines into Fiscal Year 2024. I wish you the best of luck with this as I would hate to see you disappoint your shareholders further after just recovering from a 10% decline in value. I would hate to see it crash further once again, in spite of being poised to drive back towards your all time high with current updates. Would be a shame for you to throw it away with bad decisions for one of your core products such as the ones shown on the test client, and in recently announced patch notes.

As a final note, if money is an issue, there are many more options that you can explore should you want to go down that route. We as the community would be more than happy to explore those options, at this time however Nexon Corporation has lost that good faith and opportunity. Should that be something that Nexon Corporation wants to explore, reach out to the community at a later time.

Sincerely a Very concerned Mapler, and community.

Edit: Forgot to thank Panik on GMS Reboot Kronos for assisting me with organizing this write-up.
HoneydooQxygenTheface33NighstragonStormblessedRemoveSolErdaCapMrDuganKratospieChiclipseDuskGuardand 27 others.

Comments

• DuskGuardDuskGuard
    Reactions: 1,465
    edited November 2023
    This company is just abhorrent and repulsive. These slimy execs filled to the brim with greed remind me of cartoon characters with dollar signs for eyes. They'd first ruin their reputation and pulverize their playerbase before losing a dollar. Greedlord company. RIP
    EdgezKappaDrewLeoMageminiZerglingCalz
  • EdgezEdgez
    Reactions: 370
    edited November 2023
    Sad to see a gaming company trying to make its player base quit
    KappaDrewDuskGuardLeoMagesawi032QuietWithYouminiZerglingdarik
  • Wilhelm_Wilhelm_
    Reactions: 860
    edited November 2023
    Well said. These new systems have quickly turned one of the most anticipated updates into the most dreaded update, and I am confident that these changes will ultimately harm long-term engagement.
    KappaDrewsawi032miniZerglingCalzdarik
  • edsmileyfaceedsmileyface
    Reactions: 330
    edited November 2023
    Very well put, I agree with all of the above
    KappaDrewminiZerglingdarik
  • QxygenQxygen
    Reactions: 330
    edited November 2023
    Great write up of the major problems with this update! It's crazy how they keep trying make this coming update worse and worse by the day.
    KappaDrewminiZerglingdarik
  • AvalenchAvalench
    Reactions: 220
    edited November 2023
    I highly doubt this sol erda cap and booster will make any money long term. please reconsider :)
    i cannot promise i will be quitting the game,
    but i will promise with my absolute certainty, i will go out of my way to never spend a dime on Nexon's game.
    as advocate never spending to others.
    KappaDrewminiZergling
  • SnickySnicky
    Reactions: 1,385
    edited November 2023
    The OP is completly right .
    Wonki is only trying to make Reboot P2W in a sneaky way .
    He knows the majority of the playerbase isn't happy with this implented ridicilous idea he has come up with .
    Ofcourse not all wil quit but it for sure will slowly get emptier .
    This Booster is just a pay to progress in game and that is exactly what most of us not want - This is NOT what Reboot stands for .
    I just need 10 bucks to keep my silver MVP but I will not use my money to make ti work - let it die out back to bronze .
    And I know aswell that some folks keep spending because they have no life outside Maple and they just wanna make progress no matter what costs [ and they probably have the money for it ] .
    Wonki tested us with the Clover Event and I think alot did spend on it .
    But that was just a temporary .
    And he probably got the hunch in his brains that this was splendid to use later to force people to pay for get somewhere in game .
    Open a new server - what for ?
    Does he really think that it will draw new people to maple ?
    As soon they all read /hear about his badass plans they run off .
    Hope he will be smart and turns back this whole idea else I will for sure spend most of my time on my switch and rather buy games for that one .
    Since those games will be perm - the joy for maple slowly fades away
    miniZerglingKappaDrewArgentCalz
  • ZezimaZezima
    Reactions: 430
    edited November 2023
    I've uninstalled this morning. I'm not playing a game with a predatory system like the current implementation of Sol Erda. Remove the Cap, Remove the Booster and revert the nerfs.
    miniZerglingKappaDrew
  • ChaoxdriverChaoxdriver
    Reactions: 930
    edited November 2023
    100% agree with everything OP said. This attempted monetization of 6th job is disrespectful and outrageous. The playerbase will not stand for being treated like this. The game is more popular than it's been in over a decade, so stop trying to ruin one of the biggest and most hyped updates with your greed!
    miniZerglingKappaDrew
  • miniZerglingminiZergling
    Reactions: 420
    edited November 2023
    I will NOT spend a SINGLE DOLLAR on this game EVER AGAIN if these sol erda changes go through. Wonki needs to resign immediately.
    KappaDrew
  • KannaNerfOPKannaNerfOP
    Reactions: 320
    edited November 2023
    Just 1 logic:

when you sold a V4 car to the customer, you don't call it back and change it into the V3 version, hope Nexon staff can understand this.
    miniZerglingKappaDrew
  • ProjectWyvernProjectWyvern
    edited November 2023
    Very well put, thank you for writing this KappaDrew.
    To Nexon: I am never spending money on this game again and I will be quitting the game after 15+ years if the cap and nerfs are implemented.
    KappaDrew
  • ArgentArgent
    Reactions: 3,090
    edited November 2023
    Anyone who came up with or signed off on these changes needs to resign. The whole thing is insulting.
    KappaDrew
  • TheWazuTheWazu
    Reactions: 645
    edited November 2023
    These very disappointing changes made me (probably the first time ever) sign on to the official forums and not have my voice _not_ heard in reddit/discord to actually put in my two cents.
    KappaDrewdarik
  • AreYouMyMomAreYouMyMom
    Reactions: 510
    edited November 2023
    Thank you so much for putting a lot of the thoughts of the community much more eloquently than most of us are putting it. The players are rightfully upset and emotional, so having a few individuals spelling out the major details is very helpful. Thank you.
    darik
  • bhoy40bhoy40
    Reactions: 200
    edited November 2023
    Shamelessly openly taking a dump on everyone's chest when we've been hyped for the past few months
  • MandobanMandoban
    edited November 2023
    Thank you for writing this up, I feel very strongly at this point and I hope that Nexon will listen. I don't see much of a future for me in this game (one that I have played non stop for the past 3+ years) if these changes come to live servers.

The trust is damaged and even if this is not implemented I'm not sure if I can continue to support a company that uses such shady business practices.
    KappaDrew
  • rizariza
    Reactions: 3,025
    edited November 2023
    Classic-None-My-Business-Sip.gif
    KappaDrew
  • CelestiaAidCelestiaAid
    Reactions: 100
    edited November 2023
    How do you make a veteran player's progress go to waste?
  • TheBellTollsTheBellTolls
    Reactions: 430
    edited November 2023
    I fully agree with this post.