[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

The Familiar Revamp and Reboot

Comments

• GasteroGastero
    Reactions: 670
    edited April 2020
    If you don’t want to see that there are underlying reasons for the developers to add to the differences between reboot and reg server which likely played a key role in this revamp, then that’s up to you. Sometimes it’s easier to live in ignorance. The majority of players are in reboot and certainly they wouldn’t want to change that, right? It would be absurd to think that they would slowly make different quality-of-life changes in both servers just to gradually shift this difference in population. And I agree, both free-to-play and pay-to-win players will have it easy if 11 rerolls only cost 130 NX, so let’s all hope that will be the actual price tag.
  • SecureSecure
    Reactions: 200
    I share the same view as AxeChris on this upcoming familiar revamp. I'm not excited the decisions made with this update since it seems that Reboot will be missing out on numerous important familiar system utilities. It doesn't make much sense to make an exciting new revamp but lock these functionalities out from the Reboot server. Also, if the familiar drop rate remains the same, it would seriously limit the viability of using a majority of the monster familiars due to their incredibly low drop rate. I'm really hoping that Nexon can reconsider some of their decisions for the upcoming familiar revamp.
  • Tricks122Tricks122
    Reactions: 300
    I'm a casual familiar hunter and it'd be nice to get the changes AxeChris is suggesting. It seems really unfair to shaft Reboot and people who are just getting into the game/collecting, while making it incredibly tedious to work on the new system. I think the overall revamp definitely has potential to be good and healthy, but when you're going to shoot yourself in the foot like that from the start it's going to be a net loss for everyone involved.
  • SnizzeSnizze
    Reactions: 1,075
    edited April 2020
    I think my biggest gripe with the coming revamp is how negative the experience of attempting to maximize the gains from a familiar will be.

I don't mind losing out on level 7 and legendary familiars, Reboot has always had to deal with the lack of scrolls/bonus potential/etc and we're still able to conquer the content available to us. (Except Genesis Liberation quests, but that remains to be attempted/seen).

But even with our current limitations it doesn't excuse the coming ones. Farming rare familiars to only have one chance at them being useful is abysmal. Even more so that some familiars are irreplaceable in Reboot due to the various revamps to different content over the years. I'm stuck with a Crimson Guardian card that only has one chance at being useful and if the tier up to unique flops, then I'm out of luck. I get one chance for it to be useful to me outside of looks. This would put a bitter taste in any player's mouth that is attempting to use meaningful or rare familiars to find out they're absolutely useless to them and are only for show. It's even more insulting that this revamp's aim is to take the focus off only a few key monsters. This doesn't improve the diversity of which monsters will be used as familiars which is what was noted in the promotional video as a key point.

And even for the players who will be attempting to garner the best stats on their familiars that don't care about the physical looks, it doesn't get any easier to optimize. The two theorized methods of obtaining an optimized familiar through either farming epic familiars (Jr. Boogies/Fairies/Serpents) or the one "easily" obtainable unique familiar (Castle Golem) still results in one chance at a "good" familiar when obtained. This is a rotten player experience and again turns away players looking to get more invested in the game.

This wouldn't be such a bad thing either if it wasn't known that there is a method available that allows for us to reconfigure the stats on the familiar, but it's just not available to a wide portion of the player base for no declared reason. There is no mention of why the revamp is being implemented this way either. If there was a little note from Anna or any other key member of Nexon on why they're limiting Reboot this way, I feel a lot more people would be able to stomach what's coming. But there isn't.

And I do fully understand that normal servers and Reboot are fundamentally different, it's why I have no qualm with normal servers having access to presumably better lines on legendary familiars... since that falls in line with the bonus potential & scrolling difference. But I do have an issue with how horrible the experience will be for players to utilize this new content to the fullest. I understand wanting to keep a clear difference between the servers but changing how we optimize our familiars is much different from limiting how strong our familiars can be.
    ArgentTricks122JellylemonIaraMisterKrekel
  • link37890link37890
    Reactions: 1,430
    edited April 2020
    If they're going to stay on the route of keeping Reboot from not being able to have the final levels of stats (which isn't something most of us want, but some can at least see the reasoning for.) I would think they should at least make something like this:

>The following new Familiar cash items will be sold in the Cash Shop for Meso in the Reboot world only:

Blue Familiar Card: Use to reset Familiar’s Potentials based on the current Familiar Quality Rank. Familiar Quality Rank may increase at a certain chance. If Familiar’s rank increases, its Rank-Up Points will be reset. Item can be used on Common to Unique ranked Familiars.

Familiar Slot Expansion Coupon: Use to increase the maximum Familiar slot by 5, up to 2,000 slots.

We have the ability to buy upgraded slots for our inventories and even character slots in Reboot. I don’t understand why we couldn’t buy familiar slots in a similar way. Whether through Henesys shop, the new Familiar System Shop or the Cash Shop.
    And we have cubes as well; so not being able to re-roll potentials on familiars not only would be terrible for the reasons above, but also not make very much sense to restrict just Reboot.
    Again; if they insist on going this route we should at least have a compromise. If this suggestion has any glaring issues please let me know.
    DragongLordWONDERGUY
  • pat159pat159
    Reactions: 1,090
    edited April 2020
    We basically get only half of the feature, it has nothing to do about getting it for free while reg servers have to pay for stuff. First off, it's a personal choice of playing in reg server and accepting to pay real cash for items. Second, why should reboot only get half of the new content? And how exactly what happens in reboot has any effect on regular servers? We simply want the whole system in reboot just like any other player from any other server on this game. We equally deserve getting full content as much as anyone else playing GMS
  • TurtlesRockTurtlesRock
    Reactions: 1,845
    edited April 2020
    BobbyWeave wrote: »

4. Familiar drop rate should be increased.

And then they decreased it. Nexon really is clueless.
    link37890pat159MicaliciousWONDERGUYQuilava
  • MicaliciousMicalicious
    Reactions: 1,190
    edited April 2020
    BobbyWeave wrote: »

4. Familiar drop rate should be increased.

And then they decreased it. Nexon really is clueless.

Can't tell if nexon can't read or they're just out of touch. Not sure which is worse....
    WONDERGUY
  • EuropaEuropa
    Reactions: 750
    edited May 2020
    ^ gotta make em read it
  • AlexKarevAlexKarev
    Reactions: 735
    edited May 2020
    Iara wrote: »
    AKradian wrote: »
    I am sad to see how readily everyone here seems to accept that this system is paywalled in non-Reboot worlds.
    (...)

What a misguided, off-topic and selfish post,. Once again, it's the age old "normal does something, so reboot must not!" argument fueled by sunk-cost fallacies and false comparisons that shouldn't even be there.

Reboot is a different game experience to regular server. That much should be clear by now, yet people like you keep insisting on helding them to the same regard. Also, this thread is to talk about Reboot only, yet you bring the unrelated Normal Server into this.

What happens in Reboot stays in Reboot, and whatever Reboot can access to shouldn't undermine your effort in normal servers.
    I am sad to see how readily everyone here seems to accept that this system is paywalled in non-Reboot worlds.
    But there is no free in-game equivalent, or near-equivalent, to the Red Familiar Card or Familiar Breakthrough Card. Nor have we been told that they'd be available through reward shop, event shops, fairy bros, or other free means. I feel that before we can talk about making these items available to Reboot for meso, especially at Reboot's easy "conversion" rate, we need to talk about making them available to all f2p players, in whatever world they are.

What happens in Reboot is a reboot thing like I said before, and it should not be related to what happens in Normal. Reboot players being able to access a feature does not devalues it for normal players. It was your choice not to switch to Reboot or play there.

Let's not push this any longer because it has nothing to do with this thread. This thread is about reboot trying to get a full feature for collectors everywhere. Are you really just saying to all the 70 or so people here to basically "suck it up" because normal servers can't?
    As for Familiar Slot Expansion Coupons: As far as I can tell from the guide Nexon posted, 100 slots is more than enough for power-mongering purposes. Which means that the only people who truly need more than that, are the collectors. That makes the slot expansion coupon a cosmetic item. It should simply be sold for NX in Reboot.

This is just a huge spit-on-the-face for familiar collectors such as myself. Slots are necessary to continue a collection, and it would be basically pay-walling something that we previously had for free. Several familiar collectors are under stress right now trying to panic-farm as many new familiars as possible before the update comes.
    Personally, I would not be annoyed of paying NX for some extra slots, but I would also very much want a free alternative. I already have to pay tons for cosmetics in Reboot because they are always random (It's one of the few flaws in Reboot).
    Honestly its fair play. You didn't think i was ferocious when Reboot didn't have to use nx cash to buy certain items. Much like they change the overall dps range into "it's easier in Reboot","Of course it is now" Being in Normal worlds since 2005 ends with I can't just jumped shipped and leave my other 47 classes to rot. Cubing will be a challenge and i do like challenges, and while do buy a lot of cosmetics for each character with nx cash so that wouldn't change ever.