[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Thoughts on the new pic system

BostonGeorgeBostonGeorge
Reactions: 830
edited April 2020 in General Chat
I for one am for it. I think this is a nice addition to combat hackers. I just wish they changed the idle time for world choosing from 20 minutes to 5 minutes before the game closes that might help.

Comments

• HerptheDerpHerptheDerp
    Reactions: 1,200
    edited April 2020
    It changes absolutely nothing to combat hackers. The PIC system never did anything to combat hackers, it combated people stealing your account, and it is laughably easy to reset if someone gets into your email.

So it actual does absolutely nothing other than annoying the ever loving bejeebus out of me when it asks me to reset the stupid thing every time I log in.
    PIC is not 2 factor auth, it never will be, and is just an annoyance to legit players everywhere.
    Dnaman101
  • XenonFunzXenonFunz
    Reactions: 1,150
    edited April 2020
    When they added the pic system to the node NPC guy, it was very annoying at first, they added it for a reason, I believe, to prevent hackers from deleting your nodes or whatever.
    As HerptheDerp pointed out it's still kinda pointless to have it in-game because as soon as they got on your account they can easily reset the pic.

Now they've added it to the storage, and god knows what else...since I can't log on the game is so buggy.
    I can get used to the new keyboard and forcibly changing my pic to something I'll probably forget next week to the point where I have to reset and go through senseless steps to reset it.
    However, adding pic to the storage isn't just stupid...it's moronic.
    If nexon is going to add it to the storage just add it to every vendor in the game as well.
    Adding pic to storage just hinders players more than it helps us-as now everytime I want to grab something really quick or try to find something I'll have to put in my pic when I don't need to.
    I don't recall this ever being an issue for GMS so why was it ported over from KMS in the first place?

As someone who relogs on his mules quite frequently, this is a huge dissapointment for me.
    If nexon really wants to get rid of botters they should just make an account cost $5 a month for use; or even $5 to access trading functions.
    Dnaman101
  • Lucsean99Lucsean99
    Reactions: 1,565
    edited April 2020
    Honestly kids are using the google app for extra security? No one can access your Maplestory without that.
  • FuhreakFuhreak
    Reactions: 7,440
    Member, Private Tester
    edited April 2020
    I use PICs over 10 characters long. Never bothered me and never had trouble remembering them either.
    I for one couldn't care less. The new keyboard is a welcomed change.
  • JettLuvsUJettLuvsU
    Reactions: 2,526
    Member, Private Tester
    edited April 2020
    I don't like having to make a new PIC with their restrictions.
    I was annoyed at first since I really like my old PIC. But, I got over it.
    I don't like having to use my PIC when I enter storage.
    I enter my storage waaay too many times throughout the day. Entering my PIC each time is so tedious.
    XenonFunzZerosBlackDnaman101
  • SilentJudicatorSilentJudicator
    Reactions: 880
    edited April 2020
    TOTALLY agreed with the storage thing...im constantly organising and transferring between mules. Having to enter PIC everytime i change a character is bad enough, but this is ridiculous. GET RID OF IT. It serves literally NO purpose but to annoy us
    XenonFunzDnaman101
  • MicaliciousMicalicious
    Reactions: 1,190
    edited April 2020
    The PIC system if fake security. If they wanted a real system they would implement MFA like blizzard or steam have. There's no reason to validate this everytime you login, this should be done when you sign into the nexon launcher.
  • FuhreakFuhreak
    Reactions: 7,440
    Member, Private Tester
    edited April 2020
    The PIC system if fake security. If they wanted a real system they would implement MFA like blizzard or steam have. There's no reason to validate this everytime you login, this should be done when you sign into the nexon launcher.

I think the idea makes more sense as a "protection against trolling siblings" more than it does "protection against hackers".
    JettLuvsU wrote: »
    I don't like having to make a new PIC with their restrictions.
    I was annoyed at first since I really like my old PIC. But, I got over it.
    I don't like having to use my PIC when I enter storage.
    I enter my storage waaay too many times throughout the day. Entering my PIC each time is so tedious.

If they had a timer where you only had to enter your PIC in once for each XX minutes logged in, this problem would be a lot less annoying.
  • HuskyDMHuskyDM
    Reactions: 3,745
    edited April 2020
    The new keyboard is neat. Storage pic is stupid. It stops nothing and solves nothing. Doesn't help that New Gollux, the new familiars and the potential glitch all happened at the same time as this. What a way to sour the Anniversary, that's sad.
    Dnaman101