[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Maple Memo Response?

DeadDeadedDeadDeaded
Reactions: 400
edited May 2020 in General Chat
Am I the only one who thinks this memo was..... very lacking? First of all the Bebe box as compensation does not make up for all the lag, crashes, rollbacks, and just overall distasteful that this patch has been.

- No new news on when or what compensation we’ll receive for the familiar failure compensation, only that they’re looking into how much nx was spent.

-No mention of when the familiar update might be re-opened (this week? Next maintenance? Saving for next patch to be 100% bug free?). It’s been 1.5 weeks now, you’d think they would have something to say at this point except “we’re still investigating”.

-As for the familiar drop rate.. first they said they would not change the drop rate. In this memo, we read Anna say
we found that the number of Familiar cards being dropped was higher than what we had estimated when we worked on the balance for the overall Familiar system.
What this tells me is that they probably had no idea that familiars drop quite frequently for low levels and most people drop them bcus they served little to no purpose prior to the mention of the new familiar system. Even AFTER the mention of the familiar system, demand for familiars DID increase and people hunted + bought them in AH, but no one had any clue how the potential system for the familiars would work. Right here is where nexon messed up big time. Instead of changing the rank of the potential for these common low levels cards, THEY DECREASED THE DROP RATE OF ALL FAMILIARS. Honestly at this point not much from nexon surprises me, but this... I don’t know or understand why they did this. Reading this memo just made me even more confused
Also, some cards had a drop rate that didn’t match their rank, and so we decided to adjust the drop rate with our unscheduled maintenance before it severely affected the game balance.

-Finally the Gollux part. I can understand why gollux needed to be balanced in order to keep up with previous updates that we’ve had. I don’t understand how this makes sense...
So we decided to adjust the available level for Gollux with this update and I hope you understand that this was intended.

Gollux requirement is currently lv 180, and I’m not sure what “level” gollux is supposed to be now. As a higher level player, I don’t struggle too much with gollux but I can definitely understand why lower level players would have such a hard problem now. It has much more hp than expected. The new coin system for purchasing gollux equips was not mentioned at all. Needing 700 coins to get a superior item is quite a long wait time. Assuming you were to get 25 coins daily, that would take about 28 days to get to 700 coins. I think the gollux update fared much better than the familiar one, but needs a bit more tinkering.

There are probably some things I missed to cover as well, feel free to post and discuss below. Although things on maple right now are very unstable, it’s only fair to thank all Nexon employees for sticking around making sure the game is running for us to play in these coronatimes. Whether the game is doing good or bad, thanks for helping keep it running.
  1. How was the maple memo regarding familiars & Gollux?34 votes
    1. Good memo
       0% (0 votes)
    2. Bad memo
       94% (32 votes)
    3. Results
       6% (2 votes)

Comments

• PhantomErevePhantomEreve
    Reactions: 1,105
    Member, Private Tester
    edited May 2020
    Memo shows Nexon does not play their own game. How hard is it to have a GM walk around all maps testing familiar droprate before the update was even implemented? Or to just reimplement the familiar rarity for all mobs instead of using the old droprates?

Furthermore, when the droprate of lvl1-10 familiars takes hours to obtain, you know Nexon devs are incompetent, inconsiderate asses.

The Gollux level was increased to Level180 to match the Phantom Forest content. That much was fine, but the adjustment of prices was unnecessary nor reasonable.
    pat159bazzy
  • iArrowZiArrowZ
    Reactions: 1,710
    edited May 2020
    here is the ONE good thing i got from the memo.

they know what is happening

here is the ONE bad thing i got from the memo.

They are very bad at balancing the damn game.
    pat159darikbazzy
  • L4d2jpnL4d2jpn
    Reactions: 2,060
    Member, Private Tester
    edited May 2020
    Change gollux restock to match when it's actually obtainable so it looks like you guys have an idea of what you're doing. Why would sup gear restock weekly when you need 3 weeks to a month get enough coins?

Price of familiar booster packs. Talked about a lot but 7500 points per booster pack? 7500 hours per booster pack. On top of that mages need to rely on this or paying the nx for the beach medal which is the only way the medals give you matk. Having a matk reliant class completely locked out of getting matk boost is a pretty **** move.
    pat159
  • MicaliciousMicalicious
    Reactions: 1,190
    edited May 2020
    Terrible memo. It shows they don't understand their own game and will continue to make bad decisions like this that an average play could do a better job balancing the game than them.
    pat159
  • HerptheDerpHerptheDerp
    Reactions: 1,200
    edited May 2020
    Anna is a joke and has zero clue about how to actually balance the game. 2 mobs were dropping familiars like crazy and they go and nerf 99.999% of the game
    The fact that Oda Warriors still drops at a decent rate just proves they have no idea how to patch their game either.
    Anything not in KMS is a black box of duct-tape and string.
    pat159Prophetiedarikbazzy
  • HuskyDMHuskyDM
    Reactions: 3,745
    edited May 2020
    Summary of the memo: We won't change anything.

Really? People are dissatisfied with your product and loudly voicing their concerns and you are just going to say "no". That's it? Wow.
    Gollux takes 5 months of daily kills to be worth a damn? "not changing it"
    Familiars take centuries to drop one card? "not changing it"
    Is this an out of season April's Fools joke?
    darikDnaman101SlicedTime
  • AlbinorockAlbinorock
    Reactions: 2,205
    Member, Private Tester
    edited May 2020
    and i thought blizzard was bad...yikes.
  • darikdarik
    Reactions: 3,270
    edited May 2020
    DeadDeaded wrote: »
    Am I the only one who thinks this memo was..... very lacking? First of all the Bebe box as compensation does not make up for all the lag, crashes, rollbacks, and just overall distasteful that this patch has been.

- No new news on when or what compensation we’ll receive for the familiar failure compensation, only that they’re looking into how much nx was spent.

-No mention of when the familiar update might be re-opened (this week? Next maintenance? Saving for next patch to be 100% bug free?). It’s been 1.5 weeks now, you’d think they would have something to say at this point except “we’re still investigating”.

-As for the familiar drop rate.. first they said they would not change the drop rate. In this memo, we read Anna say
    we found that the number of Familiar cards being dropped was higher than what we had estimated when we worked on the balance for the overall Familiar system.
    What this tells me is that they probably had no idea that familiars drop quite frequently for low levels and most people drop them bcus they served little to no purpose prior to the mention of the new familiar system. Even AFTER the mention of the familiar system, demand for familiars DID increase and people hunted + bought them in AH, but no one had any clue how the potential system for the familiars would work. Right here is where nexon messed up big time. Instead of changing the rank of the potential for these common low levels cards, THEY DECREASED THE DROP RATE OF ALL FAMILIARS. Honestly at this point not much from nexon surprises me, but this... I don’t know or understand why they did this. Reading this memo just made me even more confused
    Also, some cards had a drop rate that didn’t match their rank, and so we decided to adjust the drop rate with our unscheduled maintenance before it severely affected the game balance.

-Finally the Gollux part. I can understand why gollux needed to be balanced in order to keep up with previous updates that we’ve had. I don’t understand how this makes sense...
    So we decided to adjust the available level for Gollux with this update and I hope you understand that this was intended.

Gollux requirement is currently lv 180, and I’m not sure what “level” gollux is supposed to be now. As a higher level player, I don’t struggle too much with gollux but I can definitely understand why lower level players would have such a hard problem now. It has much more hp than expected. The new coin system for purchasing gollux equips was not mentioned at all. Needing 700 coins to get a superior item is quite a long wait time. Assuming you were to get 25 coins daily, that would take about 28 days to get to 700 coins. I think the gollux update fared much better than the familiar one, but needs a bit more tinkering.

There are probably some things I missed to cover as well, feel free to post and discuss below. Although things on maple right now are very unstable, it’s only fair to thank all Nexon employees for sticking around making sure the game is running for us to play in these coronatimes. Whether the game is doing good or bad, thanks for helping keep it running.

You should also consider that this patch was during the corona virus situation, maybe they dont have the same resources as in a normal situation, you can blame them for making mistakes during the patchin such a difficult situation we live in.
    The problem is that the direction they are taking with the familiar system seems completelly wrong, they should nerf A BIT the drop rate of boogies, but not nerf to the ground the rest of the cards, it makes no sense. If this is how they want it to be, then this content will be another failure , just like NLC revamp, and no one will do it. It makes no sense that u need to spend hours farming such low lv familiars, the drop rate should be adjusted somewhat so that the amount of time invested in farming the card for the badges matches the difficulty of the monster or scale a bit with the lv, or something, idk the solution to be honest, but its stupid to spend hours to farm a single card.ç
    Furthermore, yes the gollux revamp is quite a mess, it takes wayy too much time to get the superior items, the amount of coins needed is way too high. Also the drop is too low, ive been doing it with 160%drop and nothing has droped from the heart that wasnt cracked or solidd, i only gont ONE reinforced item, the drop of superiors seems way too low and the coins seem way too low and time gated. Id take another look at the revamp and fix this in one way or another.

Its a shame that now low lv players or weaker players thatt were able to kill hellux before cant now, plus getting carried now by friends for ur 2nd mains is non existant, so good luck making a 2nd main these days. Time gated arcane river, time gated abso, time gated hellux items, time gated CRA items, time gated sweetwater items... what a pain of game.

I like maplestory but man, theres way too much time gated stuff, the game makes you play several characters for legion, linnk skills and such yet punished you for trying to progress with them. It makes no sense at all.
  • HuskyDMHuskyDM
    Reactions: 3,745
    edited May 2020
    darik wrote: »
    Its a shame that now low lv players or weaker players thatt were able to kill hellux before cant now, plus getting carried now by friends for ur 2nd mains is non existant, so good luck making a 2nd main these days. Time gated arcane river, time gated abso, time gated hellux items, time gated CRA items, time gated sweetwater items... what a pain of game.

I like maplestory but man, theres way too much time gated stuff, the game makes you play several characters for legion, linnk skills and such yet punished you for trying to progress with them. It makes no sense at all.

I'm interested in this part, specially because of how it is done when regarding Overseas Maple content. Maple being a Korean mmo is a grindy game, but all KMS stuff is balanced enough so it won't take either too long or be to tedious. You need a lot of time for Absolabs but you only need to beat the boss and do the quests once a week and then you can get on with your life.
    But everything Overseas takes way too much time, and its a daily grind: Shadowknight coins, Gollux, Sweetwaters, Familiars, Ranmaru equip forge, Captain Vaga (rip), Blackgate (rip), Alishan (rip). Not only that, its also way too poorly balanced compared to items their same level. Gollux is way too strong for 140 equips but Ranmaru equips despite being 150 lag behind Empress. They really need to take a hard look on how they are doing stuff because at this rate we will end up losing all the unique Overseas content, and hell maybe even risk another MS2 closure situation.
    JettLuvsUSlicedTime
  • Penguinz0Penguinz0
    Reactions: 3,220
    edited May 2020
    It's hilarious that they changed gollux in a way that's devastating to new comers while also having an event to get people from bellyed up MS2 to join MS. Newbies are losing gollux but hey, at least they're getting ducking duck. Fair trade lol
  • ProphetieProphetie
    Reactions: 915
    edited May 2020
    The memo is an insult.
    Many players considered quitting but had faith the team realized their mistake and would come up with a plan to fix it. My thoughts and prayer to them.
    "Works as intended" is how they describe several months of gameplay to purchase a single item from the familiar shop.
    Every part of the update is a net negative for Reboot except for a few hundred players and only as long as they don't change character.
    Is Reboot here to stay? Why not consider it in the update? Why not mention it in the memo?
    bazzy