[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Turn the chat channels off, now!

Comments

• AKradianAKradian
    Reactions: 40,310
    Member, Private Tester
    edited November 2016
    Modesty
    Modesty said:

My friends and I noticed that the first time you log into the freezing character for a new day (tested only from 8 AM -10 PM PST), the freezing does not occur. It only starts off again after logging off that character or going into the cash shop.
    As mentioned in a few previous posts, you can avoid gambling against the TOS by logging off the character while the game is stuttering. This will bring you to the channel selection screen. Enter your respective world to go into the character selection screen. While in that screen, wait until the spikes, stuttering, freezes or whatever you want to call it stops. After logging back in to the game, there will be no more freezing as long as you do not join a chat channel, enter the cash shop, or log off. If you do, simply do the trick again.
    Some players claims that this do not work. I believe that it does, though I have no proof. But I did notice a few things. First, the time it takes to stop stuttering in the character selection screen ranges from 2 minutes to 15 minutes.
    This seems to be affected by:
    1. Computer speed
    2. Game latency
    3. Internet speed
    On double exp events on my slowest computer, it takes ~15 minutes before stuttering stops.
    On double exp events on my fastest computer, it takes ~8 minutes before stuttering stops.
    On my fastest computer in the mornings, it takes ~2 minutes before stuttering stops.
    On my fastest computer in the evening, it takes ~5 minutes before stuttering stops.

These results are proven through testing and not through hard facts.

Also, if you want to avoid freezing on a character that currently does not have this problem, simply do not enter the cash shop. After entering once, it will also start freezing even if you never enter it again. If you must enter it to claim your Reward Points, you can simply sacrifice a character that you hardly play to do so.
    That's more-or-less what I do (except the "sacrifice a character" - I don't see how that helps since I have to switch chars to do it, and when I get back it's 50/50 whether I'll get the stutter again). But I think you'll agree that having to waste 15 minutes of 2x sitting on the char select screen waiting for the stutter to go away, is not exactly a solution.

Especially when the solution, from Nexon's side, is trivially easy: just turn the chat channel server off. Remove this functionality, that nobody asked for, until it's tested to work properly. I assure you nobody will complain.
  • ModestyModesty
    Reactions: 1,005
    edited November 2016
    AKradian
    AKradian said:

Modesty
    Modesty said:

My friends and I noticed that the first time you log into the freezing character for a new day (tested only from 8 AM -10 PM PST), the freezing does not occur. It only starts off again after logging off that character or going into the cash shop.
    As mentioned in a few previous posts, you can avoid gambling against the TOS by logging off the character while the game is stuttering. This will bring you to the channel selection screen. Enter your respective world to go into the character selection screen. While in that screen, wait until the spikes, stuttering, freezes or whatever you want to call it stops. After logging back in to the game, there will be no more freezing as long as you do not join a chat channel, enter the cash shop, or log off. If you do, simply do the trick again.
    Some players claims that this do not work. I believe that it does, though I have no proof. But I did notice a few things. First, the time it takes to stop stuttering in the character selection screen ranges from 2 minutes to 15 minutes.
    This seems to be affected by:
    1. Computer speed
    2. Game latency
    3. Internet speed
    On double exp events on my slowest computer, it takes ~15 minutes before stuttering stops.
    On double exp events on my fastest computer, it takes ~8 minutes before stuttering stops.
    On my fastest computer in the mornings, it takes ~2 minutes before stuttering stops.
    On my fastest computer in the evening, it takes ~5 minutes before stuttering stops.

These results are proven through testing and not through hard facts.

Also, if you want to avoid freezing on a character that currently does not have this problem, simply do not enter the cash shop. After entering once, it will also start freezing even if you never enter it again. If you must enter it to claim your Reward Points, you can simply sacrifice a character that you hardly play to do so.
    That's more-or-less what I do (except the "sacrifice a character" - I don't see how that helps since I have to switch chars to do it, and when I get back it's 50/50 whether I'll get the stutter again). But I think you'll agree that having to waste 15 minutes of 2x sitting on the char select screen waiting for the stutter to go away, is not exactly a solution.

Especially when the solution, from Nexon's side, is trivially easy: just turn the chat channel server off. Remove this functionality, that nobody asked for, until it's tested to work properly. I assure you nobody will complain.
    Correct. It isn't a solution, but a way to avoid gambling against TOS until NX decides to remove the useless chat channel that will ultimately be used by ad/spam bots.

Also, about the sacrifice the character thing:
    1. If main character doesn't have stutters because it never entered the cash shop since this problems started.
    2. Boss/Monster Collection Box Reward Points fills up while playing your main character.
    3. Switch to another character and enter cash shop to claim reward points.
    4. Switch back to main character without having to wait for the stuttering to time out since you never had it to being with.

CONS: Switching characters after every 10 bosses/boxes.
    PROS: No need to wait 2-15 minutes for stuttering to disappear.
  • AKradianAKradian
    Member, Private Tester
    edited November 2016
    Modesty
    Modesty said:

Correct. It isn't a solution, but a way to avoid gambling against TOS until NX decides to remove the useless chat channel that will ultimately be used by ad/spam bots.

Also, about the sacrifice the character thing:
    1. If main character doesn't have stutters because it never entered the cash shop since this problems started.
    2. Boss/Monster Collection Box Reward Points fills up while playing your main character.
    3. Switch to another character and enter cash shop to claim reward points.
    4. Switch back to main character without having to wait for the stuttering to time out since you never had it to being with.

CONS: Switching characters after every 10 bosses/boxes.
    PROS: No need to wait 2-15 minutes for stuttering to disappear.
    How many people do you know who have managed to avoid the stutters on their mains before a workaround was found?

For me, I'm using GameLauncher so "switching characters" involves completely logging out of the game.
    I can still get rid of the stutters by logging back in on the same account and waiting at character selection for the stutters to stop, but if the client crashes at logout (which it often does...) then all bets are off. Once I restart the client, it may or may not stutter, regardless of what account or character I choose.
  • LeyarooLeyaroo
    Reactions: 750
    edited November 2016
    THIS needs to be fixed next maintenance, PLEASE.
  • KeepComingBackKeepComingBack
    Reactions: 2,960
    edited November 2016
    No mention of it in the maintenance post so I doubt anything will be done.
  • JorjaxJorjax
    Reactions: 865
    edited November 2016
    http://maplestory.nexon.net/news/18308/scheduled-maintenance-november-3-2016

Maintenance for November 3th (tomorrow)

I can already assume that this lag is intentional... otherwise.. they had a full week to fixed this by simply removed the new chat thingie.
  • thekenturahthekenturah
    Reactions: 1,070
    edited November 2016
    After 10+ years of watching how Nexon works, I can say they hate having to admit making mistakes. I'm guessing this issue with be fixed, sooner or latter, but they will never admit to the problem. There seemed to have been some progress in transparency from them lately, but this issue is so blatant, we all experience it and know about it, their ignoring of it can only been construed as an effort to deceive. My guess is they are probably trying to figure out how to fix the problem so they dont have to get rid of the chat channel thing they added thereby admitting they made a mistake in adding it. Time will tell, hope they fix it soon, game is pretty much unplayable with the every 2 second lag...maybe the execs should log in and try and play their own game and see if they think we will keep logging in or NOT.
  • AKradianAKradian
    Member, Private Tester
    edited November 2016
    thekenturah

After 10+ years of watching how Nexon works, I can say they hate having to admit making mistakes. I'm guessing this issue with be fixed, sooner or latter, but they will never admit to the problem. There seemed to have been some progress in transparency from them lately, but this issue is so blatant, we all experience it and know about it, their ignoring of it can only been construed as an effort to deceive. My guess is they are probably trying to figure out how to fix the problem so they dont have to get rid of the chat channel thing they added thereby admitting they made a mistake in adding it. Time will tell, hope they fix it soon, game is pretty much unplayable with the every 2 second lag...maybe the execs should log in and try and play their own game and see if they think we will keep logging in or NOT.
    They didn't admit a mistake, but they left the chat channel server off after this maintenance.
    That's good enough for me.
    Thanks, whoever's responsible.
  • BIackbeanBIackbean
    Reactions: 3,450
    edited November 2016
    they removed chat channel -- but still never fully announced this issue.