[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

I think the new familiar system is actually great

JezJez
Reactions: 1,600
edited July 2020 in General Chat
it could use a few tweaks but overall it is a great addition
finally we are able to change familiar's names for a meso fee this has been something i have been wanting for ages
and with this system even low level familiars that used to be garbage are actually worth enough that new players or aspiring merchants can sell them to start building funds
hunting familiars before was fun, but now theres a lot more value in collecting them

c:
SavageSnow

Comments

• Wind3AngelWind3Angel
    Reactions: 400
    edited July 2020
    I think it is ok however I am not sure if hatching badge is working now(All Skills +1)
  • iArrowZiArrowZ
    Reactions: 1,710
    edited July 2020
    Wind3Angel wrote: »
    I think it is ok however I am not sure if hatching badge is working now(All Skills +1)

it works on skills that are not maxed and pre 5th job.
    so if u have 20 sp on a 20 sp job skill it does nothing,

the only class this benefits really is beast tamer cus
  • AggraphineAggraphine
    Reactions: 19,415
    edited July 2020
    I'd prefer a return to the familiar buff lasting five or six minutes or however long it lasted pre-overhaul. Having a buff constantly refreshing every ten seconds is really playing hell with things, dropping inputs constantly and just completely missing things.
  • Wind3AngelWind3Angel
    Reactions: 400
    edited August 2020
    iArrowZ wrote: »
    Wind3Angel wrote: »

it works on skills that are not maxed and pre 5th job.
    so if u have 20 sp on a 20 sp job skill it does nothing,

the only class this benefits really is beast tamer cus

It is not currently working, Wind Archer ( 1st skill - Breeze Arrow (19/20), 2nd Skill - Gust Shot (19/20), 3rd Skill - Sentient Arrow(14/15))
  • yukimoriyukimori
    Reactions: 1,155
    edited August 2020
    thi new system is aweful and complecated.
    an they also deleted all of the familiars we had before the change which sucks, ive been playing the game for over 15 years and all my familiars i had colleted are gone, ome of them were super rare.

plus u could change the familiar names in the old system too >_>
  • AggraphineAggraphine
    Reactions: 19,415
    edited August 2020
    yukimori wrote: »
    thi new system is aweful and complecated.
    an they also deleted all of the familiars we had before the change which sucks, ive been playing the game for over 15 years and all my familiars i had colleted are gone, ome of them were super rare.

plus u could change the familiar names in the old system too >_>

Nothing was deleted at all. If you had it added to the former collection list then you kept the effect that particular familiar used to give. If you didn't have it added, it was given random, unrevealed stats. Nothing was deleted. You can still change names, just it costs mesos now.
  • StarryKnightStarryKnight
    Reactions: 1,935
    edited August 2020
    Aggraphine wrote: »
    Nothing was deleted at all. If you had it added to the former collection list then you kept the effect that particular familiar used to give.
    Not entirely accurate. I used to farm with my Arkanna using an Eye of Time, and when this new familiar system hit, it was gone.

---
    Regarding the new familiar system, after dealing with it for a while now, I can say there at least a couple issues.

1. There are too many possible values for potentials, far too many useless or trash pots, and the rates of pots are weighted unfairly, I've opened close to 1k familiars thus far, and while I have seen certain potentials 25-50 times, there are others I have never seen. There is a complete lack of transparency between nexon and players about familiar potentials, how rare the good ones are, how many possible potentials there are, etc.

2. The tier up rates are ridiculous and come across as a cash grab. There are people who have used hundreds to thousands of red cubes on their unique familiars and not gotten a tier up to legendary.

These seem to be the main ones, but there are a lot of other ones (boss cards are too low a drop rate, farming enough cards to get decent potentials on reboot will take hundreds of hours of farming on maps that give no exp or meso, there are no red cards in reboot making it essentially impossible to reach legendary rank on a familiar, its not clear on how to get certain familiars such as those should be available via pq'ing but arent, etc etc)

So far, this system is an unmitigated failure for anyone who didn't exploit the system prior to it being "fixed". Like with many things, people who took advantage of the system when it was possible reap the rewards and have a significant advantage over other players, a boon that seems is unlikely to be overcome in the foreseeable future.

Honestly, I think it was better to have specific familiars with specific special attributes and an associated rarity of that drop based on its power. Right now I fear the new familiar system will just introduce more power creep into the game.
  • FafnirEqualityFafnirEquality
    Reactions: 590
    edited August 2020
    I like the ideas of the new system, and I think it has a lot of potential if the kinks are ever worked out. I'm not holding my breath for that though.