[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

[Reboot] Hero Weapon: 1H or 2H Axe?

VirconaVircona
Reactions: 745
edited September 2020 in General Chat
I know this has been discussed quite a bit before, but I'm returning to the game after several years and haven't been able to find a firm answer for the current game state, with regard to changes made since I last played. (I'm wondering also for reboot, by the way, which wasn't out when I last played.)

It seems to me that axe > sword always with regard to DPM due to the 5% damage buff. If that's the case, it's just a matter of choosing a 1H or 2H axe. Some discussion I've seen seems to indicate that a 1H axe is ultimately better in the very end-game (hitting the damage cap) due to more attacks per minute, and often before the damage cap since you can star-force a shield with it. The only thing I've seen to the contrary is that a 2H axe and a medallion may be better in the mid-game, before you star-force a shield to a reasonable strength, due to some multiplier Heroes get on 2H weapons.

Is the above correct, such that a 1H axe with a strong enough shield is mathematically more DPM than a 2H axe at late stages of the game in the reboot server, even before hitting damage cap?

Thanks!

Comments

• Penguinz0Penguinz0
    Reactions: 3,220
    edited September 2020
    Nah, son. Use 2H sword called Liberated Kaiserium and save yourself trouble. It so much easier to obtain than grinding your @ss to dust till you get 240 droplets to make yourself arcane weapon.
  • RexaarRexaar
    Reactions: 3,645
    edited September 2020
    Technical details (as simple as it could be in less space)
    2H weapon is 1.1077x stronger than a 1H weapon.

1-H weapon is faster than 2-H weapon by 4.54% with Raging Blow with just booster.
    +1 additional attack speed from anything, 1-H weapon is faster than 2-H weapon by 10% with Enraged Raging Blow.
    +2 additional attack speed from anything, 1-H weapon is faster than 2-H weapon by 11.11% with Enraged Raging Blow.
    +3 additional attack speed from anything, 1-H weapon is faster than 2-H weapon by 5.88% with Enraged Raging Blow.
    +4 additional attack speed from anything (party attack speed buff required), 1-H weapon is faster than 2-H weapon by 0% with Enraged Raging Blow.
    Monster Park Green potion usually required for 1-H weapon to benefit from +2/3 additional attack speed when soloing, 2-handed weapon usually require it when you have +3 additional attack speed when soloing

Due to how casting delay of skills are calculated (rounded up to multiples of 30ms), 1-H weapon get screwed over at +3 additional speed.

You only go 1-H if you don't want to feel the regret of "if only I was using a 1-H I would have dodged that fatal attack that costed me the solo run" or if you like shields.

It is unlikely you will ever hit the damage cap in Reboot as Nexon is trying to make every hard boss soloable by every classes by increasing the lines for every classes.
  • VirconaVircona
    Reactions: 745
    edited September 2020
    Penguinz0 wrote: »
    Nah, son. Use 2H sword called Liberated Kaiserium and save yourself trouble. It so much easier to obtain than grinding your @ss to dust till you get 240 droplets to make yourself arcane weapon.

I wasn't aware that was a weapon. Pretty wild. Thanks!

Rexaar wrote: »
    Technical details (as simple as it could be in less space)
    2H weapon is 1.1077x stronger than a 1H weapon.

1-H weapon is faster than 2-H weapon by 4.54% with Raging Blow with just booster.
    +1 additional attack speed from anything, 1-H weapon is faster than 2-H weapon by 10% with Enraged Raging Blow.
    +2 additional attack speed from anything, 1-H weapon is faster than 2-H weapon by 11.11% with Enraged Raging Blow.
    +3 additional attack speed from anything, 1-H weapon is faster than 2-H weapon by 5.88% with Enraged Raging Blow.
    +4 additional attack speed from anything (party attack speed buff required), 1-H weapon is faster than 2-H weapon by 0% with Enraged Raging Blow.
    Monster Park Green potion usually required for 1-H weapon to benefit from +2/3 additional attack speed when soloing, 2-handed weapon usually require it when you have +3 additional attack speed when soloing

Due to how casting delay of skills are calculated (rounded up to multiples of 30ms), 1-H weapon get screwed over at +3 additional speed.

You only go 1-H if you don't want to feel the regret of "if only I was using a 1-H I would have dodged that fatal attack that costed me the solo run" or if you like shields.

It is unlikely you will ever hit the damage cap in Reboot as Nexon is trying to make every hard boss soloable by every classes by increasing the lines for every classes.

Thanks! That's the kind of math I was looking for, but didn't have a reference (is this from a website, and if so, where?).

So if I'm getting you, with all else equal, 2H is always more damage than 1H (unless crazy enough gear comes out to hit the damage cap), but 1H has better responsiveness due to casting animations and so might make dodging and such a little easier. If that's right, that gives me what I needed to go off of. Thanks for the help!