[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Does anyone even read the NPC chat?

MawgMawg
Reactions: 1,350
edited August 2020 in General Chat
For over a decade now, longer in fact, whenever I chat to an NPC, I just click though without reading, At the end of it, I press Q and find out which monsters I have to kill (unless there is an arrow showing me where to go).

I realise that someone at Nexon is putting a lot of effort into the scripts, and fell almost bad , like when I am in a restaurant and ask to add some spice to a dish that chef carefully designed, but ...

So does anyone else bother to read the NPC chat, even on new content, or do just blast through it to get down to killing monsters & levelling up? Just curious
  1. Do you read NPC conversations, or just click through & kill monsters?15 votes
    1. I read every word (even though I have done the quest before)
       20% (3 votes)
    2. I only read chat on new quests
       60% (9 votes)
    3. Chat? I just want to kill (and level up) F5
       20% (3 votes)

Comments

• AggraphineAggraphine
    Reactions: 19,415
    edited August 2020
    I'll read through it the first time through, subsequent characters I hold down npc chat and blast through.
    Mawg
  • yukimoriyukimori
    Reactions: 1,155
    edited August 2020
    well global nexon only translates the original korean script so its the korean nexon who work rly hard on those XD
    i read only on new quests or those that ive never done before.. as a player who been playing for 15 years i roughly remember the content that didnt change. but i do read for new or changed content BECUZ THE STORY IS INTERESING
  • ArlongArlong
    Reactions: 4,645
    edited August 2020
    translation is still a difficult task. also I'm pretty sure there is some creative liberty the localization teams can put in. some of the dialogue is funny
  • MawgMawg
    edited August 2020
    yukimori wrote: »
    been playing for 15 years
    Me too F2
    yukimori wrote: »
    BECUZ THE STORY IS INTERESING
    I honestly can't remember if it ever was. I think I read, in case, like interactive fiction, there were clues. But, maybe after the 3 month
    s it took me to reach level 30 (remember those happy days) I realized that there was nothing to read, except the summary, which I could get from the Q button : "go to X and kill Y of Z" - that has always been the essence of Maple for me
  • GlirotusGlirotus
    Reactions: 1,520
    Member, Private Tester
    edited August 2020
    I read it once, but if I do the same quest on another character, then I try to speed through the dialog for that character. (Pressing space or click on box to bring up "next")

I like the story-line of KFT's main quest-line but it does get quite tedious doing it on multiple characters. (=

My vote goes to "I only read chat on new quests"
    Mawg
  • SherriSherri
    Reactions: 3,375
    edited September 2020
    depends if the dialogue is different, ik that some are dependent on what class your character is
  • MawgMawg
    edited October 2020
    OP here. I whizz through *all** NOC chat, then hit Q to see how many of what I need to kill.

That has tripped me up less than a handful of times in 15 years and, when it does, I Google.

Reading is not killing is not levelling ! Simples