[New Users] Please note that all new users need to be approved before posting. This process can take up to 24 hours. Thank you for your patience.
Check out the v.249 - Minar Picnic Patch Notes here!
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the Forums Code of Conduct: https://forums.maplestory.nexon.net/discussion/29556/code-of-conducts

Add SKIP button

AAALLLYYYXXXAAALLLYYYXXX
Reactions: 380
I am begging you, please, add a SKIP button for cutscenes and dialogues.
Quests like Black Heaven, Reverse City, Explorers gold emblem etc taking twice the time
Because we are forced to watch through the entire thing.
I am sure there are people who find it interesting, but I personally and lots of others find it irritating.
A SKIP button, which is optional, is the best solution IMO.
Thanks!
YacyTurtlesRockAstriapepeSlicedTimetylerthebest

Comments

• AstriaAstria
    Reactions: 910
    edited October 2020
    I agree with above that the "skip" option should be universally available for all cut-scenes. I observed that some parts of the game has such function, but missing in the others.

Along the line of giving option for players to whether engage with the dialogues or not, I think when decisions between "accept" or "refuse" are required, response should only be passed by pressing "enter" or "mouse-click" (i.e., not responding to "npc interact" key-press). This is to prevent players from accidentally responding with "refuse", which causing them to have to start over the entire conversion. Another solution would be to have the accept/refuse dialogue be separated on their own (i.e., an individual light-bulb dialogue).
  • AKradianAKradian
    Reactions: 40,310
    Member, Private Tester
    edited October 2020
    I like stories.
    But I hate boss fights.
    So I think Nexon should add a "skip" button to boss fights and just give me the rewards without me having to go through the unpleasant part.
    What do you say?
  • TurtlesRockTurtlesRock
    Reactions: 1,845
    edited October 2020
    AKradian wrote: »
    I like stories.
    But I hate boss fights.
    So I think Nexon should add a "skip" button to boss fights and just give me the rewards without me having to go through the unpleasant part.
    What do you say?

Uhm. Ok.

Anyway, yeah add a skip button the stories are painfully long and boring.
    ShadEight
  • AggraphineAggraphine
    Reactions: 19,415
    edited October 2020
    I like stories.
    But I hate boss fights.
    What do you say?

Uhm. Ok.

Uhm. Ok.

Anyway, yeah add a skip button the boss fights are painfully long and boring.
  • pepepepe
    Reactions: 2,125
    edited October 2020
    I like stories.
    But I hate boss fights.
    What do you say?

just don't post here anymore and go back to discord
  • AggraphineAggraphine
    edited October 2020
    pepe wrote: »
    I like stories.
    But I hate boss fights.
    What do you say?

just don't post here anymore and go back to discord

Hey it's okay man, someday you'll be able to handle those pesky "people who don't agree with me" in a more appropriate manner than "stop posting you're a doodiehead"
  • ShadEightShadEight
    Reactions: 3,110
    edited October 2020
    I like stories.
    But I hate boss fights.
    What do you say?

Cringe....

Aggraphine wrote: »
    I like stories.
    But I hate boss fights.
    What do you say?

Uhm. Ok.

Uhm. Ok.

Cringe....
  • AggraphineAggraphine
    edited October 2020
    ShadEight wrote: »
    I like stories.
    But I hate boss fights.
    What do you say?

Cringe....

I like stories.
    But I hate boss fights.
    What do you say?

Uhm. Ok.

Uhm. Ok.

Cringe....

Hey look at me I posted cringe because I have nothing constructive to say lolololololololol
  • Violent2Violent2
    Reactions: 225
    edited October 2020
    oops double post
  • Violent2Violent2
    edited October 2020
    ShadEight wrote: »
    I like stories.
    But I hate boss fights.
    What do you say?

Cringe....

I like stories.
    But I hate boss fights.
    What do you say?

Uhm. Ok.

Uhm. Ok.

Cringe....

Hey look at me I posted cringe because I have nothing constructive to say lolololololololol

Is npc dialogue REALLY comparable to the actual mmo and rpg aspect of the gameplay to you two?? Are those passive-aggressive remarks really necessary for someone suggesting something a lot of people have brought up in the past? Answer the 1st question the 2nd one is rhetorical.
  • AKradianAKradian
    Reactions: 40,310
    Member, Private Tester
    edited October 2020
    Violent2 wrote: »
    Is npc dialogue REALLY comparable to the actual mmo and rpg aspect of the gameplay to you two?? Are those passive-aggressive remarks really necessary for someone suggesting something a lot of people have brought up in the past? Answer the 1st question the 2nd one is rhetorical.

NPC dialog is the RPG aspect of the game. It's the story.
  • Penguinz0Penguinz0
    Reactions: 3,220
    edited October 2020

Agreed that dialog and stories are part of RPG, but there definitely needs to be an option to skip stories if you've already went through them. There's reason why mods like Start Another Life are some of the most popular mods in Skyrim. People don't want to go through the same long story they already passed through. They already made Damien and Lotus prequest shared through the world, so why not do the same for other boring, repetitive $hit like Explorer Emblem quest and some of the long @ss boss prequests?
  • FafnirEqualityFafnirEquality
    Reactions: 590
    edited October 2020
    As another poster touched on, I think it's worth considering adding a skip option for cutscenes that a player has already seen, which tend to be for questlines available to characters regardless of job. This already exists with the ending dialogue of Riena Strait; why not allow the same option for things like Mushroom Kingdom or Arcane River, both of which I've seen multiple times? You could argue that skipping is also a feature of Youtube cutscenes, although the primary reason for this is probably that some videos simply don't play.

Other RPGs make cutscene-skipping available for subsequent playthroughs of the story, and Maplestory requires approximately 40 playthroughs for someone to reach what is considered a reasonable stopping point for legion. I have no issue with unskippable job-related cutscenes or unskippable blockbusters.
  • Violent2Violent2
    edited October 2020

That's a pretty bold assertion. I believe you are wrong, because you could not have an RPG with the dialog setup in MapleStory alone. That's called a story. Therefore it is not the RPG aspect of the game. Engaging with your character in general is the RPG aspect of the game, and most people would likely define their RPG experience by using their characters skills, fighting monsters/mobs, and leveling up over npc dialog...

Also, the storyline in this dialog you're emphasizing as the RPG aspect of the game can be summarized in the Quest Log, and a 'TLDR' version by talking to the NPC again. And most people go through exhaustive questlines for an incentive irrelevant to storyline progression (i.e. boss pre-quest, item reward,).

I stand by my previous comment, I think it is wrong to be passive-aggressive towards players reiterating suggestions made by others before to make gameplay more enjoyable for everybody. Would you be upset if somebody was playing MapleStory for socializing and mob hunting rather than talking to the NPC's?

• ADeliColdCutADeliColdCut
    Reactions: 620
    edited October 2020

That's a pretty bold assertion. I believe you are wrong, because you could not have an RPG with the dialog setup in MapleStory alone. That's called a story. Therefore it is not the RPG aspect of the game. Engaging with your character in general is the RPG aspect of the game, and most people would likely define their RPG experience by using their characters skills, fighting monsters/mobs, and leveling up over npc dialog...

Also, the storyline in this dialog you're emphasizing as the RPG aspect of the game can be summarized in the Quest Log, and a 'TLDR' version by talking to the NPC again. And most people go through exhaustive questlines for an incentive irrelevant to storyline progression (i.e. boss pre-quest, item reward,).

I stand by my previous comment, I think it is wrong to be passive-aggressive towards players reiterating suggestions made by others before to make gameplay more enjoyable for everybody. Would you be upset if somebody was playing MapleStory for socializing and mob hunting rather than talking to the NPC's?

RPG = Role Playing Game
    While your assessment of how people would categorize an RPG might lend itself to be fairly well received, I would only caution against attempting to over-narrow a broad term.
    Engaging with your character in general is the RPG aspect of the game, and most people would likely define their RPG experience by using their characters skills, fighting monsters/mobs, and leveling up over npc dialog...

Since this thread has turned into a matter of "RPG" being a latent ambiguity, I would simply point out that there are Role-Playing Games (Not this one) that people indulge themselves in that possess none of the items you have enumerated.

Personally, I think it odd that a request for a cutscene skip somehow has turned into a discussion of "What is critical for an RPG to exist?" Perhaps we can move past these points and return to the heart of the matter:

Points in favor of skip
    Yes, the story is a core aspect of an RPG game, but the other core aspect of an RPG that is of equal importance is the ability for the user to control their immersion and experience within the "realm" of the adventure they choose to partake in. The ability to quickly move through dialog in one section so they may spend more time on the dialog (Or on other events related to their character) in another section is a valid argument for giving a person the unique experience they are seeking when playing an RPG.

There are many other games today on multiple different platforms that will permit users to skip through cutscenes. And any push back on this need only consider that Nexon themselves have implemented similar concepts into the game already. For example, the daily PQ's in the Arcane River areas provide the option to the player to "skip" that battle content.

Not only this, but with certain characters Nexon has already offered the ability to skip chunks of the story at the start of making those characters. Also can be seen in sections like the lvl 30 party quests like Rien Strait and Fairy Academy. So this concept exists in random parts of the game already, and the suggestion would be for a broadening of the idea.

So to this end, I don't think that the idea of asking for this is unreasonable. The game could consider a "Force the story and cutscene watching for accounts that are first registering the view" and then the subsequent viewing of that cutscene by that account could offer the option to skip.

Points against skip
    Time and effort is invested into the creation of a story. In many cases, it is the story that is a new addition and represents the continuation of the work done by a host company when you are in a period in which no skills or gameplay matters are being revised. People have put work and effort into these features, much like they have to the gameplay and the battle systems of a game. To permit someone to skip one part would necessarily raise the point that you could skip other parts if the desire is to provide full customization to the user.

One could unrealistically argue to an extreme that if you wanted to strip away the aesthetically pleasing part of a game, you would be left with 1's and 0's, or you could be an O that just attacks the same visible X over and over and over, despite each X potentially representing a different an unique enemy. An extreme example, I know, but the point is that we must recognize that we are playing a game that must set reasonable restrictions to what the user can tweak and change.

Final Comments
    Much as I mentioned before that the story in a game like this represents the hard work and effort of the company providing it and should be given proper respect, the same goes for the people that post on the forums here.

These are individuals who have taken time out of their day to provide comments or insights on a game that they have enjoyed. As the Terms and Conditions make very clear that we have all agreed to, the general player does not possess any ownership of any of the electronic property of this game. Therefore the comments and suggestions being made here come with no other desire than to improve the game they play.

I think the ability to skip more cutscenes, albeit with perhaps the stipulation first being that the user's account has already completed that cutscene in full previously, would be a nice time save function for the players to utilize at their discretion.

Always remember forum rules:
    Behavior Towards Nexon
    - You are free to express yourself on the forums but not on Nexon's expense.
    - This means we will not allow derogatory comments, threats, intellect insults, "crusades" against Nexon or our users, and other comments encouraging other members to accept a certain ideology about Nexon.
    - We do welcome feedback and constructive criticism.
    - Constructive criticism is the process of offering valid and well-reasoned opinions about the work of others, usually involving both positive and negative comments, in a friendly manner rather than an oppositional one.

Opinions
    - Opinions are welcomed. However, we do expect you to respect the opinions of others, even if you do not agree with them.
  • Violent2Violent2
    edited October 2020

RPG = Role Playing Game
    While your assessment of how people would categorize an RPG might lend itself to be fairly well received, I would only caution against attempting to over-narrow a broad term.
    Engaging with your character in general is the RPG aspect of the game, and most people would likely define their RPG experience by using their characters skills, fighting monsters/mobs, and leveling up over npc dialog...

Since this thread has turned into a matter of "RPG" being a latent ambiguity, I would simply point out that there are Role-Playing Games (Not this one) that people indulge themselves in that possess none of the items you have enumerated.

Personally, I think it odd that a request for a cutscene skip somehow has turned into a discussion of "What is critical for an RPG to exist?" Perhaps we can move past these points and return to the heart of the matter:

Points in favor of skip
    Yes, the story is a core aspect of an RPG game, but the other core aspect of an RPG that is of equal importance is the ability for the user to control their immersion and experience within the "realm" of the adventure they choose to partake in. The ability to quickly move through dialog in one section so they may spend more time on the dialog (Or on other events related to their character) in another section is a valid argument for giving a person the unique experience they are seeking when playing an RPG.

There are many other games today on multiple different platforms that will permit users to skip through cutscenes. And any push back on this need only consider that Nexon themselves have implemented similar concepts into the game already. For example, the daily PQ's in the Arcane River areas provide the option to the player to "skip" that battle content.

Not only this, but with certain characters Nexon has already offered the ability to skip chunks of the story at the start of making those characters. Also can be seen in sections like the lvl 30 party quests like Rien Strait and Fairy Academy. So this concept exists in random parts of the game already, and the suggestion would be for a broadening of the idea.

So to this end, I don't think that the idea of asking for this is unreasonable. The game could consider a "Force the story and cutscene watching for accounts that are first registering the view" and then the subsequent viewing of that cutscene by that account could offer the option to skip.

Points against skip
    Time and effort is invested into the creation of a story. In many cases, it is the story that is a new addition and represents the continuation of the work done by a host company when you are in a period in which no skills or gameplay matters are being revised. People have put work and effort into these features, much like they have to the gameplay and the battle systems of a game. To permit someone to skip one part would necessarily raise the point that you could skip other parts if the desire is to provide full customization to the user.

One could unrealistically argue to an extreme that if you wanted to strip away the aesthetically pleasing part of a game, you would be left with 1's and 0's, or you could be an O that just attacks the same visible X over and over and over, despite each X potentially representing a different an unique enemy. An extreme example, I know, but the point is that we must recognize that we are playing a game that must set reasonable restrictions to what the user can tweak and change.

Final Comments
    Much as I mentioned before that the story in a game like this represents the hard work and effort of the company providing it and should be given proper respect, the same goes for the people that post on the forums here.

These are individuals who have taken time out of their day to provide comments or insights on a game that they have enjoyed. As the Terms and Conditions make very clear that we have all agreed to, the general player does not possess any ownership of any of the electronic property of this game. Therefore the comments and suggestions being made here come with no other desire than to improve the game they play.

I think the ability to skip more cutscenes, albeit with perhaps the stipulation first being that the user's account has already completed that cutscene in full previously, would be a nice time save function for the players to utilize at their discretion.

Always remember forum rules:
    Behavior Towards Nexon
    - You are free to express yourself on the forums but not on Nexon's expense.
    - This means we will not allow derogatory comments, threats, intellect insults, "crusades" against Nexon or our users, and other comments encouraging other members to accept a certain ideology about Nexon.
    - We do welcome feedback and constructive criticism.
    - Constructive criticism is the process of offering valid and well-reasoned opinions about the work of others, usually involving both positive and negative comments, in a friendly manner rather than an oppositional one.

Opinions
    - Opinions are welcomed. However, we do expect you to respect the opinions of others, even if you do not agree with them.

I think you are mistaken, my definition of RPG included 'Engaging with your character in general is the RPG aspect of the game'. The specific examples I used were specifically about MapleStory, nothing to do with other RPG games that don't utilize these features. At the very base level, a RPG is happening through some engagement with your character, its a very broad definition actually, as even when you are talking to a NPC you are still engaged with your character.

To your negative points about cutscenes, most developers making games (console or PC oriented) allow the option to skip the story despite the effort they put in. Think about a campaign mode in a console game, the story is emphasized A LOT more so than it is in MapleStory (where the story was largely introduced after-the-fact), and it is almost always skippable if you aren't playing the game for the story.

And sorry, are you implying my comments were not appropriate given the terms of this forum? I am adamantly in favour of the suggestion being made by the OP, and I'm providing my reasoning. If you have an opinion that is different from OP's, you should express it in a well thought out manner, not as a back-handed passive-aggressive remark, would you agree with that? Because there are two clear examples of that above, and there isn't any rationale, it's just simply them being rude.
    1. Uhm. Ok.

2. I like stories.
    But I hate boss fights.
    What do you say?

Is that really showing respect to a differing opinion, like you mentioned in your quotation about forum rules?
  • ADeliColdCutADeliColdCut
    Reactions: 620
    edited October 2020
    Hello Violent2:

To clarify some points:

I think you are mistaken, my definition of RPG included 'Engaging with your character in general is the RPG aspect of the game'. The specific examples I used were specifically about MapleStory, nothing to do with other RPG games that don't utilize these features. At the very base level, a RPG is happening through some engagement with your character, its a very broad definition actually, as even when you are talking to a NPC you are still engaged with your character.
    Noted.
    To your negative points about cutscenes, most developers making games (console or PC oriented) allow the option to skip the story despite the effort they put in. Think about a campaign mode in a console game, the story is emphasized A LOT more so than it is in MapleStory (where the story was largely introduced after-the-fact), and it is almost always skippable if you aren't playing the game for the story.
    Yes, I agree with you as seen in my analysis mentioning that many other games provide this feature, and oddly enough, can also be seen in the very game we are talking about.
    And sorry, are you implying my comments were not appropriate given the terms of this forum? I am adamantly in favour of the suggestion being made by the OP, and I'm providing my reasoning. If you have an opinion that is different from OP's, you should express it in a well thought out manner, not as a back-handed passive-aggressive remark, would you agree with that? Because there are two clear examples of that above, and there isn't any rationale, it's just simply them being rude.
    You are broadening the scope of my post to beyond its intention by taking words out of context, so thank you for giving me the opportunity to clarify the structure.

My post possessed 3 sections to it:

1. A reply with quotations directly to your comments. (Individualized and specific to your post, but I will concede that I did include some statements about other posts that were not yours in the comments I had here, as my use of "thread" and "discussion" would inherently include more than one person contributing, so I am guilty of giving a broad statement when I was in a section that was structured narrowly.)
    2. My thoughts and input on the original suggestion. (Non-individualized but still specific to the subject-matter suggestion at hand)
    3. A general reminder on certain sections of the forum rules since it seemed to me multiple posts rested on the borderline of an infraction. (Non-individualized and heavily generalized message that is directed towards no one specific person)

Once my post shifted to the original topic of the thread, it really ceased to make any individualized reference to any one person. I see no reason to explain any further on this. I have no problems with your post or the effort and input you are giving and I enjoy reading the items you post, along with your reasoning.
    1. Uhm. Ok.

2. I like stories.
    But I hate boss fights.
    What do you say?
    Is that really showing respect to a differing opinion, like you mentioned in your quotation about forum rules?
    Noted and commented insofar as I would like to on this matter above. See section 3 explanation above.

As mentioned, I believe certain sections of my post are taken out of context and that may have resulted in some misinterpretation. Hopefully I've clarified this and I apologize if my desired intent was not structured well enough to convey it more clearly.

In general, I agree with much of your thoughts on the matter, which I believe is reflected in my analysis of the suggestion.

To re-focus back to the Subject-Matter of this Suggestion:
    I think including more "Skip this cutscene" options in the game would be nice, but perhaps with a stipulation that the user's account has fulfilled a condition precedent of already fully watching/viewing the cutscene in its entirety (Where applicable and where fast skips do not already exist inherently in the game).

I do really like much of the story in the game, and I really have enjoyed the story telling that exists throughout the Arcane River, specifically. And while I think the stories behind Dark World Tree and Black Heaven are great, I think that the sheer length of these story arcs, when done in full (BH mandatory for Lotus), becomes needlessly tedious when you wish to raise up a second, third, fourth or more characters to this level of game play. Players wishing to do this multiple times already show by circumstantial evidence that they enjoy the game a great deal, and I think it is reasonable that when a player meets this requirement, they should be given a little bit more discretion to speed up certain non-skill based aspects of the game.

First time through a story? I have no problem with not including this feature for story dialog or cutscene movies or other items of similar nature.

Cheers!
    SlicedTime
  • SlicedTimeSlicedTime
    Reactions: 1,720
    edited October 2020
    I like stories.
    But I hate boss fights.
    What do you say?

Yes, but that wouldn't really work in an MMO, now would it? If this was a single-player game there would be no real drawback for implementing that.

I think the crux of the matter is that plenty of people are playing this and many other games for the gameplay, and not for the story. From this perspective, the NPC dialogue, cutscenes, and such only serve as an interruption to the core gameplay loop instead of really enhancing it. I'd estimate that this issue is only made worse by the fact that most of the NPC dialogue is honestly not at all worth paying attention to. In addition, I feel like environmental storytelling isn't made much use of which probably doesn't help, though I am having a hard time actually qualifying that statement.
  • AggraphineAggraphine
    edited October 2020
    SlicedTime wrote: »
    I like stories.
    But I hate boss fights.
    What do you say?

Yes, but that wouldn't really work in an MMO, now would it? If this was a single-player game there would be no real drawback for implementing that.

I think the crucks of the matter is that plenty of people are playing this and many other games for the gameplay, and not for the story. From this perspective, the NPC dialogue, cutscenes, and such only serve as an interruption to the core gameplay loop instead of really enhancing it. I'd estimate that this issue is only made worse by the fact that most of the NPC dialogue is honestly not at all worth paying attention to. In addition, I feel like environmental storytelling isn't made much use of which probably doesn't help, though I am having a hard time actually qualifying that statement.

If you're expecting no story content from a game, perhaps the game with the word "story" literally in its name is not a good first choice. The game is, at a core level, an RPG. There will be story content in an RPG. There are plenty of other games out there that focus solely on the gameplay and have zero story-based content in them.

Further, the post you quoted is making the point that this suggestion is silly, among other things. It would be one thing if the OP was making the point that more things ought to be given account-wide completion flags(which we've seen done with black heaven and heroes of maple), but the post as written can just as easily be assumed to be asking for a means to completely skirt the story content and never sit through it. Which, again, this is an RPG, story-based content is to be expected.

Side note: for future reference, "crux" is the right spelling.
  • SlicedTimeSlicedTime
    Reactions: 1,720
    edited October 2020
    SlicedTime wrote: »
    I like stories.
    But I hate boss fights.
    What do you say?

I think the crucks of the matter is that plenty of people are playing this and many other games for the gameplay, and not for the story. From this perspective, the NPC dialogue, cutscenes, and such only serve as an interruption to the core gameplay loop instead of really enhancing it. I'd estimate that this issue is only made worse by the fact that most of the NPC dialogue is honestly not at all worth paying attention to. In addition, I feel like environmental storytelling isn't made much use of which probably doesn't help, though I am having a hard time actually qualifying that statement.

If you're expecting no story content from a game, perhaps the game with the word "story" literally in its name is not a good first choice. The game is, at a core level, an RPG. There will be story content in an RPG. There are plenty of other games out there that focus solely on the gameplay and have zero story-based content in them.

That's not the point here though. Obviously an MMORPG is going to have story stuff in it, I'm not arguing against that. What's important here if people want to listen to the story or play the actual game itself. Having the option to skip dialogue and cutscenes would simply enhance the gameplay experience of the people who don't care about the story, without really affecting the actual gameplay experience of the game or taking anything away from the players that care.

Further, the post you quoted is making the point that this suggestion is silly, among other things. It would be one thing if the OP was making the point that more things ought to be given account-wide completion flags(which we've seen done with black heaven and heroes of maple), but the post as written can just as easily be assumed to be asking for a means to completely skirt the story content and never sit through it. Which, again, this is an RPG, story-based content is to be expected.

This may be a hot take, but I honestly don't find that suggestion that silly, even if it was made in jest. Say someone actually plays the game for the story. Their story experience is constantly interrupted by repetitive tasks e.g. go to a place and kill these guys, kill the same guys again but in higher numbers, collect ten bear asses, etc. If this were a singleplayer game, for those players skipping the gameplay would be a desirable option.

And honestly, how bad is it to skip the story anyways? They would not be skipping the gameplay itself, them skipping the story wouldn't affect anyone else, and more importantly, they wouldn't have anything that'd be worth considering as an advantage.

Side note: for future reference, "crux" is the right spelling.
    Noted. Turns out "crucks" are a completely different thing.

Also a snide remark against @ADeliColdCut's Time and Effort point. While I appreciate your viewpoint, what about all of the "irrelevant" content in the game? That also took time and effort to create, yet hardly anyone is experiencing it. What should also be taken into account is that people are spending their time and effort to play this game, so should the game not respect their time by allowing them to skip the non-gameplay parts so they can play more of the game?